Milkpowder, Endotoxin And Bad Teeth

RMJ

When I started Peating I used al lot of skimmed milk powder (100g-200g/day) and my teeth were only getting worse (sensitive, noticable decalcificacion ...).

At firt I blamed it on the high P in milk and too mutch white sugar.

Recently im pretty obsessed with Endotoxin and I stumbled upon this study:

Gram-negative bacterial endotoxin (lipopolysaccharide) in milk and dairy products

"On average, farm milk contains less than 1 ng LPS/ml. Freshly produced market milk contains an equally low concentration of LPS .... Milk powder contained significantly higher concentrations of lipopolysaccharides, averaging 11,000 ng LPS/g"

And the are a lot of studys which claims, that Endotoxin increase bone resorption: (just 2 examples)

Effects of two bacterial products, muramyl dipeptide and endotoxin, on bone resorption in organ culture. - PubMed - NCBI
Endotoxin: stimulation of bone resorption in tissue culture. - PubMed - NCBI

Since i try to avoid all kind of Endotoxin my teeth are getting better.

Maybe someone has similar experience?

lvysaur

I've always felt that cooking milk (and sugar for that matter) is bad for your health.

Milk forms lactulose when cooked, a galactose-fructose disaccharide which is even more difficult to digest than lactose.

Milk and sugar both have a sickly sweet taste when they get cooked. I dislike caramel.

tara

I can't say I've noticed any correlation with teeth health, but I think I react worse to powdered milk or tinned condensed milk (which I think might be manufactured from powdered milk) than to bottled wet milk. DOn't now if that's to do with LPS /endotoxins or some other denaturing involved in dehydration.

theLaw

+1

Tried using organic fat-free milk powder to make cookies, and had some strange digestive issues.

Doesn't really make sense as the other ingredients are only butter and eggs.

churchmouth

When I discovered the recipe for skim-milk powder pancakes (powder + egg + sugar + milk), I tried twice with a little marmalade (store bought , includes pectin from fruit so could be problematic).

After consumption I got mega bloat within 30 minutes and eventually diahrea some hours later from both instances. This combo absolutely doesn't work for me.

Luann

I lived on powdered skim milk as a main calorie for more than six months. Effects were bad and good both but nothing that really seemed a huge problem. I'm switching to mostly liquid milk because it's easier to prepare and the liquid is lower in methionine and tryptophan and I need less sugar to make it taste good. But the powdered stuff isn't all bad.

Luann

I've always felt that cooking milk (and sugar for that matter) is bad for your health.

Milk forms lactulose when cooked, a galactose-fructose disaccharide which is even more difficult to digest than lactose.

Milk and sugar both have a sickly sweet taste when they get cooked. I dislike caramel.

So you would not home-condense milk a la Mittir?

lvysaur

So you would not home-condense milk a la Mittir?

I wouldn't, simply because why would I do that?

Health-wise, there's probably a difference between home-cooking and pasteurization. I would imagine that pasteurization is very quick heating, where room temperature milk gets forced to the goal temperature as quickly as possible. Contrast with reducing milk over a low flame over a long amount of time.

I actually sort of enjoy the taste of condensed milk, but mostly because it's high sugar. Can't stand caramel.

The lactulose is probably only a problem if it's a problem. I remember reading that it fosters gram positive bacteria (I know Peat also said that lactose grows gram +). I also don't get symptoms from UHT milk (other than gagging when I open the carton) and cooked milk desserts, but many do.

Luann

@ Ivysaur because I get really liquided out on a lot of milk and want a way to condense it a little bit with minimal damage.

"I actually sort of enjoy the taste of condensed milk, but mostly because it's high sugar. Can't stand caramel."

Lol it is quite good and the texture is awesome.

Luann

Endotoxin has become one of my main things to avoid.
Sure there's other negatives out there, estrogens, serotonin, tryptophan, etc. but I make a point of saying no to endotoxin-rich foods. They clog my sinuses and they inhibit the body's detox process.

Xemnoraq

Went on a skim milk powder binge, and honestly i think it really messed up my gut, i already have a ridiculously sensitive gut but for some reason this stuff made me feel so sick, which was a bummer because it was good for so many things and quick protein, judging also by its form it vcan sometimes be a bit too viscous, so that could prevent it from travelling properly or fast enough in the gut

boris

@Jake sullivan
He no longer recommends milk powder because the process that powder goes through to make it flow better, covers the product in nanoparticles which are inflammatory and cancerous. He said he has used hundred's of lbs of Milk Powder over the years but doesn't anymore.

Xemnoraq

No way seriously? Cancerous? Makes sense, because my gut is so messed up already i have these hard spots in my liver and gut area that get really bad if i eat the wrong thing, i dont know if its cancer or crohns or just simply really bad ibs but i get super sick skin turns pale bowel movements stop i get shortness of breath like im going to faint and loss or coordination, and i was doing ok then i added in skim milk powder and just crashed so hard got so sick and felt so weird and bad it was the worst experience and its a week later and my gut is improving but that was not a good time ill have to look more into that thankyou for sharing!

boris

Yeah, I think the main problem with nanoparticles is their small size which can wreck all kinds of havoc. They add it so the powder doesn't clump in the container (who even cares about that?).

If it clumps it should be safe, but who knows really........

Jodellefit - Ray Peat Q&A
Peat talks about it in this podcast. Timestamp is in the description

GelatinGoblin

An acid reflux reponse from the Endotoxin affecting your teeth, also less sterilization perhaps. Good find.

Vinny

Does anybody know what's the LPS content in cheese?