Minimising Skin Damage From Sunlight

Curt :-)

Hey guys, hope you're all swell xx

I've just started a new job working outside and it's going to be a long, hot summer!
I'm interested in what one can to minimise skin damage from being outside. I think avoidance of PUFA would be a priority. Would nutrients that inhibit the release of the free fatty acids be applicable here? I have noticed that aspirin taken pre-sun exposure lessens burns, but does lessening a potential burn have much of a long term effect on the aging of the skin if the total time in the sun is the same?
What about sunscreen? I know it contains xenoestrogens and probably other nasty stuff, but it may be worth using if my skin is really taking a beating.

Thoughts?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
There are some sunscreens with zinc that have been discussed here.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Curt :-) said:
Hey guys, hope you're all swell xx

I've just started a new job working outside and it's going to be a long, hot summer!
I'm interested in what one can to minimise skin damage from being outside. I think avoidance of PUFA would be a priority. Would nutrients that inhibit the release of the free fatty acids be applicable here? I have noticed that aspirin taken pre-sun exposure lessens burns, but does lessening a potential burn have much of a long term effect on the aging of the skin if the total time in the sun is the same?
What about sunscreen? I know it contains xenoestrogens and probably other nasty stuff, but it may be worth using if my skin is really taking a beating.

Thoughts?

Niacinamide, caffeine and aspirin all have direct protective effects against UV-induced damage on the skin. Search on PubMed and you will see there are even commercial products. As far as I know no product contains all 3 substances but the beauty of them is that they can be taken orally AND applied topically and the effects is synergistic! So, make a water solution containing 4% niacinamide by weight, 0.1% caffeine and 0.1% aspirin and apply topically. When applied to the scalp this may even make hair regrow (for people that need it). Orally, 500mg niacinamide, 200mg caffeine and about 1g is aspirin will have similar effect. Clearly if you do both the oral and topical method you will have much better protection.
Just for your reference, there is a study on PubMed claiming that 4% niacinamide topical solution fully prevented and in some cases reversed photoaging of the skin. Not to mention that niacinamide also protects from UV-induced immune system downregulation.

pboy

if its any consolation, I can be in sun indefinitely without being burned these days, and its probably all due to diet changes and perspective on life changes
now I almost fiend for sun, as much as I can get...whenever the sky is clear I try to get an hour of full or as much body exposure as possible. I don't think we are meant to need any sunscreen, and really putting pretty much anything on your skin is detrimental

in other words, don't worry about it at all, and actually try to start realizing sun is a good thing and doesn't hurt you

tara

I understood us pale faces to be the product of a mutation selected for it's ability to get enough sunlight through our pale skins to form vit-D (and avoid rickets) even in the northern winter. If you are of pale complexion, you probably do need physical protection for all day outdoor work, as well as getting benefit from the preotective substances suggested above. Shirts and hats etc are the least toxic option. Last summer I used homemade sunscreen made from non-micronised zinc and coconut oil and beeswax. The beewax makes it stick longer. Australia is closer to the ozone hole than US.

Peater

pboy said:
if its any consolation, I can be in sun indefinitely without being burned these days, and its probably all due to diet changes and perspective on life changes
now I almost fiend for sun, as much as I can get...whenever the sky is clear I try to get an hour of full or as much body exposure as possible. I don't think we are meant to need any sunscreen, and really putting pretty much anything on your skin is detrimental

in other words, don't worry about it at all, and actually try to start realizing sun is a good thing and doesn't hurt you

Same here. Plenty of saturated fat helps.

Tomatoes are said to be good for preventing skin damage from the sun too.

OP
C

Curt :-)

I have noticed that the skin on my face takes a real beating from the sun. My arms and legs can be in the sun all day and really not look any different, maybe just a little more tanned. But if I don't wear a hat for a few hours, my face starts to look quite weathered (not burnt, just worn out).

Haven't been able try Haidut's idea's as yet. I'll report back on how it goes.

jyb

Curt :-) said:
I have noticed that the skin on my face takes a real beating from the sun. My arms and legs can be in the sun all day and really not look any different, maybe just a little more tanned. But if I don't wear a hat for a few hours, my face starts to look quite weathered (not burnt, just worn out).

Haven't been able try Haidut's idea's as yet. I'll report back on how it goes.

My guess is that the surprisingly fragile and prone to sun beating skin on the face is because it's already more damaged. More damaged means it can handle harm less easily, it will show quicker than other skin areas. Sunlight alone may or may not do it, but the damage from UV+PUFA from a previous diet might have done it. Ray's article on Rosacea discusses this. Unfortunately, from my experience it doesn't seem easy to repair previous skin damage. What can be done for sure however is prevent further damage and reduce oil and acne. Although not perfect that's already pretty good for the appearance...