Milk Substitute - need quick guidance

bookshelf

I do not tolerate dairy well at all* unless it is raw and even then, I think I am experiencing low grade inflammation - basically the same symptoms as regular dairy but much more subtle. I will be moving in a few days and leaving my source of raw (cow) dairy and it will be some time until I can find another source or perhaps find and try raw goat's milk. I am really going to miss the milk - the taste, the stellar nutrition, using it in recipes, and byproducts like cheese but his will be a good test to see if my hunch about low grade inflammation is spot on. In the interim, I need suggestions for milk alternatives that don't have PUFA/additives/gluten (e.g. guar gum, carrageenan, nuts, seeds, grains) or a protocol that will help me fill the gap from this diet deficit.

I have tried to skim this board but am not putting my finger on a direct answer and am pressed for time packing boxes against a deadline to really dig so any help would be much appreciated.

*symptoms include eczema (usually inside my ears), joint pain, puffiness, stiffness, constipation, allergies (nose, itchy ears/eyes, asthma-like)

Calcium is essential and so in cultures that do not consume a ton of milk or are more impoverished, people have developed high calcium foods to replace it. In Asian cultures they use tofu, bone broth and dark greens and seaweed. In Central America they use Nixtamalized corn: tortillas and masa flour. Anything where you eat the bone like sardines or salmon. I am sure there are others I don't know about. I think milk is best but there are alternatives. Cheese is sometimes better tolerated, particularly if you prepare with animal rennet. Cheese is a nice concentrated form.

mrchibbs

I would agree with @PowertothePeatple

Natural cheese, greek yogurt and powdered egg shells for calcium should work.

There is no real alternative to milk though.

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions - it is helpful. I agree, there is no substitute for milk. It is a true bummer but I am trying to make the best of it.

mrchibbs

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions - it is helpful. I agree, there is no substitute for milk. It is a true bummer but I am trying to make the best of it.

It's possible to reach sufficient calcium levels with the suggestions mentioned though. And maybe in time, as you work on your GI health you can try to reintroduce small quantities of good milk to start to retrain you digestive system to digest it properly.

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

It's possible to reach sufficient calcium levels with the suggestions mentioned though. And maybe in time, as you work on your GI health you can try to reintroduce small quantities of good milk to start to retrain you digestive system to digest it properly.

Calcium is essential and so in cultures that do not consume a ton of milk or are more impoverished, people have developed high calcium foods to replace it. In Asian cultures they use tofu, bone broth and dark greens and seaweed. In Central America they use Nixtamalized corn: tortillas and masa flour. Anything where you eat the bone like sardines or salmon. I am sure there are others I don't know about. I think milk is best but there are alternatives. Cheese is sometimes better tolerated, particularly if you prepare with animal rennet. Cheese is a nice concentrated form.

What's odd is that I don't think that it is my GI health. I truly believe that I was vaccine injured and that it damaged my ability to metabolize milk.

I make my own calcium by using egg shells. I will add the ground shells to my coffee grounds. I'm not sure how much I ultimately get out of each cup (math) but that Is one way for sure to help boost my intake. I did not know that corn had calcium.

I wish there was something I could drink that would be a good substitute. I just love that glass of milk!

Dr. B

I would agree with @PowertothePeatple

Natural cheese, greek yogurt and powdered egg shells for calcium should work.

There is no real alternative to milk though.
greek yogurt is fine? does it not have much lactic acid or does it vary by brand?
costcos organic, made in canada greek yogurt has a sour taste its tough to eat without mixing in sugar or cinnamon or fruits

Dr. B

I do not tolerate dairy well at all* unless it is raw and even then, I think I am experiencing low grade inflammation - basically the same symptoms as regular dairy but much more subtle. I will be moving in a few days and leaving my source of raw (cow) dairy and it will be some time until I can find another source or perhaps find and try raw goat's milk. I am really going to miss the milk - the taste, the stellar nutrition, using it in recipes, and byproducts like cheese but his will be a good test to see if my hunch about low grade inflammation is spot on. In the interim, I need suggestions for milk alternatives that don't have PUFA/additives/gluten (e.g. guar gum, carrageenan, nuts, seeds, grains) or a protocol that will help me fill the gap from this diet deficit.

I have tried to skim this board but am not putting my finger on a direct answer and am pressed for time packing boxes against a deadline to really dig so any help would be much appreciated.

*symptoms include eczema (usually inside my ears), joint pain, puffiness, stiffness, constipation, allergies (nose, itchy ears/eyes, asthma-like)
have you tried a usda organic, A2, 100% grass fed milk thats non homogenized, whole with no added vitamins

mrchibbs

greek yogurt is fine? does it not have much lactic acid or does it vary by brand?
costcos organic, made in canada greek yogurt has a sour taste its tough to eat without mixing in sugar or cinnamon or fruits

Greek yogurt is basically regular yogurt but with 90% of the lactic acid/whey drained off. And yes, it is much better mixed with other things. I like marmalade, honey, applesauce etc.

Dr. B

Greek yogurt is basically regular yogurt but with 90% of the lactic acid/whey drained off. And yes, it is much better mixed with other things. I like marmalade, honey, applesauce etc.
interesting do you know if the casein becomes more digestible in greek yogurt vs milk?
its tough finding an A2 greek yogurt...

mrchibbs

interesting do you know if the casein becomes more digestible in greek yogurt vs milk?
its tough finding an A2 greek yogurt...

The yogurt making process breaks down the molecules which are more difficult to digest.

Rafe

Not all corn has significant calcium.

Only nixtamalized corn does. It is corn soaked in calcium lime. You have to read the labels to know what corn products are likely to have that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals