Mirtazapine

Jing

Is mirtazapine safe? I have tried it in the past but couple years ago I remember feeling very tired during the day with it but did sleep better . It causes hunger what is the mechanism of this? Lower cortisol less blood sugar? Or maybe promethazine?

Last edited:

aguineapig

Pretty much all 5-HT2C antagonists cause hunger, I believe.

I've never tried mirtazipine, but it's certainly an interesting drug. With the affinity values listed on Wikipedia, I don't think more than a few mgs would be necessary apart from really serious situations. What doses do you take and what time of day? These types of drugs seem best taken at night to minimize the negatives of the sedation, in fact taking advantage of it.

Jessie

It may, but mirtazipine is more known for it's anti-serotonin effects. Safety is fair, but there is side effects. If you're looking to lower cortisol there's better more accessible options. Low dose pregnenolone/progesterone, niacinamide, emodin, theanine, and magnolia are all great options.

OP
J

Jing

It may, but mirtazipine is more known for it's anti-serotonin effects. Safety is fair, but there is side effects. If you're looking to lower cortisol there's better more accessible options. Low dose pregnenolone/progesterone, niacinamide, emodin, theanine, and magnolia are all great options.
I want to use it for sleep

OP
J

Jing

Magnolia is a cortisol antagonist and it's also a common "all natural" sleep aid. May be worth a try.
Maybe one day but I've tried soo many things to help me sleep and they just never work

Jessie

Maybe one day but I've tried soo many things to help me sleep and they just never work
Are you eating enough carbs and salt before bed? What about magnesium status?If GABA agonists and/or cortisol antagonists aren't helping you sleep then the problem could be nutritional.

OP
J

Jing

Are you eating enough carbs and salt before bed? What about magnesium status?If GABA agonists and/or cortisol antagonists aren't helping you sleep then the problem could be nutritional.
Yh I eat enough carbs and salt I take magnesium never helps with sleep.

What do you hate about it?
Can cause intense weight and gain and all-day long fatigue. It's not uncommon for people to lay in bed 12 hours on this drug.

meatbag

It is like a shittier cyproheptadine. Made me get really bad edema and messed up my leg veins. Still better than anything else a doctor is likely to prescribe

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals