Minocycline Decreased Body Fat Accumulation From High-fat Diet And Improved The Microbiome Profile

Conclusion pasted at the bottom.

Energy-dense diet triggers changes in gut microbiota, reorganization of gut-brain vagal communication and increases body fat accumulation
Energy-dense diet triggers changes in gut microbiota, reorganization of gut-brain vagal communication and increases body fat accumulation
Alexandra C. Vaughn et al.
Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars). 2017; 77(1): 18–30.
PMCID: PMC5382806
NIHMSID: NIHMS850592
PMID: 28379213

Sprague-Dawley rats consumed a low energy-dense rodent diet (LFD; 3.1 kcal/g) or high energy-dense diet (HFD, 5.24 kcal/g). Minocycline was used to manipulate gut microbiota composition. [...] HFD altered gut microbiota with increases in Firmicutes/Bacteriodetes ratio and in pro-inflammatory Proteobacteria proliferation. HFD triggered reorganization of vagal afferents and microglia activation in the NTS, associated with weight gain. Minocycline-treated HFD rats exhibited microbiota profile comparable to LFD animals. Minocycline suppressed HFD-induced reorganization of vagal afferents and microglia activation in the NTS, and reduced body fat accumulation. Proteobacteria isolated from cecum of HFD rats were toxic to vagal afferent neurons in culture. Our findings show that diet-induced shift in gut microbiome may disrupt vagal gut-brain communication resulting in microglia activation and increased body fat accumulation.
[...]
Seven days on HFD led to a significant increase in the abundance of several orders belonging to the Firmicutes (Erysipelotrichales), Terenicutes (Entomoplasmatales, Mycoplasmatales), Proteobacteria (Rhodocyclales, Altermondales), Cyanobacteria (Nostocales, Chroococcales) and Verrucomicrobia (Puniceicoccales).
[...]
7 days of minocycline exposure were sufficient to significantly reduce the HFD-induced proliferation of bacterial orders mentioned above, leading to normalization of abundance or significant depletion (Nostocales, Chroococcales). Minocycline prevented HFD-induced depletion of Bacteroidales and Sphingobacteriales. In LFD animals, minocycline alone significantly reduced the abundance of obesity-associated Puniceicoccales, Chroococcales and Clostridiales. Similar results were observed after 21 days on minocycline. Minocycline led to normalization or depletion of HFD-associated bacterial orders and restored HFD-depleted orders.
[...]
in this study we chose to use a lower dose and a different rout of administration to avoid “wiping out” the gut microbiota. Minocycline has been reported to have potential weight-loss effect (Sun et al. 2015) which may be related to its targeting specific obesity-associated bacterial strains.
[...]
Taken together, the results show that HFD induces changes in the diversity of the intestinal microbiota, and alters the gut-brain communication resulting in inflammation of the hindbrain feeding centers associated with overeating, overweight and increased in body fat accumulation. Normalization of microbiota composition via minocycline blunted the effects of HFD on hindbrain inflammation, energy intake and adiposity, which let us to conclude that a HFD triggered shift in gut microbiome may disrupt vagal gut-brain communication resulting in microglia activation and increased body fat accumulation leading to obesity.

(Sorry if this study has been posted before. Wouldn't be surprised if it has as it is very interesting and confirms a lot of what Peat has said).

DrJ

Really interesting and thanks for posting. I couldn't find where they say what the fat makeup was of the high energy-dense diet. I suspect it wasn't highly saturated. My understanding is that saturated fats have an antibacterial effect on the intestine. So I wonder if it may be the case that a highly saturated fact consumption would have a similar effect to this 'undescribed' fat content diet with the minocycline acting as the antibacterial. I notice with eating high saturated fat diet that my stomach tends to stay slimmer. I can gain weight on it if I'm not active, but hitting the weights a little more consistently seems to make up for it.

lvysaur

My understanding is that saturated fats have an antibacterial effect on the intestine.
I have heard this repeated before, but it doesn't have any veracity. PUFA oils don't decompose any faster than SFAs; all fats are anti-bacterial.

tomisonbottom

I have heard this repeated before, but it doesn't have any veracity. PUFA oils don't decompose any faster than SFAs; all fats are anti-bacterial.

That's untrue.

If you leave vegetable oil out and uncovered, next to coconut oil, you'll see very easily that they oxidize much faster.

I've left coconut oil out for months uncovered and it wasn't effected.

here's a study comparing palm to sunflower, and the sunflower oxidized much more

http://www.ijirset.com/upload/2016/may/2A_Effect.pdf