Millennials Will Likely Die Earlier Than Gen X Due To Poor(er) Health

haidut

Forum Supporter
This study is perhaps the pearl in the crown of at least 20 studies that have come out over the 2-3 years. It finally states what has been abundantly clear from those prior studies in individual diseases. Namely, there are no young / healthy people any more. Both the Generation X (Gen X) and Millennials are of the same health as somebody 20-30 years older. And now this study demonstrates that there is a significant gap even between the last two generations to the point that Millennials are on track to die earlier (on average) than Gen X members. It seems we have been on a downward health trend for the entire 20th century. The Greatest Generation was the healthiest, followed by the Silent Generation, followed by the Boomers, followed by Gen X, and finally the Millennials. If the early studies available on Gen Z are a reliable indicator, this trend has NOT been reversed but is accelerating. As I mentioned in previous posts, I have trouble imagining how society will survive considering its youngest members will need as much (or maybe more) access to (already strained) health care and disability resources than its older ones....

https://www.bcbs.com/sites/default/...merica-report/HOA-Moodys-Millennial-10-30.pdf
American millennials' mental and physical health is on the decline — and they're on track to die faster than Gen X, a new report says

"...American millennials aren't exactly the picture of health. They're seeing their physical and mental health decline at a faster rate than Gen X did as they age, a new Blue Cross Blue Shield report found. The report used a baseline projection representing historical outcomes of "health shocks" and an adverse projection of current trends. It's possible this decline could be rectified with proper management and treatment, but without intervention, millennials could see a 40% increase in mortality compared with Gen Xers of the same age, the adverse projection showed."

"...The report found that rates of depression and hyperactivity among American millennials increased by about 30% from 2014 to 2017. These findings are underscored by previous reports that analyzed data from Blue Cross Blue Shield's Health Index. One found that major-depression diagnoses were rising at a faster rate for millennials and teens than they were for any other age group. There has also been a rise in accidental deaths, which overall make up a larger share of mortality among millennials than they did for Gen Xers at the same age, the latest Blue Cross report found. It's worth noting that accidental deaths from heroin and other opioid overdoses specifically have increased by 1,400% among all generations from 2010 to 2017. A report by the public-health groups Trust for America's Health and Well Being Trust yielded similar findings earlier this year. It found that more millennials were dying "deaths of despair," or deaths related to drugs, alcohol, and suicide, Jamie Ducharme reported for Time in June. While these deaths have increased across all age groups in the past 10 years, they've increased the most among younger Americans, accounting for the deaths of about 36,000 American millennials in 2017 alone, the report said. Drug overdoses were the most common cause of death."

Peater

Even when we do find places like this to address health...things like being born 2 months early by caesaerian and diet up to this point can't be undone

Gen Z will be interesting to observe

sun-maid

@haidut What do you think are the primary cause of this ? It can not be only from the increase of PUFA consumption ?

schultz

@haidut What do you think are the primary cause of this ? It can not be only from the increase of PUFA consumption ?

I imagine birth control would be one factor. If you have 3 generations of women, all of whom took birth control for 10-20 years of their life, you would get negative multi-generational effects. Thankfully my mom didn't take birth control, ate relatively healthy compared to most people and breast fed all of her children.

You did ask Haidut, and I am not him, so I apologize if that was rude of me.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

A combination of iatrogenic (medically induced), inherited (but not genetic) and environmental factors. Compare that with previous generations and you will see that each preceding generation had a lot less "baggage" and/or bad exposure than the one after them. Most Millenials are on at least one of the following prescription poisons - PPI, statin, SSRI, birth control (either hormonal, copper leaking, or physically blocking implanted devices). On top of that, Millenials inherited the transgenerational effects of massive radiation exposure of their parents (Boomers) in the 50s and 60s, and have to face a financial reality much worse than their parents. There has been a steady decline in GDP per capita since 1966 and it does not look very promising for the near future.
What is energy, actually? – Jean-Marc Jancovici

Add to that the pervasive culture of pointlessness/nihilism in virtually all hired professions, and the fact that 30% of Millenials have zero friends or people they feel close to and I am actually surprised the situation is not a lot worse.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I imagine birth control would be one factor. If you have 3 generations of women, all of whom took birth control for 10-20 years of their life, you would get negative multi-generational effects. Thankfully my mom didn't take birth control, ate relatively healthy compared to most people and breast fed all of her children.

You did ask Haidut, and I am not him, so I apologize if that was rude of me.

Yep, one of my guesses was that. I added some more in my response.

Herbie

Were the boomers the worst parents of any generation?

My great grandfather went to ww1 in Egypt and Palestine for 3 years and came back and later became a railway fetler at 54 years, very physical job. Still lived into late 80s.

I’m a millennial who has lived in war like situation since school in order to survive and my parents have no clue.

The millennials need to hold on until the boomers are gone so we can clean up the mess and continue forward and look after the new generations. I cannot deny through my observations as a cab driver that quality of life in the west is in steep decline and if many peoples brains were dynamite, it wouldn’t blow their hats off. A lot of poor management and governance across the board and cluelessness and there is that evil, sinister agenda we all know of.

Kingpinguin

Even when we do find places like this to address health...things like being born 2 months early by caesaerian and diet up to this point can't be undone

Gen Z will be interesting to observe

i was born 2 months early by caesaerian and i feel great. Fit, good hormone status etc... In my childhood tho I was extremely skinny. But even that I grew taller than most my friends in high school. Had a stint with anxiety for 2-3 years in my early 20s but fixed it with diet and supplements. Previous to my anxiety my diet was poor in terms of low calorie. Just eating more and using some supplements completely cured my anxiety almost over night.

I am gen z, and I know my generation is drinking almond/oat milk. I’m 21 now but when I was about 12 or so I would see studies saying how bad saturated fat was for you online. This led me to stop SF at all costs, I stopped drinking the dairy in my fridge completely and switched to almond milk. Needless to say, I was hoodwinked and nut milk is still trendy.

Velve921

A combination of iatrogenic (medically induced), inherited (but not genetic) and environmental factors. Compare that with previous generations and you will see that each preceding generation had a lot less "baggage" and/or bad exposure than the one after them. Most Millenials are on at least one of the following prescription poisons - PPI, statin, SSRI, birth control (either hormonal, copper leaking, or physically blocking implanted devices). On top of that, Millenials inherited the transgenerational effects of massive radiation exposure of their parents (Boomers) in the 50s and 60s, and have to face a financial reality much worse than their parents. There has been a steady decline in GDP per capita since 1966 and it does not look very promising for the near future.
What is energy, actually? – Jean-Marc Jancovici

Add to that the pervasive culture of pointlessness/nihilism in virtually all hired professions, and the fact that 30% of Millenials have zero friends or people they feel close to and I am actually surprised the situation is not a lot worse.

Can you go into detail more of what you found with 30% of millennials having zero friends?

Richiebogie

It turns out the Seventh Day Adventist Church have pushed the vegan agenda through the 20th century to now.

They have done this via manufacturing cereals, supporting the sugar industry, making dietary guidelines and food pyramids etc.

Their "prophet" Ellen G White thought animal foods caused masturbation, which she abhorred!

Nowadays the Loma Linda University uses studies to show health benefits of veganism. There might be a touch of religious bias there!

Why the War on Meat??? Find out here from Dr. Gary & Belinda Fettke Podcast #16 — The Fat Emperor

Last edited:

Broken man

I believe the main problem starts with brain. Today, people arent asking much, They do what somebody told them, they dont have dreams, goals, visions and are doing bad things just because They are bored. I believe I read a study when They tried to change afro american poor class and one thing that worked for young males was that They gave them car. Once the had something to care about, They changed completely.

HumanLife

Makes sense, millennials are "lazy" because they don't have energy.

i was born 2 months early by caesaerian and i feel great. Fit, good hormone status etc... In my childhood tho I was extremely skinny. But even that I grew taller than most my friends in high school. Had a stint with anxiety for 2-3 years in my early 20s but fixed it with diet and supplements. Previous to my anxiety my diet was poor in terms of low calorie. Just eating more and using some supplements completely cured my anxiety almost over night.

Did you take gelatin for anxiety?

burtlancast

A worldwide campaign of supplementation with Magnesium, Vit D and Iodine, all of them dirt-cheap, could probably reverse 80% of these health problems.

yerrag

I can't help but note a few observations:

- It wasn't until the mid-80s that meat was meat, and milk was milk in processed foods. Lobbying made government allow the redefinition of what's meat and what's milk, for example. To the point that meat and milk are now seen as bad by a lot of people. They used to be just meat and milk. Now meat can have all sorts of extenders, texture and taste modifiers, a lot of which is a trade secret and you don't really know what toxins they put in it. And most regular milk would come from industrial milking of sick cows, where pus is normal, and pasteurizing the milk hides the poor quality of milk.
- There was more outdoor activity for sure. Growing up playing with neighbors. Out the whole day. More physical activity. More accidents as well. Had two stitches. Broke my arm jumping from a swing. Played cops and robbers in a whole field. This shows my age. I'm a tail-end boomer.
-Then, there were few vaccine shots. Measles and mumps vaccine was optional. Measles and mumps were a rite of passage. So was chicken pox. The body's adaptive immune system got developed well.
-There were few gyms to work out then. People just did their thing. Ray calls this meaningful work. People now eat terribly, and exercise a lot not knowing having a good nutritional lifestyle trumps eating terribly and exercising a lot.
-Doctors paid house calls. I guess then there were less people, and there was less heavy traffic. Now, doctors are saddled with long lines of patients. Hospital parking is always full.
-Milk was delivered in glass bottles, cold and they weren't UHT milk. I'm pretty sure the milk was more nutritious then.
-Soda was made with cane sugar, and there were no sugar taxes. There were no diet soda.
-Soy milk tasted like soy milk, which takes getting used to. I had it in my pre-school years, as my body got used to drinking milk. Milk substitutes were scarce, and they didn't have irritants such as carageenan, guar gum, and locust bean in them.
-The lawyers weren't that sophisticated yet. Doctors could do what's best for the patient, and have more trust in patients not suing them, and are more likely to do what's best for the patient, and not do what's least likely to get them sued.
-Medical services were a lot more affordable, without the need for health insurance to cover for the bloated cost of medical services these days.
- I could still find both alternative Chinese and Filipino folk doctors who knew how to adjust my dislocated elbows and knees I had a play accident
- I ate more fruits where the seed can be replanted. These days, plenty of fruits came from hybridized seeds, and the seeds of these fruits can't be replanted.
-It was common to find bydrogenated coconut fat in groceries then, now I'd have to go to a wholesaler or the factory to purchase it.
-MacDonald's fries were fried in beef tallow, not in PUFA oils.
-There were no GMO's then. Now I can't avoid eating poultry and livestock that's fed GMO feed.
-Farm-raised atlantic salmon weren't that common. Now sold as health food where in fact they not only are high in PUFAs but also high in PCBs and other toxins from the very polluted Baltic Sea, where industrial pollutants go from the heavy industries of Russia and Germany.

I don't know if I'm observing this correctly, but I don't know if the current crop of basketball players in the NBA are getting injured more often than the players in the past. Are there bodies less robust now? Is there body structure more fragile these days?

Last edited: