Mirtazapine Or Other SSRI Make You Look Older(sagging And Sunken Face)

golem119

Hi

Around two months ago, I took 15 mg of mirtazapine for sleep, and the next morning I noticed my face became sagging and look like my skin have no elasticity, and within week, I noticed some part of my also sunken in. Anyone experience the same?

olive

Why would you take 15mg for sleep? Past 7.5mg it is stimulatory. You probably just slept poorly (because you took entirely too much) and noticed the effect of a poor nights sleep. I don’t think an anecdotal review from a one time use is very useful.

Mirtazapine is actually pretty peat-y for an SSRI. Lowers cortisol powerfully, improves REM sleep, increases BMR, improves body composition (calories equated), enhances neurosteroid production, increases gut motility, stimulates appetite powerfully, switches the body to prefer carbohydrate metabolism, increases nutrient absorption in the gut, etc.

Last edited:
OP
G

golem119

Why would you take 15mg for sleep? Past 7.5mg it is stimulatory. You probably just slept poorly (because you took entirely too much) and noticed the effect of a poor nights sleep. I don’t think an anecdotal review from a one time use is very useful.

Mirtazapine is actually pretty peat-y for an SSRI. Lowers cortisol powerfully, improves REM sleep, increases BMR, improves body composition (calories equated), enhances neurosteroid production, increases gut motility, stimulates appetite powerfully, switches the body to prefer carbohydrate metabolism, increases nutrient absorption in the gut, etc.
Hi

Maybe you are right that poor sleep is the cause but I am not sure because the facial change occurred right after I took it even tho I was having sleep issue for about a week already, and I did notice slight improvement after discontinued the drug( but had to go back to it because of sleep problem)

Also I not here to write review I am just asking if anyone here experience the same so I know whether it’s the drug or other factors that caused sudden change in facial features

broozer

your right on lowering cortisol but i took it at 7,5mg for 2 years and my face was swollen. also my belly was at 90cm,without its 75. thought it seemed to be edema due to maybe allergic reaction. i think the strong sedation is different in individuals. i was alomst bedridden. cognition was above baseline i admit. also it made me rather horny.

OP
G

golem119

your right on lowering cortisol but i took it at 7,5mg for 2 years and my face was swollen. also my belly was at 90cm,without its 75. thought it seemed to be edema due to maybe allergic reaction. i think the strong sedation is different in individuals. i was alomst bedridden. cognition was above baseline i admit. also it made me rather horny.
Hi

Did you also have any other skin side effects such as loss of plumpness on skin and sunken face? How long did it take you to recover after stopping the drug?

Thanks

ebs

I've been taking mirtazapine for years and I have not noticed this at all. It may however increase water retention but no skin deterioration.

ebs

I've been taking mirtazapine for years and I have not noticed this at all. It may however increase water retention but no skin deterioration.

Sheik

15mg makes me sleep well. It's also not an SSRI.

jyb

I agree that Mirtazapine and Cyproheptadine make me feel and look older and unrested, even after the initial buildup period, just like after any night of poor sleep. I have experimented with both for several years, from very small to very large doses. In theory it shouldn't be the case, as it should promote deep sleep unlike the more common sleeping pills alternatives, but in practice I am not observing healthy effects.

I now reserve those for sleep emergencies only - hopefully, never.

Last edited:
OP
G

golem119

I agree that Mirtazapine and Cyproheptadine make me feel and look older and unrested, even after the initial buildup period, just like after any night of poor sleep. I have experimented with both for several years, from very small to very large doses. In theory it shouldn't be the case, as it should promote deep sleep unlike the more common sleeping pills alternatives, but in practice I am not observing healthy effects.

Hi, how long did it take for your face to return to normal after stopping mirtazapine? It’s been a week for me and I only notice slight improvement

DaveFoster

Generally, dosages above 30 mg have a stimulating effect, but all concentrations have that effect to some degree.

ebs

Generally, dosages above 30 mg have a stimulating effect, but all concentrations have that effect to some degree.

True. There's no magical difference just that the effects get stronger with the dose.

At some point a dose becomes less effective for sleep and then you need more for the same sedating effect but it does become more stimulating the more you take. But unlike benzos it takes up to 6 months or more for the effect to become less potent.

jyb

Hi, how long did it take for your face to return to normal after stopping mirtazapine? It’s been a week for me and I only notice slight improvement

I expect the side effect to be the same as a poor night's sleep, so I would give it a few days of quality sleep.

OP
G

golem119

Have you tried Phenergan? Does it have the same affect on appearance?

jyb

Have you tried Phenergan? Does it have the same affect on appearance?

I have not. I am not curious about trying another anti-histamine - I will stick to cyproheptadine if I need one, unless there is a good reason to try an alternative.

DaveFoster

True. There's no magical difference just that the effects get stronger with the dose.

At some point a dose becomes less effective for sleep and then you need more for the same sedating effect but it does become more stimulating the more you take. But unlike benzos it takes up to 6 months or more for the effect to become less potent.
Interesting, thank you.

olive

That’s not true. Mirtazapine has wildly different effects at different dosages because it meets thresholds for receptor affinity at specific doses. Ie at 7.5mg mirtazapine is sedative but at 45mg there is enough to inhibit alpha-2 receptors which causes a net stimulatory effect.