Mitolife Radio - Busting Sugar Myths With Atom Bergstrom

_lppaiva

Can we all talk about the potato Atom vs Peat debate? One says it's the most marvelous food in the world while the other says not so much.

I don't have the $$ to buy his books yet, so I can't attest for his reasons. Anyone knows anything about it?

OP
Inaut

Inaut

Sorry @Homo Consumericus . i wasn't as into the bergstrom interview so I never made mental notes. He's interesting but sometimes I cut out.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Can we all talk about the potato Atom vs Peat debate? One says it's the most marvelous food in the world while the other says not so much.
Ray Peat said it is almost the perfect food.

_lppaiva

With enough benfotiamine, salt, and red meat, I agree!
And fat
Ray Peat said it is almost the perfect food.
Not really. I think he talked about the PROTEIN In potatoes being good quality, similar to milk (both are high in Tryptophan, yet one has the calcium to offset it, I wonder if potatoes have something also), he also said that in the context of a healthy Digestion, it can be eaten, but when fruit or sugar is available it's better. Not so sure that would qualify as a "perfect food"

Also, the stress response from starch is really worrisome due to the insulin spike (and really worried me also, I only eat them because too much fructose was giving me liver pain) while Atom doesn't seem to worry that much.

I think that potatoes might be superior than rice though, which is something some people on the forum eat. Being high in Potassium and having relatively high protein might help.

yerrag

the stress response from starch is really worrisome due to the insulin spike

I used to look at potatoes this way, the same way I looked at white rice. For twenty years I ate brown rice.

I had a terrible insulin response to white rice and potatoes, and believed very much the concept of glycemic index. But when I stopped taking PUFAs, I no longer had a stress response after four years. It made no difference whether I was eating white or brown rice. I ditched the brown rice, because who wouldn't? White rice tastes better, and what could be better than having your cake and eating it too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals