Milk CAUSING Insomnia

jaywills

Is this a known problem among milk consumption? Has any other forum member experienced this or can explain the mechanism behind? Potential serotonin-pathway problem?

I have tested and analysed my sleeping patterns and with more milk brings less sleep; my brain races and I am wide awake at night. I just cannot fall to sleep regardless of pre-bed rituals i.e. salt, sugar etc.

Below study, albeit a terrible study, is all I could find on the matter.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4069856

jyb

If you were milk near bedtime, then metabolism is lower so protein like tryptophane might be converting to serotonin. The lower metabolism is regardless of calcium, at night things slow and temps drop. Serum tryptophan is elevated on high carb meals, which might be the case if adding sucrose to a large amount of milk. Another problem could be slow digestion at night and having a ball of protein sitting in the stomach poorly digesting. I have my protein before sunset to avoid this problem which is not specific to milk.

OP
J

jaywills

Thanks jyb. This would make sense regarding when i have been drinking the milk later in the day but i do not think it factors in early day drinking. Is there a way to reduce the conversion to serotonin i.e. supplements or meal combos, cerain milks (i.e skim, semi skim, full fat) etc?

I will implement the protein suggestion as i think this would be incredibly valuable regardless

jyb

Proteins like those in gelatin competes with tryptophan to enter the brain. But I am never sure how reliable this is, because serotonin doesn't come from the brain only and also it assumes all proteins are digested and competing at the same time. For me the best is just dairy/meat protein earlier in the day and never in large quantities at once, but I don't limit the fattier and less proteinated dairy products at night.

tara

Maybe you have a personal intolerance or allergy?

OP
J

jaywills

Ok I think i will begin consuming my protein earlier in the day. Surprisingly, i actually find protein more satisfying and I enjoy it more earlier in the day, and feel this is the best time to consume it. Not sure on the mechanism at play here but it almost falls in line with the 'listen to your body' signal approach.

Interestingly Tara, I find when i increase milk and displace other foods to incorporate it, I run into issues. I seem to handle it fine (no bloating, sinus blockage) but insomnia is related. I must be intolerant i.e the insomnia but i cannot understand why.

when consuming cottage cheese, Greek strained yogurt, i do not seem to run into the insomnia problem.

Peculiar, but i guess there is no need to force milk consumption. I will supplement with calcium instead.

OP
J

jaywills

Tara, actually i think you are right it is an intolerance. My tongue gained a thick white coating (suggesting indigestion) whilst consuming the milk and i raised my intake to around 2L from 500mls. Since dropping milk intake last few days, sleep has returned, white coated tongue has remarkably improved.

James_001

jaywills said:
post 83104 Tara, actually i think you are right it is an intolerance. My tongue gained a thick white coating (suggesting indigestion) whilst consuming the milk and i raised my intake to around 2L from 500mls. Since dropping milk intake last few days, sleep has returned, white coated tongue has remarkably improved.

How much did you drop your milk intake to?

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsuomi

Dairy allergy will cause insomnia it not more complicated than that.
Just avoid dairy.

jitsmonkey

protein requires fuel
no need to eat it earlier in the day just have enough fuel with it to make it a non issue.
some people do fine with 1:1 protein:carb some need as much as 5:1
simply test adding a little sugar, chocolate syrup, maple syrup, honey, etc
to your milk to change the protein: carb ratio.
you'll need to test 1:2, 1:3, etc and see how you do.
if you do this and change NOTHING else and your sleep is improved you have your answer.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals