Milk is the most non-peaty peat food ever

Because I don’t know if I’ll want to continue climbing after that or that my body could take it, but it’s important to me that I get up more than just the metaphorical mountain I’ve been climbing these past 13 years since fracturing, even if it’s just one last time.
I get it.

sweetpeat

@sweetpeat, I’m not sure why the link for LocalHarvest says Dallas, TX, but it’s a nationwide resource database.
Wow, Jennifer, thank you for taking the time to compile such an extensive list! I'm sure this will help many others besides myself.
Fruit is usually just a supplement to my diet as well. I only seem to want it in the summer/early fall months. I don't know if it's due to the temperature or the longer daylight, or both. I usually stick to mostly orange juice due to lack of selection, except for that short window when things are in season. That's why I was curious how you manage to eat such a wide variety. I'll definitely check out some of those links.

I'm trying my hand at growing cantaloupe this year. I had to start them indoors due to the short growing season. They are outside now. Fingers crossed I manage to get a cantaloupe or two. I lost a couple plants due to slugs :confused:

Jennifer

My pleasure, @sweetpeat. :) The variety might seem impressive, but it’s deceptive. I was on a fruit dominant, plant-based diet for over two decades—and almost 7 years of that was strictly fruitarian—so to acquire enough ripe fruit to meet my caloric needs while living in the Northeast meant melons, grapes, dates and young coconut meat made up the majority of my calories and the rest, though a wide variety, were more like a supplement to my diet.

You mention only wanting fruit in the summer and early fall months—do you ever cook your fruit? I ask because I wasn’t a huge fan of fruit in the winter until I started making compôtes and baked fruit. Now fall and winter are my favorite times of year to consume fruit, especially in our region—we have amazing orchards! I typically make compôte in large batches on the stove, but it can easily be made in the microwave. When I’m pressed for time, I mix a jarred apple pear sauce with a variety of dried raisins, some cinnamon and nutmeg (or apple pie spice blend), vanilla, sweetener (I use Dolcedi apple sugar), and salted butter and heat it up in the microwave. Peaches with cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and raw cream is really good, too. For baked fruit, I core apples and pears and stuff their cavity with dried cherries, cranberries and raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, some sprouted oats (for my dad’s), maple syrup and salted butter, wrap them in parchment paper and bake them in the oven. This also works well with winter squash. I just picked up some figs at trader Joe's that are fairly jammy so I might try stuffing them with goat cheese and baking them.

That’s great that you’re growing your own melons. I’m sorry slugs got to some of your plants. Have you tried covering your beds with garden hoop frames covered in a fine mesh netting? My brother gave me some EarthBox planters for Christmas so next year, I plan on growing fruit on my back deck and using hoop frames and netting to prevent bugs and animals from getting to them.

sweetpeat

My pleasure, @sweetpeat. :) The variety might seem impressive, but it’s deceptive. I was on a fruit dominant, plant-based diet for over two decades—and almost 7 years of that was strictly fruitarian—so to acquire enough ripe fruit to meet my caloric needs while living in the Northeast meant melons, grapes, dates and young coconut meat made up the majority of my calories and the rest, though a wide variety, were more like a supplement to my diet.

You mention only wanting fruit in the summer and early fall months—do you ever cook your fruit? I ask because I wasn’t a huge fan of fruit in the winter until I started making compôtes and baked fruit. Now fall and winter are my favorite times of year to consume fruit, especially in our region—we have amazing orchards! I typically make compôte in large batches on the stove, but it can easily be made in the microwave. When I’m pressed for time, I mix a jarred apple pear sauce with a variety of dried raisins, some cinnamon and nutmeg (or apple pie spice blend), vanilla, sweetener (I use Dolcedi apple sugar), and salted butter and heat it up in the microwave. Peaches with cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and raw cream is really good, too. For baked fruit, I core apples and pears and stuff their cavity with dried cherries, cranberries and raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, some sprouted oats (for my dad’s), maple syrup and salted butter, wrap them in parchment paper and bake them in the oven. This also works well with winter squash. I just picked up some figs at trader Joe's that are fairly jammy so I might try stuffing them with goat cheese and baking them.

That’s great that you’re growing your own melons. I’m sorry slugs got to some of your plants. Have you tried covering your beds with garden hoop frames covered in a fine mesh netting? My brother gave me some EarthBox planters for Christmas so next year, I plan on growing fruit on my back deck and using hoop frames and netting to prevent bugs and animals from getting to them.
I do enjoy some cooked fruit. I was thinking of apple crisp as I read what you wrote about compôtes, They sound really yummy! You always have amazing recipe ideas.

No, I haven't tried covering the plants with anything yet. They are in the ground, not in a planter so I wonder if slugs could crawl under a net. This is my first time to try growing food so I'm learning as I go. Like where is the best spot to plant, how to care for them, and how to deal with other creatures that want to eat my food.

Jennifer

I do enjoy some cooked fruit. I was thinking of apple crisp as I read what you wrote about compôtes, They sound really yummy! You always have amazing recipe ideas.

No, I haven't tried covering the plants with anything yet. They are in the ground, not in a planter so I wonder if slugs could crawl under a net. This is my first time to try growing food so I'm learning as I go. Like where is the best spot to plant, how to care for them, and how to deal with other creatures that want to eat my food.

Thank you! :) Luckily, I have someone who is willing to be my taste tester.

I understand. I'm still learning, too. I've been growing flowers since my teens, but produce is fairly new to me. I live on acres of wooded land and my flower beds are like a salad bar to deer so that’s mainly why I want to attempt growing fruit and herbs on my deck. It’s also convenient. My deck is right off the kitchen so when I’m fixing meals or want a snack, all I’ll have to do is step out the back slider. Planting in pots also allows me to grow certain fig and grape varieties that are outside the hardiness zone for my area.

Summer

Yeah I used Manuka honey topically the first few days and internally too. I stopped because it wouldn’t dry out and scab up solidly. Now I take my shower, and the thing gets all soft again, but I put a cool blow dryer on it to dry it back out and then some Progest-E and that is when things started to happen! From the moment I got the burn it did not hurt at all. I am REALLY surprised about that, because in the past a first degree burn from cooking would be so painful for days. This is a large second degree burn I got from the tailpipe of a motorcycle and the skin came off in one sheet instantly. I never felt anything! It is strangest thing.
Are you putting progest-E directly on it or just supplementing? Wouldn’t it prevent the scab from forming?

Also are you covering it at all? I have a similar wound that hasn’t healed in 3 years and I’m at a loss. It scars over and then just reopens.

lvysaur

we biologically don't want milk past infancy
I physiologically want milk sometimes. Always paired with sweet/starchy foods. It's not something to drink when you're very very hungry.

All your other arguments can be made for other foods (killing a plant for its root is unnatural) or only apply to industrialized Holstein milk.

Are you putting progest-E directly on it or just supplementing? Wouldn’t it prevent the scab from forming?

Also are you covering it at all? I have a similar wound that hasn’t healed in 3 years and I’m at a loss. It scars over and then just reopens.
Mine healed completely within 3 weeks. I using the Progest-E AROUND the scab. After the burn healed and the scab came off is when I started putting the Progest-E ON the burn spot. I also took some MSM every morning, and later on, every other morning on an empty stomach, before coffee. I read years ago it is used to successfully treat burn victims. Don’t cover it. Here is a pic I just took of mine. It is fading already.

Attachments

• 58EB33F8-8120-4C36-B739-26ACEB6C393A.jpeg
    58EB33F8-8120-4C36-B739-26ACEB6C393A.jpeg
    437.1 KB · Views: 14

Summer

Mine healed completely within 3 weeks. I using the Progest-E AROUND the scab. After the burn healed and the scab came off is when I started putting the Progest-E ON the burn spot. I also took some MSM every morning, and later on, every other morning on an empty stomach, before coffee. I read years ago it is used to successfully treat burn victims. Don’t cover it. Here is a pic I just took of mine. It is fading already.
That’s amazing. For that type of wound, the scarring is very minimal. Thank you for the information! I’m gonna try to replicate your process.

That’s amazing. For that type of wound, the scarring is very minimal. Thank you for the information! I’m gonna try to replicate your process.
Let me know how it goes. I felt like Manuka was a good move the first couple of days while there was a chance for infection. Use the blow dryer on a cool setting to keep it dry when it gets wet.

Sevaan

@Jennifer, what would you consider a healthy sugar-to-milk ratio?

Say, per each 100ml of milk, how many grams of added sugar would you consider metabolically-supportive (i.e. that doesn't overly spike blood sugar, etc)?

I understand that you get your sugars from fruit. But if you were to add coconut/muscovado sugar, how much would you do?

Thank you!

CastorTroy

First problem with milk is too high calcium umbalanced with magnesium, far from optimal 1:1 Ca:Mg. Second is milk processing pasteurization/homogenization.

Jennifer

@Sevaan, I think taste is the best guide so just like salting to taste, I add sugar to taste. I noticed a pattern years ago when using my refractometer to check my urine Brix that my sugars are lower first thing in the morning so my taste for sweet is higher then, and as the day progresses, my sugars rise and my taste for sweet decreases.

If I'm having goat's milk, I always add some apple sugar to it (roughly 1 tsp to 1 TBSP per liter) because it’s not sweet enough for me, as is, but if I'm having cow's milk, I don't typically add any sugar. For keeping my blood sugar stable, I’m finding it important to have a good mix of all three macros. Averaging 80% of calories from carbs and 10% from fat and protein for years really messed with my blood sugar, liver and gallbladder.

I hope that helps! :)

SamYo123

@Sevaan, I think taste is the best guide so just like salting to taste, I add sugar to taste. I noticed a pattern years ago when using my refractometer to check my urine Brix that my sugars are lower first thing in the morning so my taste for sweet is higher then, and as the day progresses, my sugars rise and my taste for sweet decreases.

If I'm having goat's milk, I always add some apple sugar to it (roughly 1 tsp to 1 TBSP per liter) because it’s not sweet enough for me, as is, but if I'm having cow's milk, I don't typically add any sugar. For keeping my blood sugar stable, I’m finding it important to have a good mix of all three macros. Averaging 80% of calories from carbs and 10% from fat and protein for years really messed with my blood sugar, liver and gallbladder.

I hope that helps! :)
sugar still tastes sweet when blood sugar is high from the stress hormomes

LadyRae

I agree with the op. And isn't it clear that we are supposed to experiment with ourselves and learn from our own reactions to foods?

Eliminating dairy for my life was the best thing I ever did, about 25 years ago. Growing up, we did not eat any processed foods, we were not allowed to go to fast food places, my mother made home cooked meals and organs at a time in the '80s when these things are definitely not popular. Despite this, I consumed milk and cheese and I would get about three or four sinus infections a year. Other than that, I was a robust strong fit young girl living in the country and we also travel a lot throughout the world as my parents were definitely free spirits

Once I eliminated dairy, my sinus infections disappeared, never to return. I've always maintained a healthy weight, never broken a bone, I've had one cavity in my life...

Shortly after discovering the work of Ray Peat, I decided to supplement with some T3 and try eating dairy again... This was about a year and a half ago. I was about 42. Acne came back into my life as if I was 15. I felt sluggish and inflamed and swollen most of the time. After a few months, I dropped Dairy again and all of the symptoms went away.

I believe it's silly to try to force dietary recommendations on other people just because it works really well for some.

Jennifer

sugar still tastes sweet when blood sugar is high from the stress hormomes
Yep, sugar tastes sweet to me regardless, but it tastes sweeter when my blood sugar is higher. When I was running on stress hormones, I experienced hypoglycemic episodes and sugar tasted less sweet to me so I needed more of it, just like when my blood sugar is low, first thing in the morning.