Milk Woes, Lactose Intolerance, Etc

narouz

There is some interesting stuff,
on milk troubles and lactose intolerance,
directly from Peat
in an interview with Josh and Jeanne Rubin called
East West Radio: Josh Rubin :Glycemia, starch and sugar interview
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/eastwe...ray-peat-glycemia-starch-and-sugar-in-context

Listen in at approximately the 1 hour and 9 minute mark.

I will try to transcribe some of it later,
but it basically seems to contain the notion
that people who believe they have some kind of unalterable "lactose intolerance,"
actually, in Peat's view, are suffering instead from bacterial overgrowth in
the upper intestine.

OP
N

narouz

"Milk in Context: Allergies, Ecology, and Some Myths"
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/milk.shtml

"Several surveys have found that of children who have a diagnosed milk allergy, about 2/3 of them grow out of the allergy.

People who have told me that they have had digestive problems with milk have sometimes found that a different brand of milk doesn't cause any problem.

Milk with reduced fat content is required by US law to have vitamins D and A added. The vehicle used in the vitamin preparation, and the industrial contaminants in the “pure” vitamins themselves, are possible sources of allergens in commercial milk, so whole milk is the most likely to be free of allergens.

A thickening agent commonly used in milk products, carrageenan, is a powerful allergen that can cause a “pseudo-latex allergy” (Tarlo, et al., 1995). It is a sulfated polysaccharide, structurally similar to heparin. There are good reasons to think that its toxic effects are the result of disturbance of calcium metabolism (see for example Abdullahi, et al., 1975; Halici, et al., 2008; Janaswamy and Chandrasekaran, 2008).

Besides the idea of milk allergy, the most common reason for avoiding milk is the belief that the genes of some ethnic groups cause them to lack the enzyme, lactase, needed to digest milk sugar, lactose, and that this causes lactose intolerance, resulting in gas or diarrhea when milk is consumed. Tests have been reported in which a glass of milk will cause the lactase deficient people to have abdominal pain. However, when intolerant people have been tested, using milk without lactose for comparison, there were no differences between those receiving milk with lactose or without it. The “intolerant” people consistently tolerate having a glass with each meal.

When a group of lactase deficient people have been given some milk every day for a few weeks, they have adapted, for example with tests showing that much less hydrogen gas was produced from lactose by intestinal bacteria after they had adapted (Pribila, et al., 2000).

Bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine can be caused by hypothyroidism (Lauritano, et al., 2007), and the substances produced by these bacteria can damage the lining of the small intestine, causing the loss of lactase enzymes (Walshe, et al., 1990).

Another hormonal condition that probably contributes to lactase deficiency is progesterone deficiency, since a synthetic progestin has been found to increase the enzyme (Nagpaul, et al., 1990). The particular progestin they used lacks many of progesterone's effects, but it does protect against some kinds of stress, including high estrogen and cortisol. This suggests that stress, with its increased ratio of estrogen and cortisol to progesterone, might commonly cause the enzyme to decrease."

gretchen

I haven't listen to it, but I personally was totally indoctrinated in the idea of lactose intolerance in my 20s. Also, the idea that humans shouldn't eat dairy, and it's full of hormones and causes weight gain and on and on. Millions of reasons not to drink milk. It's been fairly interesting to note that other than a few random zits I've had no problem with milk and apparently and not intolerant to it at all. 20 years of not drinking milk, I don't know how I ever did it.

PeatFeat

noblessoblige said:
I haven't listen to it, but I personally was totally indoctrinated in the idea of lactose intolerance in my 20s. Also, the idea that humans shouldn't eat dairy, and it's full of hormones and causes weight gain and on and on. Millions of reasons not to drink milk. It's been fairly interesting to note that other than a few random zits I've had no problem with milk and apparently and not intolerant to it at all. 20 years of not drinking milk, I don't know how I ever did it.

I've had similar views on milk for the last few years. It definitely tended to aggravate my acne, but I never really had digestion issues with it. I have been experimenting with it recently with good results, but have yet to make it a major part of my diet. I'm holding out a little longer so that my thyroid/metabolism is good when I take the plunge in order to prevent any bad affects (mainly cystic/nodulocystic acne). If I can drink milk again I will be so happy! :smokingjoint

OP
N

narouz

Posted this over in the gelatin, bone broth thread too.
Very interesting relationship noted between gelatin and milk digestability:

"In Gotthoffer's survey, one general area of health prescription clearly comes to the fore, and that is digestion. Most notably, he refers to over 30 years of research on gelatin's ability to improve the digestion of milk. In the early 1900s gelatin was therefore recommended as an ingredient in infant formula, to decrease allergic reactions, colic and respiratory ailments."

Quote was from a Townsend Newsletter.
I'll see if I can find it again....

WilltoBelieve

I think a missing link in this issue is not the lacktoas, but rather the natural tendency of adult mammals to produce less chymosin (adults really will produce almost none from my studies)....... so the milk has to curdle in the stomach as a result of heat and acidity rather than chymosin.... I would love to see some precise scientific discussion...
I persisted in the consumption of milk and this became ever so painfully clear in my case.

So I left the milky eden of my youth and joined a special cheese club for pre-senile intolerants.

I suppose if the metabolism is very strong, this could be irrelevant for many people... Once I get up to 2 grains per day of thyroid I'll give it another try... (but since Mr. Pete in Thailand has stopped selling thyroid-s and thiroyd I'll probably be out of luck).

forterpride

I think a missing link in this issue is not the lacktoas, but rather the natural tendency of adult mammals to produce less chymosin (adults really will produce almost none from my studies)....... so the milk has to curdle in the stomach as a result of heat and acidity rather than chymosin.... I would love to see some precise scientific discussion...
I persisted in the consumption of milk and this became ever so painfully clear in my case.

So I left the milky eden of my youth and joined a special cheese club for pre-senile intolerants.

I suppose if the metabolism is very strong, this could be irrelevant for many people... Once I get up to 2 grains per day of thyroid I'll give it another try... (but since Mr. Pete in Thailand has stopped selling thyroid-s and thiroyd I'll probably be out of luck).

so is this a bad thing? that milk curdles in the stomach? because i notice whenever i drink milk this happens. is it indicative of anything or cause for concern? thanks

chrismeyers

Well Im not in the population that doesn't. I drink milk all the time, it is the ultimate hereditary food for me because we've been drinking it and using it in everything for centuries, and I believe lactose intolerance is a myth broadly. If you put a guy on an island where there was nothing but milk within 3 days his body would be using and appreciating the milk without a problem

CoconutEffect

Well Im not in the population that doesn't. I drink milk all the time, it is the ultimate hereditary food for me because we've been drinking it and using it in everything for centuries, and I believe lactose intolerance is a myth broadly. If you put a guy on an island where there was nothing but milk within 3 days his body would be using and appreciating the milk without a problem
Lol your theory sounds more like a myth to me.

chrismeyers

Lol your theory sounds more like a myth to me.

Easy way to find out isnt there? Like I said, empty your house of all food, buy like 5 milk gallons. You dont have to drink it eagerly at first, but when you get hungry enough you will start drinking it. And I guarantee you your lactose intolerance will disappear into thin air within the same week. If thats all your body has, it will and does quickly adapt.

L

lollipop

Easy way to find out isnt there? Like I said, empty your house of all food, buy like 5 milk gallons. You dont have to drink it eagerly at first, but when you get hungry enough you will start drinking it. And I guarantee you your lactose intolerance will disappear into thin air within the same week. If thats all your body has, it will and does quickly adapt.
That is actually an interesting experiment @chrismeyers. I was intolerant to dairy because of long years of avoidance, then I ended up living in India with very low protein foods available in my personal case. I began to literally starve and craved milk. When I took up drinking it again, my body was sooooo happy and I had zero of the previous intolerance symptoms.