Mineral absorption from cacao

RollingStone

Cocoa is high in a variety of minerals including magnesium, copper, and potassium. I often see it recommended as a good source of magnesium or other nutrients but I wonder how well these minerals are actually absorbed considering that there are a lot of mineral binders like phytates and oxalates in cocoa. I’ve read that cocoa can inhibit some high percent of iron (as much as 90%), so I imagine it probably binds a pretty significant amount of other minerals as well.

I’ve always questioned whether cocoa is really a good source for some of these minerals, but I can’t really find much information besides that relating to iron absorption or calcium absorption when cocoa is mixed with dairy.

Norman16

Cocoa is high in a variety of minerals including magnesium, copper, and potassium. I often see it recommended as a good source of magnesium or other nutrients but I wonder how well these minerals are actually absorbed considering that there are a lot of mineral binders like phytates and oxalates in cocoa. I’ve read that cocoa can inhibit some high percent of iron (as much as 90%), so I imagine it probably binds a pretty significant amount of other minerals as well.

I’ve always questioned whether cocoa is really a good source for some of these minerals, but I can’t really find much information besides that relating to iron absorption or calcium absorption when cocoa is mixed with dairy.
I make a protein drink,using fitbits pea protein,with Stevia organic, organic cacao,coconut milk,I add nuts and seeds,organic,.
Coca cola,kambucha organic, blueberries.then blend with a hand blender.
The taste is gorgeous,good for the gut, microbium.
All keto,I use as a breakfast or after to weight training.

xeliex

Forum Supporter

I think there is a concern with cadmium being high in some cocoa... After I saw how high it can be on consumerlabs, I stopped taking it daily.

OP
R

RollingStone

I think there is a concern with cadmium being high in some cocoa... After I saw how high it can be on consumerlabs, I stopped taking it daily.

Good point. This was a major reason that I also stopped using daily.

Veritas IV

I make a protein drink,using fitbits pea protein,with Stevia organic, organic cacao,coconut milk,I add nuts and seeds,organic,.
Coca cola,kambucha organic, blueberries.then blend with a hand blender.
The taste is gorgeous,good for the gut, microbium.
All keto,I use as a breakfast or after to weight training.
Welcome to Ray Peat.

By the time you are finished reading his works,, you will have scratched half of those items off your shopping list :thumbsup:

Or at least that's how it seems to work for most of us. I do recommend subscribing to his newsletter too btw, well worth the small cost.

Last edited:

DonLore

Any more info on this? Love the taste but is it a good source for minerals?

Can

Interesting question indeed. I wonder how the same question also applies to the form cacao is most often eaten in, namely chocolate.

I figured that, because cacao beans usually get fermented for some time to make chocolate, that would reduce the anti-nutrients and thus minerals would be absorbed better in the form of dark chocolate than from pure fresh cacao beans or cacao powder.

Eating some dark chocolate daily atm, love having it with coffee in the morning and noon hours, even if just for the taste. Would be interested to know how much of the nutrients are actually being absorbed.

Looking forward to knowledgeable answers in this thread.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals