Millennials Are Entitled, Narcissistic And Lazy - But It's Not Their Fault

I agree that it is not millennials fault. I think we have been unwittingly running a type of societal experiment where we basically have institutionalized childhood. And this is the result. Institutions do not do well in teaching everyday life skills and coping mechanisms. But they do teach dependence and learned helplessness. Most millennials have been in schools, summer camps and sports and lessons and have never had a free moment to think for themselves or had to have street smarts. And then we drop them into the freedom of adulthood and wonder why they have a hard time coping. I think there are benefits (and risks no doubt) to a more unstructured and unprotected childhood.

OP
A

amethyst

I agree that it is not millennials fault. I think we have been unwittingly running a type of societal experiment where we basically have institutionalized childhood. And this is the result. Institutions do not do well in teaching everyday life skills and coping mechanisms. But they do teach dependence and learned helplessness. Most millennials have been in schools, summer camps and sports and lessons and have never had a free moment to think for themselves or had to have street smarts. And then we drop them into the freedom of adulthood and wonder why they have a hard time coping. I think there are benefits (and risks no doubt) to a more unstructured and unprotected childhood.
Good points. Yes they do teach learned helplessness. Our society is a product of this.

InChristAlone

Yeah definitely not our fault. Public school didn't help me cope with life at all. I mean how does doing homework and passing tests ( then forgetting a lot of it) help a person develop? It has taken me til 32 yrs old to learn basic mental health stuff. Before that I was insecure. Narcissism is born from having little self confidence not the other way around. They are extremely insecure and do not have the development to deal with their emotions. So they abuse others to make themselves feel better which obviously doesn't solve the underlying problem. I am kinda the opposite I have self defeatism as a result of lack of confidence. Thanks society for failing us. Im doing better for my kids. Teaching them skills to cope with life. Because without a healthy mind how can you live a good life?

OP
A

amethyst

It's been a deliberate "dumbing down" of our society. But we don't have to accept what they dish out. One can break out of the mold.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I think the issue started before the millenials. Possibly as early as the later baby boomers born in the 60s. If you have seen the movie "Office Space" it shows some of that same dysfunction within the corporations. To me it is a movie describing the dysfunctional life in corporations affecting the life on the outside as well. Corporations wanted dumb, obedient workers that will NOT "think outside the box" and they did a lot of work in the 60s and 70s (with the help of the CIA and other government agencies) to "engineer consent" within its workforce. The result was the absolute loss of creativity on the workplace in direct contrast to what corporations were claiming they wanted (thinking outside the box). A have quite a few friends working for Fortune 100 companies and they often endure drills where a new senior VP would stage events for discovering "hidden potential" and "novel thinkers". Invariably, these all turned out to be events aimed at finding people who can rock the boat and these people were quickly dealt with. The economist Joseph Schumpeter wrote about 100 years ago about this tendency of corporations to destroy this "guiding reflex" of humans being capable of both creating and successfully dealing with novel situations.
Joseph Schumpeter - Wikipedia

InChristAlone

I think the issue started before the millenials. Possibly as early as the later baby boomers born in the 60s. If you have seen the movie "Office Space" it shows some of that same dysfunction within the corporations. To me it is a movie describing the dysfunctional life in corporations affecting the life on the outside as well. Corporations wanted dumb, obedient workers that will NOT "think outside the box" and they did a lot of work in the 60s and 70s (with the help of the CIA and other government agencies) to "engineer consent" within its workforce. The result was the absolute loss of creativity on the workplace in direct contrast to what corporations were claiming they wanted (thinking outside the box). A have quite a few friends working for Fortune 100 companies and they often endure drills where a new senior VP would stage events for discovering "hidden potential" and "novel thinkers". Invariably, these all turned out to be events aimed at finding people who can rock the boat and these people were quickly dealt with. The economist Joseph Schumpeter wrote about 100 years ago about this tendency of corporations to destroy this "guiding reflex" of humans being capable of both creating and successfully dealing with novel situations.
That is really sad. Dumbing down of society is right.

zztr

All I've noticed about millennials is a lot more of the men talk like they're gay (generally more effete) and both the men and women are substantially chubbier in their 20s than people were in prior decades. The other funny thing is how they've been warped by text only communication. Most of them freak out about phone calls or impromptu, unstructured meetings. They will literally not pick up the phone and send a text message or email instead. They hate being forced to think on their feet.

All the rest of it with regard to narcissism and work ethic seems like total nonsense to me. No different than boomers.

The kids are just fat and faggy. I blame a lot of it on the rise of unwed mothers. With these kids who talk and act effete you typically find there was a divorce.

OP
A

amethyst

Totally agree with your comments. I have friends who also joined the corporate world and went thru something similar. I agree, they want to weed out anyone who is not the cookie-cutter team player. Be part of "us" or else, buh -bye.. Buy your little matchbox apartment for 1,000's of dollars (or millions) buy your little matchbox tiny home and think you are living in paradise.

OP
A

amethyst

All I've noticed about millennials is a lot more of the men talk like they're gay (generally more effete) and both the men and women are substantially chubbier in their 20s than people were in prior decades. The other funny thing is how they've been warped by text only communication. Most of them freak out about phone calls or impromptu, unstructured meetings. They will literally not pick up the phone and send a text message or email instead. They hate being forced to think on their feet.

All the rest of it with regard to narcissism and work ethic seems like total nonsense to me. No different than boomers.

The kids are just fat and faggy. I blame a lot of it on the rise of unwed mothers. With these kids who talk and act effete you typically find there was a divorce.
It's all the genetically modified food we've been eating sadly.I think it's a big contributor towards how people's body chemistry is being changed. Before the 50's, people ate real food.

OP
A

amethyst

Don't get me started on texting lol.

haidut

Forum Supporter

True, but many of the divorces came as a result of people being taught to focus on themselves and not much else. That attitude must have come from somewhere as previous generations did not appear to be so self-centered. I think the boomers started the whole trend of "me" vs. "we". I suppose economic prosperity after years of dearth (WWI, Great Depression, WWI) led to people simply letting themselves go, in every sense of the word, and family (which is in its core an altruistic and sacrificial endeavor) got kicked to the side.

Regina

Haha. Office Space. Good observation.
I always worked in the arts (for better for worse). My first job was at a state theatre. The show must go on. You're worked to death but you learn about everything. My boss was a totally self-absorbed actress. We got along great and she LOVED me. (She should. They got their money's worth). Her extreme disinterest in anything practical allowed me miles of creative rope. I proposed we turn the evening acting classes into accredited University. It worked! I invented a fully-accredited Conservatory. Of course, I got no credit for it. lol. But I didn't care. My boss would just say, "I love ya so much Peach." or "Cuz you're just the bestest Peach." (and she'd head off to NYC to star in something off-bwy and leave me "the keys" to do whatever I want for months on end. She was married to the Exc Dir of the whole thing). I created a Monday playwright's series (because theaters are "dark" on Mondays), and held a competition for new works and auditions for the readings, etc. Cattle call lines went for blocks. We could do Beckett and lots of neat stuff. One time I wrote the entire musical score and all the parts for a new play. I created a summer camp for kids where I had the kid's write the show and called it "Kidspeak." Lots of variety, creativity and lots of very arduous, thankless work. No sleep. Looking back, it was the best job I ever had. Why? Because I had yet to meet an officious person in a job setting. I thought people from the DMV or mean nurses at the Dr's office were rare freaks and hardly people I would ever encounter in my life.
At the theatre, I didn't give it a 2nd thought if I went into one of seats in the mezzanine during matinee and watch the whole play. So, gone from my desk for couple of hrs. in the middle of a work day. I'd come back and my boss, at most, would say, "Hey Doll" or "Hey Peach". Never any questions asked. No one EVER said, "Where were you?" - even though I held no special rank or authority.
I think many people do not mind having their abilities over-used if they aren't otherwise treated badly or treated with mistrust. That's soul-crushing.

Queequeg

There are no accidents in this world. The elite have been been performing social engineering on the masses since the dawn of civilization. The scary part is just how good they have gotten at it today in which every aspect of society has been weaponized.

OP
A

amethyst

There are no accidents in this world. The elite have been been performing social engineering on the masses since the dawn of civilization. The scary part is just how good they have gotten at it today in which every aspect of society has been weaponized.
That is very true.

Drareg

It's important to note that if the technology we have now was available at any point in history even Ancient Greece
we would see an appearance of narcissism and self entitlement of some sort,the humans are responding to their environment.
The one thing that cracks me up about the older generation complaining about millennials is many of their generation are actively participating in the narcissism and entitlement style of behaviour via the same technology,their is a slight difference in culture and terminology with the older gen.
those in power who complain about millennialist are frustrated that they don't control the outlets for information which made those in power look like gods.

It's also a massive apology/distraction by the older generation for an easier life in the past in particularly the baby boomers,humans always desire more,it's easier in the contemporary world do sit back and do very little and have a great life/less stress ,it is however much harder to go out and earn enough for a house and the other bits and bobs previous generations got for a fraction of a cost,inflation adjusted.
I have said this before but I believe this is intelligent behaviour on behalf of the millennials,they have become more opportunistic because it requires less energy,trying viral videos,blogging etc than becoming a "yes person" in a corporate group and climbing the corrupt ladder for years all in the name of a 4 bedroom house in a nice area and tick the culture boxes in relation to kids and partner,hand your spirit over when say yes to this life and acknowledge your inferior genetics only allow you to be a yes man footsoldier,the older generation believe it's important to not waste time/trying for anything more.

Basically those in power want the millennials "character"to be blamed and not the financial system,corporate system ,big business and the medical establishment,almost anywhere the millennials venture with regards to employment is an inhumane(corporations) cesspit of corruption, when young joe or Jenny say they would like to own their own little cafe some day or hairdressers they are told they are entitled brats to have such grand ambitions!
Parents go along with the lazy entitled brat because it deflects from the fact they were average and at times terrible parents for not informing their kids of the toxic system they are in,the parents know this now even though they bought into said system,they want to save face by blaming the millenial.
Those in power want to stifle entrepreneurs as much as possible and push everyone under the corporate umbrella,the rampant buyout or acquisition of companies is an example of this,it controls competition.

And don't forget pathetic millenial you do all the above with inferior health because your tough parents were biologically supreme and can eat all the PUFA and additives without deterioration of any kind,look at what we built they say, you should have thrived with this,you didn't because you are a weak pathetic fool!

PUTFOT

Blaming one's problem(s) on something or someone is an irresponsible b****-out move.

Drareg

Blaming one's problem(s) on something or someone is an irresponsible b****-out move.

Platitude and redundant heuristic is more irresponsible,your comment sums up what we are speaking about.

Back
Top Bottom