Minocycline And Doxycycline And Tetra Cycline Can Cause Intracranial Hypertension

Makrosky

I am using minocycline right now at 100mg x day and made some pubmed searches on its safety. I am shocked guys!!

Mino and the other cyclines like doxy and tetra can cause intracranial hypertension, one of its effects could be permanent vision loss.

The more dangerous of the three is minocycline because of its lipophilic properties.

I have emailed Ray to see what he thinks about all this.

I think considering the massive ammount of people using then, it would be very rare to develop it but still... something to consider. Read the new zealand link posted below, it is very informative and concise.

Guys sorry but I am too lazy to post all abstracts, I'm on my smartphone (can't access a computer) and it's a pain in the **** to do so. Just click on this link and see the studies yourselves :

Minocycline intracranial - PubMed - NCBI

Doxycycline and Headaches: What everyone needs to know.

https://medsafe.govt.nz/profs/puarticles/bih.htm

WHO Drug Information Vol. 17, No. 1, 2003: Safety Issues: Minocycline and intracranial hypertension

@haidut

From other medical sources :
DO NOT PRESCRIBE WITH ISOTRETINOIN Isotretinoin and tetracyclines are both associated with benign intracranial hypertension (BIH), so the combination of tetracyclines with oral vitamin A or retinoids is contraindicated.1,2 BIH is a very rare but potentially serious condition and minocycline is the most frequently reported medicine associated with BIH in the literature (approximately 9% of all cases).9 The presenting complaint is usually a pulsatile headache; visual disturbance and pulsatile tinnitus have also been reported. Symptoms generally occur within the first 4 weeks of treatment.9 Actively ask about headaches and visual disturbance at each visit. If BIH is suspected, discontinue treatment immediately4 and seek neurological advice.9 The condition may completely resolve, but a delay in diagnosis can lead to lasting visual defects, and even blindness.9 Dizziness, light-headedness, vertigo and reduced hearing have also been associated with tetracyclines, especially minocycline. Advise caution with driving if these symptoms occur.1

Last edited:

aguilaroja

I am using minocycline right now at 100mg x day...
Mino and the other cyclines like doxy and tetra can cause intracranial hypertension, one of its effects could be permanent vision loss.
...considering the massive ammount of people using then, it would be very rare to develop it but still... something to consider.
This case report includes some of the older references:
Minocycline-Induced Fulminant Intracranial Hypertension

Some case reports are about children and adolescents, some using twice daily minocycline for extended times.

There's risk with most any pharmaceutical. Google NSAID's and death. Some newer antibiotic categories, including fluoroquinolones, said to be "generally safe", have large catalogues of severe harms reported by users.

Antibiotic Alert: The Drug The Doctor Ordered Could Cause Deadly Side Effects

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

This case report includes some of the older references:
Minocycline-Induced Fulminant Intracranial Hypertension

Some case reports are about children and adolescents, some using twice daily minocycline for extended times.

There's risk with most any pharmaceutical. Google NSAID's and death. Some newer antibiotic categories, including fluoroquinolones, said to be "generally safe", have large catalogues of severe harms reported by users.

Antibiotic Alert: The Drug The Doctor Ordered Could Cause Deadly Side Effects

Sure thing. I still think it's quite safe so I will take this intracranial hypertension warnings like this :

- Favour doxy over mino or tetra unless you need the specifical effects of mino or tetra.

- Use the lowest minimum effective dose.

- Watch closely for headaches or visual disturbances while under those abx. If it happens, stop immediately.

- Caution if you are exposed to other intracranial hypertension factors like going high altitude.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

Did he write back?
No, he ignored it.

By the way I tried minocycline and it worked REALLY WELL. It matches all the good experiences already mentioned in the forum. Amazing. However, it raised the volume of my tinnitus so I had to stop. It's been going down towards baseline as days pass by and I hope it is not permannent. Another thing to consider when you want to evaluate benefits/risks of these abx.

Logan-

By the way I tried minocycline and it worked REALLY WELL. It matches all the good experiences already mentioned in the forum.

What were the most striking positive effects of minocycline for you?

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

What were the most striking positive effects of minocycline for you?
Very calming in a nonsedated way, general feeling of wellbeing, better mood. I was walking in the sun and just watching the children in the streets made me smile like an idiot. Dunno if it was placebo. But the tinnitus hasn't returned to baseline yet so... :-/

Logan-

Very calming in a nonsedated way, general feeling of wellbeing, better mood. I was walking in the sun and just watching the children in the streets made me smile like an idiot. Dunno if it was placebo. But the tinnitus hasn't returned to baseline yet so... :-/

Has the tinnitus gotten better?

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

Has the tinnitus gotten better?
Not yet but I have been drinking alcohol which is another tinnitus raiser for me (although always temporal) so I can't know for sure. I will report in a few days if you are interested.

Logan-

I would cut everything that can cause/increase tinnitus and observe what will happen. I sometimes get tinnitus, but I haven't figured out why it happens yet. It's transient, and doesn't last long. It can cause additional stress if it lasts long.

Ray Peat thinks it is endotoxin-related.

Porridge

BUMP; I'm supplementing 10.000 UI of Vitamin A and 100mg Doxycycline (will up to 200mg daily if side effects are of no concern) for Lichen Planopilaris.

Stopped raw carrots and liver to avoid excessive retinoids.

3 weeks, zero side effects for now.

@haidut please give me a red or green light about such dosages and "pseudotumor cerebri"

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom