Milk enabled massive steppe migration

Lollipop2

Fascinating...

The long-distance migrations of early Bronze Age pastoralists in the Eurasian steppe have captured widespread interest. But the factors behind their remarkable spread have been heavily debated by archaeologists. Now a new study provides clues regarding a critical component of the herders' lifestyle that was likely instrumental to their success: dairying.

Vileplume

Fascinating...

The long-distance migrations of early Bronze Age pastoralists in the Eurasian steppe have captured widespread interest. But the factors behind their remarkable spread have been heavily debated by archaeologists. Now a new study provides clues regarding a critical component of the herders' lifestyle that was likely instrumental to their success: dairying.

Cool, thanks for posting.

Milk, and its stress-lowering, metabolism-boosting effects, takes you out of fear-based complacency and moves you toward adventurous, ambitious action.

Samya

I've often thought that milk must have been instrumental in migration as we would have needed strong animals to carry our loads and to provide food. I don't think eating their meat and carrying huge amounts of grain could account for the amounts of energy needed.

OP
L

Lollipop2

I've often thought that milk must have been instrumental in migration as we would have needed strong animals to carry our loads and to provide food. I don't think eating their meat and carrying huge amounts of grain could account for the amounts of energy needed.
I agree. There is so much in Indian traditional literature about milk and ghee. It was revered and permeated throughout the culture.

skuabird

I didn't know dairying was a word haha
Thanks for sharing- I've been thinking a lot about the Mongol's diet lately...

OP
L

Lollipop2

Good thread @Lollipop2 . Thanks for sharing
I find it fascinating and I am glad you like it. I am going to see if any more research about dairy’s role in shaping culture and health even as far back as early Homo Sapien or maybe even Neanderthal.

OP
L

Lollipop2

Here is one interesting article about milk and evolution:

“The evolutionary forces that split humans from Neanderthals hundreds of thousands of years ago didn’t go away after the break. Mark Thomas, of University College, London, presented evidence about one of the strongest forces that has driven human evolution in Europe over the past 20,000 years: milk.”

OP
L

Lollipop2

Now this is interesting. Apparently Neanderthal’s were lactose intolerant:

VitoScaletta

Now this is interesting. Apparently Neanderthal’s were lactose intolerant:

Well Mongols are also largely lactose intolerant but they are able to consume milk products just fine

Herbie

I wonder what would've happened if they had soymilk instead.
They wouldn't have gone anywhere because they would have had to stay to tend to the soy crops and carry out the labour to produce the milk.

It's because the cow can walk with the humans and makes and hold its milk without it spoiling that humans could migrate.

Samya

I've started drinking more milk recently and noticed when I go hiking on the weekends the energy I have is remarkable, where I would usually start feeling tired on common routes I can just keep going now. I really feel it's due to the milk and it made me think of this thread.

I've also had a scar on my hand for a few months from where a knife slipped in the kitchen, it was healing quite slowly but since I started drinking a decent amount of milk it's been healing a lot quicker.

OP
L

Lollipop2

I've started drinking more milk recently and noticed when I go hiking on the weekends the energy I have is remarkable, where I would usually start feeling tired on common routes I can just keep going now. I really feel it's due to the milk and it made me think of this thread.

I've also had a scar on my hand for a few months from where a knife slipped in the kitchen, it was healing quite slowly but since I started drinking a decent amount of milk it's been healing a lot quicker.
For the win! Milk also is like perfect food for me and gives a lot of energy!! I however drink non homogenized whole milk from Amish and Mennonite farms. Yummmmy…

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom