body. The body's "need to dream" is temporarily
suppressed, but catches up later with a night or
two of unusually intense dreaming. Continuous
intoxication presumably builds up an increasing
"dream pressure" that can eventually break
through as waking dreams, or "delirium tremens."

LSD works the other way, stimulating intense
dreams even when awake, but causing a few
dreamless nights when its direct effect wears off.
(Para-chloro-phenylalanine, which blocks
serotonin synthesis, not only interferes with sleep
— especially R.E.M. sleep —but it causes rats to
reject alcohol, and to become hypersexual,
Campbell, 1970).

Ray Peat said:
During exhausting fevers and after drinking too
much, I have experienced a defective kind of
dream, a kind of analytical, verbal delirium, in
which one word only leads to another word. In
place of fluid and integrated imagery, there was
just a kind of fizzly yellow, or swarming orange,
activity. Mental satisfaction becomes impossible
in that state. (Green and blue usually seem to be
suppressed in that kind of state.)
Since I believe mental imagery is the real,
working structure of language, I think a related
kind of damage to the dream system, or dream
metabolism, would account for the peculiar nature
of "schizophrenic" verbalization.

johns74

Wow.

Maybe if you built up dream pressure from insomnia, LSD would be therapeutic by letting you dream awake?

OP
S
Well, when you are extremely tired and lie down you immediately start streaming ideas behind your eyelids, like some kind of shape that keeps changing. Low-dose LSD is very much like this I think.

pboy

that first quote trips me out, because I never thought of that before. I used to drink quite a bit but not like way crazy, I mean id party and get hungover but never blacked out or anything. But I do know others who drank excessively like...way bad, and have done hilarious but if it were me terrifying things, like sleep walk and talk gibberish and even random action like they were involved in something, but it was just thin air. A few times ive seen people who I t hought were crazy, and im pretty sure they weren't drunk at the time but were habitual heavy drinkers, theyd have very akward dillusional conversations with me with a weird vibe or tone that made me wonder if they were trippin out or something, but it had a scary undertone to it. I wonder if they weren't dream backed up...it would make sense because these same people are the ones who don't go to sleep until 3-4am then sleep until well past noon, and have a shitty diet and basically no GI regularity at all, like Id see them wake up in the afternoon and start eating a solid slightly cold heavy meal without even going to the bathroom. Thanks for the info such, now I have a better insight as to whats going on...at least I hope that state isn't permanent for their sake, theyd probably have to stop drinking and get on a normal schedule of eat sleep though...which for some people is a monumental task (how sad)

Peater

The second quote is spot on. I had a stomach bug recently, the symptoms were fairly mild, but I kept having bizarre dreams where it just felt like I was constantly trying to analyse or figure something out. The strange thing is, there was no language. Just that sensation of desperately trying to calculate something. The colour I'd give it is 'red'! (although I was using my red light before I slept ;))

Fever dreams blow.

OP
S
You can compose sort of expressionist material when you have a hangover. It's very sick but very interesting.

fyo

"Dream pressure" is something I've been considering.

What is the purpose of dreams? To me, partly, it seems like a certain mental pressure may build up through the day, this pressure being where your brain's energy would like to flow, but feels it cannot for whatever cultural or metabolic reason. So then, you get to sleep and your brain is allowed comfortable enough an environment that the brain's energy may more freely flow where it wishes too, and thus pressure is dissipated in the carving of dreams.. Meanwhile your dreams consist of the day's experiences/feelings/worries flowing to their perceived conclusions.

narouz

It was comforting, for some reason, to hear that Dr. P gets faced at least sometime....

Aspekt

I've noticed my dreams are more intensely vivid and frequent when sleeping on an earthing mat, which is consistent with anecdotes from others around the web who have tried it. It makes me wonder if the physiological changes associated with earthing are somehow allowing a greater amount of dream pressure to be expressed.

OP
S
Aspekt said:
I've noticed my dreams are more intensely vivid and frequent when sleeping on an earthing mat, which is consistent with anecdotes from others around the web who have tried it. It makes me wonder if the physiological changes associated with earthing are somehow allowing a greater amount of dream pressure to be expressed.

Does it ever give you tingling or palpitations?

Aspekt

Such_Saturation said:
Aspekt said:

Sometimes I notice an almost imperceptible tingling sensation when touching it, especially if I'm wide awake and paying attention. I don't trust the wiring in my house so I use a wire that runs out of my window. As far as palpitations, I have a feeling that sleeping on the mat makes me use glycogen at a higher rate so sometimes I seem to have adrenaline style dreams.

Generally I feel less foggy waking up with the mat, but also slightly lower energy- my caloric intake isn't super consistent so this may be a big factor. I'm starting to think I might be doing a bit of mouth breathing at times during the night, about a year and a half ago I had surgery for a deviated septum, before that it was becoming more and more difficult to nose breath. It's possible I have some bad sleeping habits I'm not aware of, tried taping my mouth for the first time last night and woke feeling optimistic, usually I feel a bit anxious and unsteady for the first hour or so after waking which may be low C02.

OP
S
Aspekt said:
Such_Saturation said:
Aspekt said:

Sometimes I notice an almost imperceptible tingling sensation when touching it, especially if I'm wide awake and paying attention. I don't trust the wiring in my house so I use a wire that runs out of my window. As far as palpitations, I have a feeling that sleeping on the mat makes me use glycogen at a higher rate so sometimes I seem to have adrenaline style dreams.

Generally I feel less foggy waking up with the mat, but also slightly lower energy- my caloric intake isn't super consistent so this may be a big factor. I'm starting to think I might be doing a bit of mouth breathing at times during the night, about a year and a half ago I had surgery for a deviated septum, before that it was becoming more and more difficult to nose breath. It's possible I have some bad sleeping habits I'm not aware of, tried taping my mouth for the first time last night and woke feeling optimistic, usually I feel a bit anxious and unsteady for the first hour or so after waking which may be low C02.

That is interesting, if you have a grounding pole in the ground then that rules out grid variables. So the tingling we feel is either from the earthing process itself or some kind of wave pollution going through the body from inside the house.

tara

Aspekt said:
... tried taping my mouth for the first time last night and woke feeling optimistic, usually I feel a bit anxious and unsteady for the first hour or so after waking which may be low C02.
:) Nice to hear stories of this working. Let us know if it continues.
If the earthing is effective, it would make sense that it could increase glycogen/sugar consumption.

Peater

Such_Saturation said:
That is interesting, if you have a grounding pole in the ground then that rules out grid variables. So the tingling we feel is either from the earthing process itself or some kind of wave pollution going through the body from inside the house.

I'm an electrician so am aware that the ground itself is used a return path for fault currents.

A quick Google revealed this forum

http://earthingforum.com/does-your-grou ... ge-t8.html

narouz

Peater said:
Such_Saturation said:

I'm an electrician so am aware that the ground itself is used a return path for fault currents.

A quick Google revealed this forum

http://earthingforum.com/does-your-grou ... ge-t8.html

I've never done an earth mat, but I've found them intriguing.
It hadn't occurred to me Peater, but what if lightning strikes the ground
near your grounding spike?

(Or, worse, I guess: what about those who ground to the house's system ground wire,
and then lightning strikes the house...?)

Does there need to be a resistor/fuse in line...?

OP
S
It is a possibility, it would have to be very powerful and very close to affect your ions, normally Earth is such a good sink that you can consider it a one-way road I think. And it would have to shoot up into your body which doesn't lead to anywhere else electrically, so unfavourable. Wikipedia has a good article on those currents. Mercola's mat as well as the DIY versions you find on the internet all have a 100000 Ohm resistor so you will balance with the ground more slowly, but more safely. This is if the resistor actually breaks apart after the lightning strike, cutting the connection like some kind of fuse. I'm not sure of any of this as I have a high school education.

Peater

The second one is definitely bad! I only studied man-made mains voltages rather than natural phenomena :) so I can't say for sure about it striking the ground, but as lightning just wants to 'earth' itself out, that should be OK. I'm not volunteering to test though ;)

I do think the makers of these things should make people aware of this though (Do they?)

I'm not convinced it's anything but woo science though. Current requires voltage and a complete circuit to flow. As for a resistor, that would impede the current flow by, well, resisting it! When you consider that a light bulbs resistance can vary from 65 - 880 ohms depending on if it is turned on (Heat = more resistance), think how much voltage would have to be being produced 'somewhere' in order to flow through the resistor.

OP
S
I'm always waking up feeling weird and then I take it off. Yesterday I woke up and I had this kaleidoscopic color impressed on my eyesight, the hell?

OP
S
My serotonin probably reached a negative value.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals