Mirtazapine Vs Trazodone For Serotonin Antagonism

Which one of these medication are better as a serotonin antagonist? I need one of those mainly for what i believe is anxiety caused by excess serotonin. I have seen that Mirtazapine is more popular on this forum but i dont understand why. The antihistamine effects of this medication is too much compared to its antiserotonergic effects. Also Trazodone is not associated with weight gain and appetite stimulation unlike Mirtazapine which is caused by 5ht2c antagonism. Wouldnt more selective 5ht2a antagonism of Trazodone be better for anxiety? Thanks

Last edited:

moa

I think serotonin in the brain is more related to learned helplessness, the feeling of mental rigidity, depression, loss of memory, dementia, autism.

Anxiety is more related to lack of GABA, caused by a temporary lack of glucose CO2 and other nutrients in the brain. Try increase your carbs, liver glycogen stores.

Taurine, glycine, theanine may help in the meantime. Supplements of GABA does not pass the brain barrier I think.

ebs

You ask a question then provide an answer for it yourself.

It seems like you've taken mirtazapine before because the 'antihistamine effect of this medication is too much compared to anti-serotonin effects'. So if you had a bad experience with mirtazapine you could try out trazodone.

Personally I prefer mirtazapine. Both are effective for sleep but overall I didn't like how trazodone made me feel. I think mirtazapine is more powerful as an antiserotonergic because it definitely lifts my mood comparable to other anti serotonin supplements. I did not recognise this with trazodone.

However purely for anxiety I'm not sure mirtazapine is very suitable. Perhaps others who used this for this reason can provide a better answer.