Moisturizer

min

What do you use as moisturizer?

How bad are the common moisturizers sold in grocery stores (Olay, Cetaphil, Nivea, Dove, etc)?

I get dry skin. Adopting a healthier diet has improved many areas of my health but has actually made my skin even more dry, strangely enough. So I'm curious.

For those of you who use coconut oil as moisturizer - how do you store it and take it out? I tried using it as moisturizer a long time ago but it felt very awkward taking it out from the jar with a spoon and rubbing the wax-like substance on my face, waiting for it to melt, then having everything around me get greasy because it took a long time to absorb into my face and hands...

Beebop

I just take a bit out of the pot with my fingers, rub it into my hands first to melt it then rub my face. If there's too much left on my hands I'll rub the excess into my arms, elbows etc. I haven't really noticed a problem with needing to wait for absorption.

I would say that all those commercial brands are full of rubbish and not worth it.

You could make your own moisturiser by combining coconut oil, Vitamin E, cocoa butter and shea butter, maybe a small amount of olive oil too. Ultimately it will always have a different texture to shop stuff, but then it will also be giving you goodness, while the shop stuff will not be.

jyb

When I have dry skin, I usually think of it as a symptom being nutrient deplete. I typically don't have dry skin any more if I eat plenty and with weekly serving of liver or oysters. I would like to apply coconut oil topically, but I avoid it on my face as I have acne problems and I find it best to never wash nor moisturise it.

4peatssake

I only use coconut oil on my skin.

I'm like Beebop and simply stick my fingers in the tub of it and rub my hands together. I have a jar of it dedicated for my skin and leave it in the bathroom. I don't have a problem with excess either and do the same if I've taken too much and put it on my arms, legs and other parts of my body.

In the winter, it is solid but in the summer months it turns to liquid.

Another tip is to apply it to wet skin. This is what I do when I shower or bathe. I apply it to my wet skin and the absorption is quick. I do this instead of toweling off my body - it is a full body moisturizer after a bath or shower.

The other thing I do for my skin is take baths with 2 c epsom salt and 1 c baking soda. That is heavenly. ;)

jyb

chris said:
jyb - Where are you getting oysters from?

A local fishmonger, so I get them fresh. I live as far as you can get from the sea.

I would like to use an easier to store and eat form. However, I absolutely don't trust the canned oysters from Sainsbury's: they are smoked, stored in pufa, and the can lining probably leaches chemicals.

chris

Ah, I will try check for fishmongers in a market near me. I live in Leeds, pretty much dead centre inbetween east and west coasts, not ideal.

jyb

@chris: Waitrose often has a fresh meat/fish section. That's kinda ideal, because then you can get both liver and oysters easily.

HDD

I use coconut oil, too. I have some in little jars that fit in my purse.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals