Moderate Whisky With Meal Reduces Brain Tryptophan

Kingpinguin

Moderate Whisky Consumption in Combination With an Evening Meal Reduces Tryptophan Availability to the Brain but Does Not Influence Performance in Healthy Volunteers - PubMed

The plasma Trp:LNAA ratio showed a significant decline 2 h after whisky consumption of alcohol (P<0.001). No effects were found on choice reaction time or mood as compared with the control condition. The present findings reveal that whisky consumption alters available plasma Trp for uptake into the brain, whereas there were no effects on mood and performance.

Moderate Whisky Consumption in Combination With an Evening Meal Reduces Tryptophan Availability to the Brain but Does Not Influence Performance in Healthy Volunteers - PubMed

The plasma Trp:LNAA ratio showed a significant decline 2 h after whisky consumption of alcohol (P<0.001). No effects were found on choice reaction time or mood as compared with the control condition. The present findings reveal that whisky consumption alters available plasma Trp for uptake into the brain, whereas there were no effects on mood and performance.

Hmm. Need some clarification, would plain vodka or wine work? If it's whisky only then there is some chemicals specific to whisky

lampofred

lowers serotonin but lowers progesterone and increases estrogen too

lampofred

where is that claim from? Links please.

In one of Dr. Peat's newsletters (from the MEGA newsletter thread) he writes that alcohol lowers serotonin and in other places he has said that it's estrogenic.

OP
Kingpinguin

Kingpinguin

Hmm. Need some clarification, would plain vodka or wine work? If it's whisky only then there is some chemicals specific to whisky

there is no clarification. Could be specific to moderate alcohol with food. Imo stronger cleaner stuff like vodka, whisky seems better though than beer and wine. Wine has histamine in it and can be allergenic, beer estrogenic etc.
Whisky has some special compounds like anti-oxidants. The more aged the more anti-oxidants. It even has more anti oxidants than red wine.
And whisky has always been seen as a medicin. It has anti bacterial, anti viral activity, it protects from stroke, heart attack and all cause mortality. So could be specific to whisky. But still doubt it and I think vodka would equally limit tryptophan. But I dunno its just guess.

OP
Kingpinguin

Kingpinguin

In one of Dr. Peat's newsletters (from the MEGA newsletter thread) he writes that alcohol lowers serotonin and in other places he has said that it's estrogenic.

i think the reason why it can increase eatrogen and why he says so is simple. The liver is the major detoxification organ for estrogen. What does alcohol consumption do to the liver? Damage it, slows it down.
But I think with responsible drinking to eliminate that burden. Drink low amounts and with food that helps dilute the alcohol and reduce burden on the liver it wont have an estrogen boosting effect. Im in no way saying people should drink alcohol regularly. But I am however of the belief that 1 small drink now and then can be beneficial.
Alcohol consumption in that way has been shown to prolong life expectancy. In those amounts it has shown to lower cortisol. And shown to increase testosterone.
As always. Its not the substance that makes the poison. Its the dose. Many compounds are beneficial in certain doses and toxic in others. Even vitamins, hormones and minerals.

Drinking Alcohol Could Be the Key to Living Past 90

Testosterone Increases in Men After a Low Dose of Alcohol - PubMed

The Effect of Alcohol on Testosterone Concentrations in Alcohol-Preferring and Non-Preferring Rat Lines - PubMed

Alcohol consumption and hormonal alterations related to muscle hypertrophy: a review

Conversely, a slightly lower intake (0.5 g/kg) has been shown to actually increase circulating testosterone from 13.6 nmol/L to 16 nmol/L (+17%) 2 hours after ingestion [69].

Finally, acute alcohol intake is associated with HPG axis activation in both animals and humans, although the mechanism by which it influences neurosecretory cells of the hypothalamus to release gonadotropin-releasing hormones is unclear.3840 The presence of these hormones in the bloodstream influences the release of neuroactive steroids from the gonads into the circulation.

So if used in the right way. Alcohol likely increases androgens and neurosteroids. Reduces serotonin and prolactin. Increases GABA and dopamine.

I would assume thay even a smal daily whisky with food say 4cl would be beneficial long term for
Stress reduction and longevity

Last edited:
Famous Grouse Scotch Whisky 125ml

Attachments

• d967bff953199c02a10ae05fa85e73b60695.pdf
    121.5 KB · Views: 17
B

Braveheart

i think the reason why it can increase eatrogen and why he says so is simple. The liver is the major detoxification organ for estrogen. What does alcohol consumption do to the liver? Damage it, slows it down.
But I think with responsible drinking to eliminate that burden. Drink low amounts and with food that helps dilute the alcohol and reduce burden on the liver it wont have an estrogen boosting effect. Im in no way saying people should drink alcohol regularly. But I am however of the belief that 1 small drink now and then can be beneficial.
Alcohol consumption in that way has been shown to prolong life expectancy. In those amounts it has shown to lower cortisol. And shown to increase testosterone.
As always. Its not the substance that makes the poison. Its the dose. Many compounds are beneficial in certain doses and toxic in others. Even vitamins, hormones and minerals.

The Effect of Alcohol on Testosterone Concentrations in Alcohol-Preferring and Non-Preferring Rat Lines - PubMed

Alcohol consumption and hormonal alterations related to muscle hypertrophy: a review

Conversely, a slightly lower intake (0.5 g/kg) has been shown to actually increase circulating testosterone from 13.6 nmol/L to 16 nmol/L (+17%) 2 hours after ingestion [69].

Finally, acute alcohol intake is associated with HPG axis activation in both animals and humans, although the mechanism by which it influences neurosecretory cells of the hypothalamus to release gonadotropin-releasing hormones is unclear.3840 The presence of these hormones in the bloodstream influences the release of neuroactive steroids from the gonads into the circulation.

So if used in the right way. Alcohol likely increases androgens and neurosteroids. Reduces serotonin and prolactin. Increases GABA and dopamine.

I would assume thay even a smal daily whisky with food say 4cl would be beneficial long term for
Thanks,...I will continue my daily brandy

GelatinGoblin

Alcohol increases absorption of Endotoxin and amplifies its damage, Endotoxin damages the Liver and is Estrogenic.