Milk Woes, Lactose Intolerance, Etc

Discussion in 'Working Through Milk Issues' started by narouz, Nov 14, 2012.

1. narouz

narouz Member

There is some interesting stuff,
    on milk troubles and lactose intolerance,
    directly from Peat
    in an interview with Josh and Jeanne Rubin called
    East West Radio: Josh Rubin :Glycemia, starch and sugar interview
    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/eastwe...ray-peat-glycemia-starch-and-sugar-in-context

Listen in at approximately the 1 hour and 9 minute mark.

I will try to transcribe some of it later,
    but it basically seems to contain the notion
    that people who believe they have some kind of unalterable "lactose intolerance,"
    actually, in Peat's view, are suffering instead from bacterial overgrowth in
    the upper intestine.

2. OP
    narouz

narouz Member

"Milk in Context: Allergies, Ecology, and Some Myths"
    http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/milk.shtml

3. gretchen

gretchen Member

I haven't listen to it, but I personally was totally indoctrinated in the idea of lactose intolerance in my 20s. Also, the idea that humans shouldn't eat dairy, and it's full of hormones and causes weight gain and on and on. Millions of reasons not to drink milk. It's been fairly interesting to note that other than a few random zits I've had no problem with milk and apparently and not intolerant to it at all. 20 years of not drinking milk, I don't know how I ever did it.

4. PeatFeat

PeatFeat Member

I've had similar views on milk for the last few years. It definitely tended to aggravate my acne, but I never really had digestion issues with it. I have been experimenting with it recently with good results, but have yet to make it a major part of my diet. I'm holding out a little longer so that my thyroid/metabolism is good when I take the plunge in order to prevent any bad affects (mainly cystic/nodulocystic acne). If I can drink milk again I will be so happy! :smokingjoint

5. OP
    narouz

narouz Member

Posted this over in the gelatin, bone broth thread too.
    Very interesting relationship noted between gelatin and milk digestability:

Quote was from a Townsend Newsletter.
    I'll see if I can find it again....

6. WilltoBelieve

WilltoBelieve Member

I think a missing link in this issue is not the lacktoas, but rather the natural tendency of adult mammals to produce less chymosin (adults really will produce almost none from my studies)....... so the milk has to curdle in the stomach as a result of heat and acidity rather than chymosin.... I would love to see some precise scientific discussion...
    I persisted in the consumption of milk and this became ever so painfully clear in my case.

So I left the milky eden of my youth and joined a special cheese club for pre-senile intolerants.

I suppose if the metabolism is very strong, this could be irrelevant for many people... Once I get up to 2 grains per day of thyroid I'll give it another try... (but since Mr. Pete in Thailand has stopped selling thyroid-s and thiroyd I'll probably be out of luck).

7. forterpride

forterpride Member

so is this a bad thing? that milk curdles in the stomach? because i notice whenever i drink milk this happens. is it indicative of anything or cause for concern? thanks

8. bdawg

bdawg Member

9. chrismeyers

chrismeyers Member

Well Im not in the population that doesn't. I drink milk all the time, it is the ultimate hereditary food for me because we've been drinking it and using it in everything for centuries, and I believe lactose intolerance is a myth broadly. If you put a guy on an island where there was nothing but milk within 3 days his body would be using and appreciating the milk without a problem

10. dilantinoid

dilantinoid Member

Lol your theory sounds more like a myth to me.

11. chrismeyers

chrismeyers Member

Easy way to find out isnt there? Like I said, empty your house of all food, buy like 5 milk gallons. You dont have to drink it eagerly at first, but when you get hungry enough you will start drinking it. And I guarantee you your lactose intolerance will disappear into thin air within the same week. If thats all your body has, it will and does quickly adapt.

12. lollipop

lollipop Guest

That is actually an interesting experiment @chrismeyers. I was intolerant to dairy because of long years of avoidance, then I ended up living in India with very low protein foods available in my personal case. I began to literally starve and craved milk. When I took up drinking it again, my body was sooooo happy and I had zero of the previous intolerance symptoms.