Milk problems A1?

Nimo

Hello, @haidut @Hans

If everyone Peaty talk about milk and dairy, is he talking about cow milk with A2 casein? i know only mattblackburn who have goat milk whitch is naturaly A2. Is there evidence that A1 is bad for human health and we should aim for A2 casein? i saw Kitty is selling Casein powder protein whitch is pure A1 casein. Any study or something?
Someones other experience or knowlage ?
Thanks

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hello, @haidut @Hans

If everyone Peaty talk about milk and dairy, is he talking about cow milk with A2 casein? i know only mattblackburn who have goat milk whitch is naturaly A2. Is there evidence that A1 is bad for human health and we should aim for A2 casein? i saw Kitty is selling Casein powder protein whitch is pure A1 casein. Any study or something?
Thanks
Yes, there's actually a lot of studies showing the A1 casein causes inflammation in a lot of people.

"In vivo consumption of A1 relative to A2 delays intestinal transit in rodents via an opioid-mediated mechanism. Rodent models also link consumption of A1 to the initiation of inflammatory response markers plus enhanced Toll-like receptor expression relative to both A2 and nonmilk controls. Although most rodent responses are confirmed as opioid-mediated, there is evidence that dipeptidyl peptidase 4 stimulation in the jejunum of rodents is via a nonopioid mechanism. In humans, there is evidence from a limited number of studies that A1 consumption is also associated with delayed intestinal transit (1 clinical study) and looser stool consistency (2 clinical studies). In addition, digestive discomfort is correlated with inflammatory markers in humans for A1 but not A2."

"Consumption of milk containing A1 β-casein was associated with increased gastrointestinal inflammation, worsening of PD3 symptoms, delayed transit, and decreased cognitive processing speed and accuracy. Because elimination of A1 β-casein attenuated these effects, some symptoms of lactose intolerance may stem from inflammation it triggers, and can be avoided by consuming milk containing only the A2 type of beta casein."

"In an analysis of the 25 LI subjects, total symptom score for abdominal pain was lower following consumption of milk containing A2 β-casein only, compared with conventional milk (p = 0.004). Post hoc analysis with lactose maldigesters revealed statistically significantly improved symptom scores (p = 0.04) and lower hydrogen production (p = 0.04) following consumption of milk containing A2 β-casein only compared with conventional milk. Consumption of milk containing A2 β-casein only is associated with fewer GI symptoms than consumption of conventional milk in lactose maldigesters."

OP
N

Nimo

Yes, there's actually a lot of studies showing the A1 casein causes inflammation in a lot of people.

"In vivo consumption of A1 relative to A2 delays intestinal transit in rodents via an opioid-mediated mechanism. Rodent models also link consumption of A1 to the initiation of inflammatory response markers plus enhanced Toll-like receptor expression relative to both A2 and nonmilk controls. Although most rodent responses are confirmed as opioid-mediated, there is evidence that dipeptidyl peptidase 4 stimulation in the jejunum of rodents is via a nonopioid mechanism. In humans, there is evidence from a limited number of studies that A1 consumption is also associated with delayed intestinal transit (1 clinical study) and looser stool consistency (2 clinical studies). In addition, digestive discomfort is correlated with inflammatory markers in humans for A1 but not A2."

"Consumption of milk containing A1 β-casein was associated with increased gastrointestinal inflammation, worsening of PD3 symptoms, delayed transit, and decreased cognitive processing speed and accuracy. Because elimination of A1 β-casein attenuated these effects, some symptoms of lactose intolerance may stem from inflammation it triggers, and can be avoided by consuming milk containing only the A2 type of beta casein."

"In an analysis of the 25 LI subjects, total symptom score for abdominal pain was lower following consumption of milk containing A2 β-casein only, compared with conventional milk (p = 0.004). Post hoc analysis with lactose maldigesters revealed statistically significantly improved symptom scores (p = 0.04) and lower hydrogen production (p = 0.04) following consumption of milk containing A2 β-casein only compared with conventional milk. Consumption of milk containing A2 β-casein only is associated with fewer GI symptoms than consumption of conventional milk in lactose maldigesters."
so why does people like kitty or kate promote casein powder if its A1. and they promote it like it is ok for most people... it is only about business?

Hans

Forum Supporter
so why does people like kitty or kate promote casein powder if its A1. and they promote it like it is ok for most people... it is only about business?
I have no idea. Maybe it's cheaper than A2 or they don't know or they think if someone is metabolically optimal it doesn't matter. Whatever the case may be, A1 casein on its own is probably a bad idea, since it promotes inflammation, has an opioid effect (which lowers steroidogenesis and increase prolactin) and inhibits folate uptake into the brain.

K

Kayaker

Hello, @haidut @Hans

Thanks
How can you tell if milk is A1 or A2?

-Luke-

How can you tell if milk is A1 or A2?
Goat, sheep, camel and buffalo milk is mostly A2. If cows milk is A2, it should say so on the carton (I don't see any reason why a company would sell A2 milk without declaring it). If there isn't some note on the carton, it's A1. I don't know about the situation in the US, but in Europe basically every cows milk in the supermarket is A1. I know one A2 brand in the Netherlands.

K

Kayaker

Goat, sheep, camel and buffalo milk is mostly A2. If cows milk is A2, it should say so on the carton (I don't see any reason why a company would sell A2 milk without declaring it). If there isn't some note on the carton, it's A1. I don't know about the situation in the US, but in Europe basically every cows milk in the supermarket is A1. I know one A2 brand in the Netherlands.
Helpful. Thanks. :cow: