Minocycline Antibiotic Log And Constipation Woes

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Scored some Minocycline locally, yesterday. Don't PM me and ask me how I am not going to tell you. :mrgreen:

Taking it for suspected bacteria overgrowth in stomach causing constipation. Also taking it for infected gums. At this time, I cannot go # 2 without taking cascara. There is NO movement there. I was also told it would clear up the acne I have.

I was told to watch out for rashes, skin discoloration, including blue skin, and signs of lupus. If any of those signs happen, immediately stop taking antibiotic.

Started on Friday the 24th, took 2 100 mg pills in the AM as the starting dose, and then 100 mg pill at night. From here on out, It will be 100 mg twice a day. I have 15 days worth of medicine. At day 10 I will evaluate and then decide if I want to move forward with the rest.

First day, got a little headache, not bad. Also, a litle bit dizzy. At night when I was going to try and go to sleep, all of a sudden my ears started ringing really loud. Crazy loud like I have never heard before. But then it stopped as quick as it came.

Day 2, feeling a little off, a little dizzy, but other then that I am OK.

I will update more as I go along.

Birdie

Re: Minocycline Antibiotic Log

Appreciate your starting this log. I've been reading about minocycline and hope to use it too.

HDD

Would any other antibiotic work, such as ciproflaxin? I happen to have a bottle.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

From what I gather. Cipro is some really hard stuff and should only be taken as a last resort. Maybe some others can chime in. But for me, I will try to avoid it.

peatarian

Charlie said:
First day, got a little headache, not bad. Also, a litle bit dizzy. At night when I was going to try and go to sleep, all of a sudden my ears started ringing really loud. Crazy loud like I have never heard before. But then it stopped as quick as it came.

Charlie, I think the headache and the dizziness come from low blood sugar. Always eat something sugary before you use the minocycline.
The ringing ears are pretty common when you start using aspirin. I remember having that when I started.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Peatarian, I will make sure to get some sugar in beforehand now, thank you! :)

peatarian

Haagendazendiane said:
Would any other antibiotic work, such as ciproflaxin? I happen to have a bottle.

I have experience with doxycycline and tetracycline derivates. I didn't have problems with doxy but I would (as Ray Peat did) always recommend tetracyclines over all other antibiotics. There are no side effects if you make sure to eat enough, especially sugar, before using tetracyclines. Otherwise you might get a headache, feel nauseated or dizzy. Ciproflaxin is supposed to be one of the safer antibiotics but compared to tetracyclines it is very hard on the liver and can cause estrogen related problems.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Regarding warnings about staying out in the sun on the antibiotic document. I am wondering if I should not be doing my red light therapy at this point? Or, should I cut way back. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Ray-Z

Thanks for starting this thread, Charlie. :cool:

In other threads (particularly the serotonin thread, IIRC), peatarian helpfully lists key passages about antibiotics from Ray Peat's articles.

I don't think I've seen or heard advice from Peat about dosing antibiotics -- how much, how many days, and so forth. Is anyone familiar with his general ideas about dosing? Or does he just suggest that people choose safe antibiotics (tetracyclines) and experiment until they obtain relief from symptoms?

I ask because I am not inclined to trust the myriad antibiotic protocols floating around the intertubez. :mrgreen:

HDD

Thank you, Peatarian, I won't use them then. Can the tetracyclines be obtained without doctor prescription?

narouz

Cool, Charlie.
Keep us posted.
My bleedy gums stopped bleeding almost instantly.
Of course, I was being IV'ed some kind of antibiotic during the appendectomy.
So maybe a really intense, quick dosing.

Danny Roddy once reported that Dr. Peat took
a little bit of penicillin every day.
Something to that effect.
Pretty sure but not positive he said penicillin.
I'll try to find the reference.
Roddy experimented upon himself likewise,
but I don't think he ever reported his results.

The one antibiotic that I have any experience with that I'd fefinitiely stay away from is Flagyl.
Intense psychological effects in my case.
Just felt so sad...heavy, relentless sadness.
It is notorious in that respect I believe.

Birdie

Charlie said:
Regarding warnings about staying out in the sun on the antibiotic document. I am wondering if I should not be doing my red light therapy at this point? Or, should I cut way back. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I don't know anything about that. A good question. If peatarian doesn't have the answer, maybe ask Peat? It could be the UV part of the sunlight that they mean you should avoid. No idea tho...

Charlie, I want a face with orange goggles. ;)

Birdie

Along the same lines as narouz on Peat's antibiotic use, I've heard him say a penicillin dose of 50mg three times a day. But I have no reference. It's written on one of my index cards so I probably heard him say it in an interview... Other hearsay is that he uses antibiotics from time to time but not constantly.

Another index card says, "Peat antibiotics = minocycline, penicillin. :geek:

peatarian

Haagendazendiane said:
Thank you, Peatarian, I won't use them then. Can the tetracyclines be obtained without doctor prescription?

Ahem ... yes.

peatarian

Charlie said:

I have been using 100mg for a few months and noticed that during very bright summer days I couldn't see well. Everything looked like an overexposed photograph. It's not summer and you will not be using the antibiotics more than a few days or two weeks. So: Forget about it. It's not about light being harmful but your sight being diminished.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

narouz said:
Cool, Charlie.
Keep us posted.
My bleedy gums stopped bleeding almost instantly.
Of course, I was being IV'ed some kind of antibiotic during the appendectomy.
So maybe a really intense, quick dosing.

Danny Roddy once reported that Dr. Peat took
a little bit of penicillin every day.
Something to that effect.
Pretty sure but not positive he said penicillin.
I'll try to find the reference.
Roddy experimented upon himself likewise,
but I don't think he ever reported his results.

The one antibiotic that I have any experience with that I'd fefinitiely stay away from is Flagyl.
Intense psychological effects in my case.
Just felt so sad...heavy, relentless sadness.
It is notorious in that respect I believe.

This is day 4, I think. lol

Feeling OK today, no dizzyness or anything like that.

Still constipated.

Gums look like they MIGHT be slightly better, less red, more pink. But still a little early to tell. I never had much bleeding with the gums. Only really red near the base of the teeth, and gums eroding.

Birdie said:
I don't know anything about that. A good question. If peatarian doesn't have the answer, maybe ask Peat? It could be the UV part of the sunlight that they mean you should avoid. No idea tho...

Charlie, I want a face with orange goggles. ;)

Yes, I think it has to do with the UV. I am still doing red light therapy, just not as much.

Birdie said:
Along the same lines as narouz on Peat's antibiotic use, I've heard him say a penicillin dose of 50g three times a day. But I have no reference. It's written on one of my index cards so I probably heard him say it in an interview... Other hearsay is that he uses antibiotics from time to time but not constantly.

Another index card says, "Peat antibiotics = minocycline, penicillin. :geek:

Did you mean 50mg?

peatarian said:
I have been using 100mg for a few months and noticed that during very bright summer days I couldn't see well. Everything looked like an overexposed photograph. It's not summer and you will not be using the antibiotics more than a few days or two weeks. So: Forget about it. It's not about light being harmful but your sight being diminished.

A few months! :shock:

So like I said, I am carrying on with the red light therapy. Just toned it down a bit.

peatarian

Well, actually more like a year. But during very special circumstances. And it was doxycycline, not tetracycline.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Day 5. Started having mild flu like symptoms today, achey legs, my stomach is really rumbling and moving around down there, a general not so well feeling but not too bad. I have some charcoal on order but its running late due to the place I ordered it from was on holiday, should be here tomorrow. Been using bamboo shoots instead. Can't really stomach the carrots right now.

peatarian

Charlie, maybe you want to stop using the minocyclin until you have the charcoal? 5 days should make a difference. You can do a very low dose period again later.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

No, I think want to push on. I am thinking this is the beginning of the die off. I can handle it, no biggie. The charcoal will be here tomorrow. I tried to get charcoal from around here, but everyone of them has other ingredients like antifreeze so I decided to take a pass.

If anything, I think this is a good sign. Unless, I am actually getting the flu! :lol: