Modern Diet Myth No. 3: Seed oils cause heart disease

Daimyo

[/post]
During the 1990s a natural experiment occurred in Poland. Following major political changes some government subsidies were removed raising the prices on saturated animal fats; less expensive seed oils like canola and soybean oils flooded into Poland. But was this sudden rush of seed oils bad news for heart health?

On the contrary, between 1990 and 2002 rates of heart disease in Poland fell by about 40% in both men and women, a remarkable change in such a short period.[/quote]

In 1989 old communism regime was transformed into something new, with much more free market. One could argue that it could be literal everything, for example we got access to year round fresh fruit (before Poles got oranges only for Christmas, like 2-3 oranges per person). On top of that maybe the price of animal product might have gone up (initially), as the free market was restored, the meat, eggs become very affordable. They weren't rationalized,as during the communism time.

My mum was poor (as most of people during the communism time) and she told me that the bread with margarine was a big part of a diet when she was young. One thing I remember was that my mum always used a lot of butter for her sandwiches when I asked why she said - "it's because I missed it so much when I was young".

It could be also better access to lifesaving medicines, people going to the gym (assuming it's good), better health and safety regulations... Everything.

SarahBeara

Or simply enough food in general? Borderline starvation is very stressful and anorexics have a lot of heart problems in later life even if they recover.

DaveFoster

"They raised the prices on saturated fats and heart disease decreased. No correlation there; obviously it's causation." One thing's for sure, consumption of seed oils promotes mental retardation.

XPlus

skepticalnutritionist said:
None of the arguments against seed oils stands up to any scrutiny. Critics of seed oils tend not to dwell on the fact that polyunsaturated fats lower the level of cholesterol in the blood, which lowers heart disease risk. Or that saturated fat raises blood cholesterol, which increases heart disease risk. Instead, they argue that the whole cholesterol story is wrong, ignoring the last 60 years of research in the process. - See more at: http://scepticalnutritionist.com.au/?p= ... YF9V4.dpuf

Daimyo said:
In 1989 old communism regime was transformed into something new, with much more free market. One could argue that it could be literal everything, for example we got access to year round fresh fruit (before Poles got oranges only for Christmas, like 2-3 oranges per person). On top of that maybe the price of animal product might have gone up (initially), as the free market was restored, the meat, eggs become very affordable. They weren't rationalized,as during the communism time.

Daimyo said:
It could be also better access to lifesaving medicines, people going to the gym (assuming it's good), better health and safety regulations... Everything.

DaveFoster said:
post 112324 "They raised the prices on saturated fats and heart disease decreased. No correlation there; obviously it's causation." One thing's for sure, consumption of seed oils promotes mental retardation.

Yeahs.
I'm unsure whether to trust my hairline or this guy but he seems legit.
That's why they use linseed oil in wood glazing and there's also the rest of the modern world who outperform the French in acquiring CHD.

narouz said:
XPlus said:
That also attracts a lot of Australian argumentators.

You're gonna have to take that up with tara. :)

tara said:
Kaz Cooke, argumentative Australian from way back :) ).

Speaking of argumentative Australians, what happened to our beloved Stuart.
The drop dead gorgeous writing above full of scientifically correct confidence sounds familiar :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Israel has the highest omega 6 PUFA consumption in the world today. And faces some of the worst health problems. This mainstream study says it's "paradoxical" LOL.

Israel has one of the highest dietary polyunsaturated/saturated fat ratios in the world; the consumption of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) is about 8% higher than in the USA, and 10-12% higher than in most European countries. In fact, Israeli Jews may be regarded as a population-based dietary experiment of the effect of a high omega-6 PUFA diet, a diet that until recently was widely recommended. Despite such national habits, there is paradoxically a high prevalence of cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and obesity-all diseases that are associated with hyperinsulinemia (HI) and insulin resistance (IR), and grouped together as the insulin resistance syndrome or syndrome X. There is also an increased cancer incidence and mortality rate, especially in women, compared with western countries. Studies suggest that high omega-6 linoleic acid consumption might aggravate HI and IR, in addition to being a substrate for lipid peroxidation and free radical formation. Thus, rather than being beneficial, high omega-6 PUFA diets may have some long-term side effects, within the cluster of hyperinsulinemia, atherosclerosis and tumorigenesis.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals