Milk, OJ, Cottage Cheese, Yogurt..... Does Temperature of these foods matter?

tankasnowgod

I've been thinking more about overall Body Temperature recently, which made Peat's recent newsletter especially timely.

It's gotten me wondering more and more..... could some of the problems people have with the foods mentioned in the title be due to the fact they are mostly eaten cold? Usually, straight out of the fridge? I know Peat has suggested that hypothyroid people can't handle liquids well. Is part of the issue so many liquids are drunk cold?

I know Matt Stone made this point (or something similar) in "Eat for Heat." There is also a German author, Uwe Karstädt, who warned of this problem, specifiically mentioning cold beer-

Youtube can auto generate English subtitles, FYI.

Could temperature be a reason for "Beer Belly?" And why there isn't the term "Red Wine Belly?"

I've been trying to keep some drinks warmer recently, like storing soda at room temperature. I tried heating up some milk before bed last night (just like for kids!), and seemed to feel better than when drinking colder beverages before bed. Although, this morning trying to warm up juice, I cracked a glass.

Anyone have any useful tips, tricks or gadgets to quickly warm up milk and OJ? I've seen beverage warmers, but don't know if they would work.

An Infrared Warmer would be fantastic, if it worked.

Related threads-

dukesbobby777

Ray Peat hasn’t ever brought this subject up, even when asked about why people might be drinking milk/OJ from the fridge, and finding that it acutely cools them. It’s one of those questions I’ve always wanted to ask him about. Calves don’t drink refrigerated milk from their mothers.

I mean, he may have been asked the question. But I’ve never seen the answer posted here.

Chinese medicine views the temperature of foods to be pretty important. Not saying Chinese medicine is something to follow, but it makes sense to me.

If it’s really cold in winter, I am going to be craving some hot salty soup, not a quart of refrigerated milk to warm myself up. I think milk is the ultimate metabolic stoker (nutritionally a powerhouse), but that acute effect of when you drink it becomes problematic if it’s too cold, or you struggle with other aspects of it (quantity of liquid; lactose intolerance; quality of brand, etc).

Last edited:
OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

If it’s really cold in winter, I am going to be craving some hot salty soup, not a quart of refrigerated milk to warm myself up. I think milk is the ultimate metabolic stoker (nutritionally a powerhouse), but that acute effect of when you drink it becomes problematic if it’s too cold, or you struggle with other aspects of it (quantity of liquid; lactose intolerance; quality of brand, etc).

A few years ago, I tried to go no fat, as an experiment, using the William Brown diet as a sort of template. I felt fine the first day, but degraded quickly, and by day four, just felt cold and horrible, and digestion seemed really bad. I ended the experiment, and within 2 days, was back to normal. But skim milk and cottage cheese were my only sources of protein. Don't think I cooked anything, probably only had hot coffee as any sort of warm meal.

I tried something similar for two days this month, but using more hot coffee, and having one hot meal at night (warming up some mushrooms, onions, and zuchinni). I felt much better doing that.

Maybe heat is one of those missing elements when people try to go very low or no fat?

nomoreketones

Don't know if this is what you are looking for but I do have an anecdote involving food temperature and body temperature. I have not done this in a while but in the winter time if I eat a pint of Hagen Daz ice cream served cold, an hour later I get incredibly warm and my tolerance to cold weather goes way up. Hagen Daz can keep me warm in the winter.

I don't think Hagen Daz comes in pints anymore. I think a few years back they shrank the containers down to 14 oz.

Lejeboca

Anyone have any useful tips, tricks or gadgets to quickly warm up milk and OJ?

I mix orange juice with boiling water, about 4:1 parts, depending on the season since I drink OJ warm even in the summer if I am inside. The ration 4:1 does not taste diluted especially since I first dissolve a pinch of salt and about 1/2 tbsp of sugar in the boining water then top the glass or mug with OJ.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Don't know if this is what you are looking for but I do have an anecdote involving food temperature and body temperature. I have not done this in a while but in the winter time if I eat a pint of Hagen Daz ice cream served cold, an hour later I get incredibly warm and my tolerance to cold weather goes way up. Hagen Daz can keep me warm in the winter.

I don't think Hagen Daz comes in pints anymore. I think a few years back they shrank the containers down to 14 oz.

Two quick questions.... how old were you at that time, as was the winter climate mild, or harsh?

I think Ice Cream could be a very pro metabolic food, nutrient wise. I think this might almost be like "cold thermogenesis," which seems to work in younger people, but not necessarily older or health compromised people.

nomoreketones

Two quick questions.... how old were you at that time, as was the winter climate mild, or harsh?

I think Ice Cream could be a very pro metabolic food, nutrient wise. I think this might almost be like "cold thermogenesis," which seems to work in younger people, but not necessarily older or health compromised people.
Age - early 40s.

Temperature varied a lot day to day. The average low temp in January is 27 degrees F.

mrchibbs

I think this might be simply due to the fat slowing the digestion of the milk proteins. Plus Haagen Dasz has egg yolks and sugar, it's kind of a perfect food, aside from the fact that they may not be using the best quality dairy.

mrchibbs

I find it does matter. Warm milk is objectively easier to digest vs. cold milk.

dukesbobby777

Hagen daz is also low fluid, is it not? Personally, I don’t get on well with it. Tried it in the evenings many times, thinking it to be the perfect tool for aiding relaxation and sleep, but it does horrible things for my blood sugars, and results in being more alert and unable to wind down. Maybe the combination of high sugar and high fat isn’t so good for relaxation. Or the therapeutic window (if it exists for me) is in the dose. But only having a scoop or two of ice cream is very hard (I end up scoffing the whole pot).

A few years ago, I tried to go no fat, as an experiment, using the William Brown diet as a sort of template. I felt fine the first day, but degraded quickly, and by day four, just felt cold and horrible, and digestion seemed really bad. I ended the experiment, and within 2 days, was back to normal. But skim milk and cottage cheese were my only sources of protein. Don't think I cooked anything, probably only had hot coffee as any sort of warm meal.

I tried something similar for two days this month, but using more hot coffee, and having one hot meal at night (warming up some mushrooms, onions, and zuchinni). I felt much better doing that.

Maybe heat is one of those missing elements when people try to go very low or no fat?

I got the same results from low fat (mostly dairy). Along with problematic bowel movements (without the fat, stools turn into pellets or boulders and become difficult to expel). I just put it down to my body needing the fat in those dairy foods to digest them properly (I don’t get it from other types of low fat foods). But yes, I got the low temperatures as well. Which I found confusing, because i thought that feeding my body carbs instead of fats would increase the randle cycle activity (co2 increasing heat, etc). Maybe strategic dosing of agents to utilize the sugar properly is what’s needed (niacinamide, b vits, aspirin, etc), but that’s an entirely different minefield to get right in itself. It’s not easy, this Peat way of eating. I’ve been at it for seven years now.

nomoreketones

That's pretty impressive, then. I was thinking you were gonna be a 20 year old in like, Texas, or something.
I used to eat a pint of ice cream every time when I went out with friends at night because it kept me warm, increased my sociability, and made me more lucid overall. But I stopped because it also made me gain fat.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

It’s not easy, this Peat way of eating. I’ve been at it for seven years now.

Well, the general principles are pretty easy, and enjoyable overall. I've even found going no starch to be pretty easy and enjoyable this time around.

But when really trying to dial something in, it can get pretty complicated. Or using it to reach some sort of goal.

dukesbobby777

Well, the general principles are pretty easy, and enjoyable overall. I've even found going no starch to be pretty easy and enjoyable this time around.

But when really trying to dial something in, it can get pretty complicated. Or using it to reach some sort of goal.

I agree about the no starch thing. The gut feels peaceful, which has knock on effects for everything else. I think with no starch in the diet my biggest challenge is always remembering to eat enough. And that’s even more important if I’m on the more lower fat side of things. Because hunger will often manifest as cravings for starchy things. Not because it tastes good. Rice, potatoes and anything else starchy that stand alone as foods, tô me, just taste bland. It’s the condiments, sauces and flavorings that get added, for me, that make them addicting (tomato ketchup being my favourite). And of course, starch just being everywhere and eaten by everyone, and it being so engrained in daily life for people. I plan to go back to no starch soon.

gaze

I think this might be simply due to the fat slowing the digestion of the milk proteins. Plus Haagen Dasz has egg yolks and sugar, it's kind of a perfect food, aside from the fact that they may not be using the best quality dairy.

did you notice anything about haagen daaz vanilla tasting different in the past 2 years? I think they may have made it worse than it was before, although im personally uncertain. @nomoreketones any thoughts since you noticed the size change?

Last edited:
OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Rice, potatoes and anything else starchy that stand alone as foods, tô me, just taste bland. It’s the condiments, sauces and flavorings that get added, for me, that make them addicting (tomato ketchup being my favourite).

Yep, agree. No one really craves wheat, they crave pizza, pasta, donuts and such.

Potato does really well with fat, however. Hash browns and French fries are G E W D, gewd.

reaching

Yes. Warm or room temperature milk is optimal for me. Also, I find it much better on my stomach when I sip on the milk rather than take big gulps or chug it. I am taking a break from dairy right now but that’s how I was able to start consuming dairy regularly: room temp and sipping.

I would be lying though if I said chugging cold milk when you’re craving it, especially after a warm bath isn’t satisfying.

Same goes with water. I find sipping it to be more hydrating than chugging it at a cold temperature. But a nice cold glass of water just hits the spot sometimes. It’s probably really bad for the internal organs and I imagine it is stressful. That’s why I always thought the ice cream thing here was strange. I figured it would be taxing on the system.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Yes. Warm or room temperature milk is optimal for me. Also, I find it much better on my stomach when I sip on the milk rather than take big gulps or chug it. I am taking a break from dairy right now but that’s how I was able to start consuming dairy regularly: room temp and sipping.

I would be lying though if I said chugging cold milk when you’re craving it, especially after a warm bath isn’t satisfying.

Same goes with water. I find sipping it to be more hydrating than chugging it at a cold temperature. But a nice cold glass of water just hits the spot sometimes. It’s probably really bad for the internal organs and I imagine it is stressful. That’s why I always thought the ice cream thing here was strange. I figured it would be taxing on the system.

There could be a lot of context here. If you are young and/or healthy, temperature might not matter much.

Summer, cold foods might be fine regardless.

Winter, maybe not so much.

mrchibbs

Funnily enough this used to be part of the popular wisdom, using little sips of warm milk.

Back
Top Bottom