Dismiss Notice
  7. Orange & Red Light Therapy Device - LGS1
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Milk Thistle (silibinin) May Treat Cushing Disease And High Cortisol

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by haidut, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Bart1

Bart1 Member

I'm at the half of a 30 day milk thistle regimen. I have cushing like symptoms, (the buffalow neck). I must say I feel much more relaxed and energized. I take a standardized Silymarin extract 30:1 . I take 1500 mg a day. I also experience less pain in my neck. I sleep better so it's definitely working for me.

2. Hoodlt

Hoodlt Member

This is AWESOME! Do you mind sharing what brand you are taking and where you get it from? I really hope I can get him to stick with it. Right now we are using a German pharmaceutical. Thank you!

3. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

I would ask the doctor about the drug RU486 which is by now the defacto standard treatment for Cushing. Progesterone, testosterone, DHT, oxandrolone, have all been also used successfully for Cushing and the doctor can prescribe any of them.
    As far as more "natural" approaches, cascara/emodin inhibit cortisol synthesis and have shown robust effect in animal trials but have not been tried in humans yet.

4. Hoodlt

Hoodlt Member

Thank you for that info. We are going to give the Milk Thistle a try for one month at a high dose and see how he does. I keep reading about patients who have the surgery and it grows back so that isn't very appealing. It has morphed into more psychological issues and he has some hair pulling and cutting so we gotta get ahead of it. I have Progesterone and I will try that on the spot where he pulled his hair out and I also have cascara that I will give a try. Going to have to work on getting the rest. Thanks for jumping in.

5. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Surgery very rarely works. The risks are immense and of course downplayed by the doctors, and sometimes it can make the situation worse. The doctor may even suggest removing one of both adrenal glands but this is even more dangerous as it can cause Nelson syndrome.
    Nelson's syndrome - Wikipedia

6. Hoodlt

Hoodlt Member

I am in a Cushings group on Facebook and you are spot on. They seem to think the ONLY way to cure themselves is through surgery. I found a Pharma company in Italy that is doing clinical studies on Milk Thistle and am going to try to get him in it if possible. I agree completely with you. Some even have their pituitary removed and have replacement hormones the rest of their lives. For now, we are sticking with the MT as it is providing him the most relief. When he eats well (avoids PUFAs) and takes his MT, he does extremely well. I know I said it before but I will say it again...I really appreciate the sharing of information here. Thank you!!!

7. Bart1

Bart1 Member

I want to share that I quit the MT. I don’t know for sure but I think I got some estrogen symptoms. It could also be that my metabolism is switching from stress hormones to thyroid. My cholesterol is up, was always low. I now switched to MB, cypro and thyroid.

8. Hoodlt

Hoodlt Member

This is regarding the original study posted at the very top of the thread: IBI licenses Silibinin for the use in Cushing´s Disease

I contacted them and they are presently testing on animals and don't anticipate to be testing on humans for about 2 years. But I feel like companies would not do this much work if they didn't see promise so we are going ahead with milk thistle. The one I have has a lot of junk in it so I need a purer one but I am feeling hopeful. I am wondering how they induce Cushings in animals to test them?

9. Bart1

Bart1 Member

I have used Jarrow Formulas Milk Thistle i ordered it on iherb

10. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

I would also ask the doctor about RU486. It seems to work quite well for Cushing and does not seem to have serious side effects, and can be found in pretty much any country as it is used as an abortion pill as well. Google for "RU496 Cushing" and show the doctor the studies.

11. Bart1

Bart1 Member

@haidut
    Depending on the severity of one's symptoms, if the severity is not yet as extreme as all the internet pictures, but there is a lot of stress, fat buildup and buffalo hump.. is cypro, lapodin, progesterone, pregnenolone a better route to take for a male? How does RU496 fit into the other cortisol antagonists ?

12. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Yes, that's a route I would explore before jumping on the RU486 bandwagon. Btw, cyproheptadine has also been successfully used for Cushing syndrome so it is at least as good as a pharma drug alternative to RU486. Emodin would probably also work pretty well.
    Back in the day before RU486 and emodin were known, Cushing treatment was usually done with a combination of progesterone + anabolic steroid. Testosterone esters were commonly used, but also nandrolone, oxandrolone, Norbolethone, etc. Progesterone on its own or with a little DHEA may work well as an OTC option.

13. Hoodlt

Hoodlt Member

I think we will stick with the MT for now but also add in some Cascara, progesterone and lots of carrot salads/boiled mushrooms to keep estrogen in check. One thing that is HUGE in common with all the Cushings people is elevated liver enzymes and/or fatty liver and gallbladder issues. Just a small dose of the MT has kept his gallbladder at bay so he doesn't needs an emergency surgery on that. Will report back at the end of January how we do cleaning up his diet, adding some good metabolic foods in, increasing the dose of MT, and adding some Cascara, Progesterone and maybe the kitchen sink. This is such a horrific condition and has robbed him of some really great years. I am ready to put it behind us. I really appreciate the input. Thank you.

14. Ras

Ras Member

Nootropics Depot is an excellent source. Otherwise, I wouldn't trust any brands beyond Jarrow, Thorne, and NOW.

15. Hoodlt

Hoodlt Member

Thank you!