"Milk, cheese, and eggs are better proteins, anyway..."

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ray Peat said:
"But the juices from inside quick cooked meat inactivate those toxins; the inside should be pink. Milk, cheese, and eggs are better proteins, anyway, because of the better calcium/phosphate ratio."

This was a in the email depository and I would like to discuss it.

I usually get a 1/4 cow of grass fed beef every year around spring. However, due to lack of funds, and also seeing this quote above. I am thinking of maybe not getting it this year and sticking with more milk, eggs, shellfish and cheese.

Do any of you see any reason as to why we would need to eat beef? Is there any nutrients in there we need? To me, from what Peat says, we would be healthier by not eating beef.

J

j.

It depends on the cuts I think. Liver, shanks are good I believe. I also eat tongue, but for the taste.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Well of course I would still eat liver.

Seems you have to cook stuff like shanks for a long time and Ray Peat is definitely not fond of that. If anything, meats should only be slightly cooked.

I am just wondering if I might be possibly better off concentrating on getting my proteins from milk, cheese and eggs, also gelatin too of course.

J

j.

Charlie said:
I am just wondering if I might be possibly better off concentrating on getting my proteins from milk, cheese and eggs, also gelatin too of course.

I believe the answer is yes. As I said, part of why I eat beef is the taste. I forgot to mention ribs. I eat that too.

Dean

Yeah..the meat thing with Dr. Peat still has me a bit confused. My feeling is that if you can't afford grass-fed red meat, you should just forgo meat all together and put that extra money into finding and spending on grass-fed dairy.

Though I'm still confused about whether if you eat a low tryptophan diet (i.e.-no meat) to lessen serotonin, are you also going to end up lowering dopamine.

Nici

I think I have been getting a little carried away with how much cheese I am eating to fruit. Could someone give me an idea of how much cheese to eat in a meal or an example of what they are eating?

Thanks heaps :)

cliff

Nici said:
I think I have been getting a little carried away with how much cheese I am eating to fruit. Could someone give me an idea of how much cheese to eat in a meal or an example of what they are eating?

Thanks heaps :)

It depends on the person but 2oz of cheese and 2cup of OJ will give you about 17g protein, 55g carbs and 16g fat which is pretty good.

pboy

the truth is beef, pork, and poultry are all completely unnecessary and theres actually never any justifiable
reason to eat them for any reason...they aren't even real animals, they're basically albino mutant commodities
that are terrible for the economy, ecology, and people's well being in general.

Eggs(ideally from duck, turkey, or a real animal) and Wild Seafood/Shellfish are really the only animal products that are ever necessary...Dairy too if you need it for calcium but even that can be obtained from other sources.

Dean

pboy said:
the truth is beef, pork, and poultry are all completely unnecessary and theres actually never any justifiable
reason to eat them for any reason...they aren't even real animals, they're basically albino mutant commodities
that are terrible for the economy, ecology, and people's well being in general.

Eggs(ideally from duck, turkey, or a real animal) and Wild Seafood/Shellfish are really the only animal products that are ever necessary...Dairy too if you need it for calcium but even that can be obtained from other sources.

I tend to agree with your line of thinking. Of the most avaiable meats, I think lamb and goat (non grain-fed) are the best options. I believe this is also true from a present day ecological and environmental perspective. I'm sure that would be the case in terms of where to ideally get your dairy from.

The sad truth is that you really can say the same thing about fruit. What stands for fruit now has very little resemblence to actual, original fruit. I think that has alot of reason to do with the preponderence of obscure fruits on Dr. Peat's safe fruit list. Many of them I'm sure haven't been tested to see if they fit in to the nutritional profile Dr. Peat would look prefer and recommend, but at least they haven't been hybridized/bastardized.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Can't believe I am actually considering giving up beef. :confused

sctb

Charlie said:
Can't believe I am actually considering giving up beef. :confused

You could forgo the 1/4 beef and periodically buy some shanks and oxtail
along with the liver. That seems like an inexpensive and tasty way to go.
I have a great local grass-fed source where I'm at now, but I'll be spending
some time away from home soon so I might be doing a similar experiment
as you, Charlie!

- Scott

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Scott, I was actually thinking of doing something like that. Thanks!

For the life of me, I don't know what a shank is. And I do not ever remember getting one in my 1/4 cow. Maybe they called it something else. I am heading down to the local grass fed place in the next couple days and will check out their shanks. I just checked their website and they run $6 a pound.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
J, thanks! So yeh, I do not think I ever ate a shank. Weird.

Gonna pick up a couple when I hit the local farm. :rockout

kettlebell

I tend to have meat on the bone these days so a good protein profile. The meat itself has plenty of minerals, especially Zinc and I love steak so once a week I will have one. I just mitigate with Gelatin, coca cola, calcium etc and I can't see it being a problem.

Charlie, Lamb shanks are the tastiest thing on the planet. Crock pot them with lots of root veg 1/2 a bottle of red wine and some good stock for 8-10 hours and you are good to go. I know thats not "Strictly" Peat but who gives a s**t when it tastes that good.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
kettlebell said:
Charlie, Lamb shanks are the tastiest thing on the planet. Crock pot them with lots of root veg 1/2 a bottle of red wine and some good stock for 8-10 hours and you are good to go. I know thats not "Strictly" Peat but who gives a s**t when it tastes that good.

:lol: Might actually try that out. Thanks KB!

narouz

The weird things about beef shanks to me are:
1. most chefs say not to cook the meat a long time, like a roast (or long crockpot @kettlebell).
2. Peaty people buy them because it seems like a way to get some collagen/gelatin
along with their meat, but if you only cook the meat for an hour or an hour&a half, then there's
not gonna be a lot of collagen/gelatin in there.
3. if you do go ahead and cook the whole shank in a stew/liquid/crockpot method
for over 3 hours, according to Peat (supposedly) you've degraded the protein.

The same goes for oxtails.
Now, oxtails have a lot of collagen/gelatin and not much bone.
So...if you cooked those in a stew/liquid for less than 3 hours
I am willing to believe you'd get some considerable gelatin.
It still might be that the meat portion would be overcooked then:
I'm not sure how long good chefs with their eye mainly to taste would say to cook the meat of oxtails.

This whole putatively Peat ordained 3 hour cooking limit has bedeviled me for a long time.
I'd have to think that the gelatin many of us eat from Great Lakes
has been produced through methods beyond such a 3 hour cooking.

gretchen

I've eaten very little beef the last 6 months except for a few servings with jello. I don't miss it.