Milk is the most non-peaty peat food ever

Well, as long as we learn something from it...

Wow! Just wow! This is a great day for me on the forum! I have soaked in so much good stuff this morning! Your last sentence and that poem was amazing food for thought for me today!

Dr. B

I can't remember the last time I ate at a fast food restaurant so I can't answer that. I did have wraps, pasta salad and cake at the luncheon after my mum's funeral and tolerated them just fine, even took leftovers home and had them for the next 3 days, but it was held at more of an upscale restaurant so most likely better quality than McDonald’s. The only food I have an intolerance to now is honey. ?
what causes honey intolerance? isnt it easily tolerable?

Dr. B

See now that is what I wanna hear! Jennifer to the rescue, making good sense of things! I should have heeded that anti-Peat warning before treading in here!

I can relate to the end of you you posted. I was the healthiest eater I knew and I am reacting to new furniture, struggled with my weight, got puffy eyes constantly from too many things I ate and so on, but i truely think a lot of it, for me, was all the well meaning supplements. i think they created allergies and more imbalances. Admittedly I was so nice to not have to think about my health so much and just take a pill.
do u mean naive to not think about health?
are u still reacting to those things

do u mean naive to not think about health?
are u still reacting to those things
I meant it was nice to not have to go the extra lengths to eating right, and taking a capsule of some sort was easier, than having to cook liver and balance foods with extra things to do. I would get immediate negative reactions to things, which seemed to be to everything. If i had puffy eyes from milk, which I did get, I would just take nettle capsules or a Claratin, and I had a quick solution for ever other situation. I have had to get to know myself like I am sitting on a deserted island and chuck everything I was doing and start from scratch, and myself is happy now for it. Life is much easier too not overthinking or being scared of food all the time. I don’t get reactions to anything now either.

Last edited:

Jennifer

I can relate to the end of you you posted. I was the healthiest eater I knew and I am reacting to new furniture, struggled with my weight, got puffy eyes constantly from too many things I ate and so on, but i truely think a lot of it, for me, was all the well meaning supplements. i think they created allergies and more imbalances. Admittedly I was so nice to not have to think about my health so much and just take a pill.

Rinse, do you remember what started you down the supplement path? And were either of your parents into diet and/or fitness?

Hopefully, this isn’t too off topic, but I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t interested in health and nutrition, and I grew up surrounded by the weight conscious. I mean, just look at this photo of me as a child:

F6144B98-7B1D-42E9-AD61-97A2319FF9F2.jpeg

The title on the book reads Thin Thighs in 30 Days. That’s so messed up! lol As far as I’m concerned, babies should not be reading diet books. Babies (and I’d argue, adults too ;)) should be doing this:

18AFA224-4834-4CE7-9100-62A3D053BD5A.jpeg

Peaty or not, that right there in my pudgy little hands is soul food. Will it cure every disease known to man, I don’t know, but what I do know is that the more I let go of theories and just eat what I truly enjoy, the more tolerant and robust my body becomes. Everyone’s mileage varies, but I do think many develop intolerances making too many decisions from the mind and not enough from the heart.

I think this is a problem for many people who become "health conscious" after not caring much about health and nutrition (or only at a superficial level). I have had the same experience. Thinking about health and nutrition can easily lead to over-thinking and over-worrying. You sometimes become aware of problems you didn't even realize you had before, and think you need to take supplement X and avoid food Y to fix the problem you didn't even notice you had before.

Well, as long as we learn something from it...

This.

what causes honey intolerance? isnt it easily tolerable?

A pollen allergy, intestinal irritation, SIBO? It’s the only food left that I still react to so it seems to be something unique to honey.

P

pineywoodrooter

I have serious doubts about the "safety" of pasteurized, and especially ultra pasteurized milk, even if it's grass fed, regardless of what Ray Peat says.

Raw milk is superfood, no doubt.

Rinse, do you remember what started you down the supplement path? And were either of your parents into diet and/or fitness?

Hopefully, this isn’t too off topic, but I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t interested in health and nutrition, and I grew up surrounded by the weight conscious. I mean, just look at this photo of me as a child:

View attachment 38346

The title on the book reads Thin Thighs in 30 Days. That’s so messed up! lol As far as I’m concerned, babies should not be reading diet books. Babies (and I’d argue, adults too ;)) should be doing this:

View attachment 38348

Peaty or not, that right there in my pudgy little hands is soul food. Will it cure every disease known to man, I don’t know, but what I do know is that the more I let go of theories and just eat what I truly enjoy, the more tolerant and robust my body becomes. Everyone’s mileage varies, but I do think many develop intolerances making too many decisions from the mind and not enough from the heart.

Well first of all those aren’t pudgy little hands! You looked like a healthy child. And what the heck is thin thighs book about, for a child really?!!

I would say that when my mom and dad were married the first years of my life my dad dove for lobster and abalone, he made liver once a week, made his own homemade ice cream and yogurt, and he gave us brewer’s yeast with with raw honey in it everyday. We were beautiful children and scored above average in every subject. He took us outdoors miost days for lots at vitamin D activities, then they divorced. My mom did none of those things. We ate canned soup, lots of cereal and hamburger and Tuna Helper. I became severely underweight and had to take iron pills for a year. I can still remember passing out a lot from a sitting to standing position too quickly, and having sever leg and foot pain that the doctor called growing pains, it was brutal. In my teen years my mom married a guy that’s hunted most of our meat, deer, quail, frog legs, and he butchered our chickens, rabbits and pigs and I was having none of it, so I just drank milk all day long. My mom did start trying to pinch my leg to see if she could find cellulite to make herself feel better, which may have started something mental about not wanting to be fat, but I was always underweight and not realizing it, eating more than everyone else, but I didn’t have any issues and I lived on mostly milk through my 20’s.

Thinking to your question now, I would say when I started fish oil and calcium suppliments, in my middle 30’s, and cut out a lot of my usual milk, was when I think it went south. My skin looked great from the fish oil , but I mistakenly took that as a good sign. So I started having bad reactions to lots of things. It wasn’t until finding Ray Peat six or so years ago and cutting out the fish oil and all the other supplements I had added over the years, and getting off the Claratin, and using coffee and sugar as an anti-histamine instead, did things get better. This past year cutting out all the supplements made things really get good, and I don’t feel I could be any healthier.

Thanks for sharing the childhood pics, I enjoyed that. You are always keeping things interesting and “real” on the forum. Here is one of mine. We were having fun with our new “Magic 8 Ball” :)

Attachments

• C2EC24CB-0269-4A70-BE68-06617B7E1241.jpeg
    C2EC24CB-0269-4A70-BE68-06617B7E1241.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 14

Dr. B

Well first of all those aren’t pudgy little hands! You looked like a healthy child. And what the heck is thin thighs book about, for a child really?!!

I would say that when my mom and dad were married the first years of my life my dad dove for lobster and abalone, he made liver once a week, made his own homemade ice cream and yogurt, and he gave us brewer’s yeast with with raw honey in it everyday. We were beautiful children and scored above average in every subject. He took us outdoors miost days for lots at vitamin D activities, then they divorced. My mom did none of those things. We ate canned soup, lots of cereal and hamburger and Tuna Helper. I became severely underweight and had to take iron pills for a year. I can still remember passing out a lot from a sitting to standing position too quickly, and having sever leg and foot pain that the doctor called growing pains, it was brutal. In my teen years my mom married a guy that’s hunted most of our meat, deer, quail, frog legs, and he butchered our chickens, rabbits and pigs and I was having none of it, so I just drank milk all day long. My mom did start trying to pinch my leg to see if she could find cellulite to make herself feel better, which may have started something mental about not wanting to be fat, but I was always underweight and not realizing it, eating more than everyone else, but I didn’t have any issues and I lived on mostly milk through my 20’s.

Thinking to your question now, I would say when I started fish oil and calcium suppliments, in my middle 30’s, and cut out a lot of my usual milk, was when I think it went south. My skin looked great from the fish oil , but I mistakenly took that as a good sign. So I started having bad reactions to lots of things. It wasn’t until finding Ray Peat six or so years ago and cutting out the fish oil and all the other supplements I had added over the years, and getting off the Claratin, and using coffee and sugar as an anti-histamine instead, did things get better. This past year cutting out all the supplements made things really get good, and I don’t feel I could be any healthier.

Thanks for sharing the childhood pics, I enjoyed that. You are always keeping things interesting and “real” on the forum. Here is one of mine. We were having fun with our new “Magic 8 Ball” :)
whats your diet now at your healthiest point? and supplements regimen?

-Luke-

@Jennifer and @Rinse & rePeat
I am glad that you girls were already very health conscious at that age. Here is little Luke getting his daily amount of endocrine disruptors:

IMG_0976.JPG

Jennifer

No, they were definitely pudgy, but in a good way. I had that healthy layer of baby fat to support my future growth spurts. You wouldn’t know it by looking at me now, but I was the second tallest girl in my class until my early teens. I was all limbs.

Thank you for sharing some of your life while growing up. I’m sorry you had that experience with your mom, but I’m glad the time with your dad was a healthy one. My mum fed my brother and I well, and never put us on diets or anything, but she herself had been dieting since early childhood and not that this sport is inherently unhealthy but my dad was into bodybuilding so I was surrounded by the body conscious. It was even a focus of my grandmother’s. She was always tiny but after she had my dad, she joined Weight Watchers and was still in the habit of counting points in her 90s. The thin thighs book was my mum’s, and she clearly didn’t think a child would be affected by something so seemingly benign because she would never have exposed me to anything she thought was harmful, however, things that seem benign, or even healthy, may be anything but that, and I think children are sponges—incredibly empathic and perceptive—but don’t have enough life experience to fully discern what they’re feeling and perceiving. I mean, how many children have blamed themselves for a parent’s unhappiness? I’ll just say that my mum wasn’t dieting because she loved herself and wanted to be healthy, and I wasn’t strict with eating clean because I felt safe and secure in life.

@Jennifer and @Rinse & rePeat
I am glad that you girls were already very health conscious at that age. Here is little Luke getting his daily amount of endocrine disruptors:

View attachment 38382

Were you watering yourself so you would grow? And did it work? Hehe.

Last edited:
No, they were definitely pudgy, but in a good way. I had that healthy layer of baby fat to support my future growth spurts. You wouldn’t know it by looking at me now, but I was the second tallest girl in my class until my early teens. I was all limbs.

Thank you for sharing some of your life while growing up. I’m sorry you had that experience with your mom, but I’m glad the time with your dad was a healthy one. My mum fed my brother and I well, and never put us on diets or anything, but she herself had been dieting since early childhood and not that this sport is inherently unhealthy but my dad was into bodybuilding so I was surrounded by the body conscious. It was even a focus of my grandmother’s. She was always tiny but after she had my dad, she joined Weight Watchers and was still in the habit of counting points in her 90s. The thin thighs book was my mum’s, and she clearly didn’t think a child would be affected by something so seemingly benign because she would never have exposed me to anything she thought was harmful but things that seem benign, or even healthy, may be anything but that, and I think children are sponges—incredibly empathic and perceptive—but don’t have enough life experience to fully discern what they’re feeling and perceiving. I mean, how many children have blamed themselves for a parent’s unhappiness? I’ll just say that my mum wasn’t dieting because she loved herself and wanted to be healthy, and I wasn’t strict with eating clean because I felt safe and secure in life.
My dad was a professional high diver and a fantastic gymnast, and my mom was into modeling so I got the same mix of both you gotl with the parents. There we go being the same again!

Jennifer

My dad was a professional high diver and a fantastic gymnast, and my mom was into modeling so I got the same mix of both you gotl with the parents. There we go being the same again!
Oh, how cool! My dad is a musician--had music on broadway and is still composing and playing gigs--and my mum was an artist.

-Luke-

Were you watering yourself so you would grow? And did it work? Hehe.
Fairly well. A childhood friend is 6'6 or 6'7 now. There is this quark/curd dish for children called "Fruchtzwerge" (could be translated as fruit dwarfs) here and on TV they always advertised that children grow from it. This friend always joked that he smoked those as a kid, lol.

whats your diet now at your healthiest point? and supplements regimen?
Right now is my healthiest point, and the only supplement I take, is recently, MSM crystals, in the morning, on an empty stomach, a half hour before my coffee. This is just a recent thing though. I take a smaller dose than recommended every other day. I am trying to keep this nasty burn from scarring! I posted my current diet today on my More Weight Loss thread, as somebody there asked the same question too.

Attachments

• FA165902-1942-49B6-8FD7-D2F53E651B8A.jpeg
    FA165902-1942-49B6-8FD7-D2F53E651B8A.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 1E8BF21E-7C5C-42B9-8D7E-D0014185AFB6.jpeg
    1E8BF21E-7C5C-42B9-8D7E-D0014185AFB6.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 17
  • D1573733-56FD-4428-B301-6B3E89D05396.jpeg
    D1573733-56FD-4428-B301-6B3E89D05396.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 18
  • F9AFE615-4266-4A20-81F9-82DA6AE44A79.jpeg
    F9AFE615-4266-4A20-81F9-82DA6AE44A79.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 18

Jennifer

Fairly well. A childhood friend is 6'6 or 6'7 now. There is this quark/curd dish for children called "Fruchtzwerge" (could be translated as fruit dwarfs) here and on TV they always advertised that children grow from it. This friend always joked that he smoked those as a kid, lol.
Smoked, huh? I’m thinking I was mistaken and that’s not a watering can in your baby photo? Or is this like the Rorschach Inkblot test--you see a smoking Luke in the photo and I see a drinking Luke?

No wonder you write so well!

Oh, thank you! :shame:

Right now is my healthiest point, and the only supplement I take, is recently, MSM crystals, in the morning, on an empty stomach, a half hour before my coffee. This is just a recent thing though. I take a smaller dose than recommended every other day. I am trying to keep this nasty burn from scarring! I posted my current diet today on my More Weight Loss thread, as somebody there asked the same question too.

Yikes! Have you tried applying honey and keeping it covered? I recall seeing studies where sugar and honey helped with wound healing and I wonder if by keeping it covered, you trap CO2 to prevent scarring, sort of like simulating the womb environment?

Sevaan

I've averaged between 2 to 4 liters of milk since June of 2020. Currently, I’m averaging 3 liters.

I'm wondering if you drink water, since you consume 3L of milk daily.

Also, do you drink any other liquid foods (e.g. fruit juice)?

Thank you!

Jennifer

@Sevaan, I don’t drink any plain water, but I have a small cup of apple sugar sweetened tisane with my meals (about half a liter total). I stopped drinking juice when I reduced my carbs and increased my fats so my only other sources of water now are the 3 L of milk and the small amount of whole fruit I eat.

Sevaan

@Jennifer // Thank you!

Besides milk, what are your other main sources of calories?

I've also been drinking more milk (and consequently eating less beef). Hence my interest in your "formula".