milk and lactose free milk seem to make me gassy?

yoshiesque

i been experimenting with 4 cups of milk a day, and i typically do half a cup milk in morning and another half at night. but i drink full cups of lactose free milk during the day.

it doesnt matter which one i drink, they all seem to make me gassy and it smells pretty bad too.

so just wondering, is this lactose intolerance? it cant be considering im also having same reaction to lactose free milk. both milk is skim milk btw.

LucyL

Have you tried adding sugar to the milk? I used to always have problems with milk, but when I started adding sugar it didn't bother me at all.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

Yeah i actually drink all glasses of milk with sugar. I use around 2-3 teaspoons of raw sugar or cane sugar. I also add salt.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It took me awhile to tolerate milk. I'm not sure how long you have been drinking it again but I had a few set backs on my journey with milk. I'll just tell you a little about the experience in case it might help. I'm sure everyone is slightly different so listening to our body seems important.
I was never a milk drinker even as a child. So when I discovered Peat in my 40's I had several decades of minimal to zero milk intake behind me. At first I tried a local, organic, full fat, grass fed milk and added small amounts to coffee. After consulting with a Peat practitioner I began to have a 1/4-1/2 cup milk with meals and gradually increased that amount over several weeks. All went well until I attempted to switch to a lower fat, organic, supermarket brand of milk which resulted in diarrhea. I went back to the original milk and things were fine. Last winter during a snow storm that basically shut down my community for several days I had some ordinary commercial milk that a family member drinks and did fine for a couple days. On the third day my body seemed to totally reject that milk but fortunately the weather improved and I was able to get my favorite milk again. It took a good 6 months before I was finally able to tolerate lower fat milk and the only thing I can figure is that my metabolism was so shot that the added vitamins were wreaking havoc on my gut. I tried every milk variation imaginable and after a few days I would always return to the original milk which had no added vitamins. I can't prove it was the added vitamins but it seemed to be in my case. I've been having milk with added vitamins now for about 8 months and doing well but for the first 6 months they really did not agree with me.
I guess if you've tried everything else you could see if you are able to find a milk without added vitamins. If you are in the U.S. vitamins A and D are added by law to any reduced fat milk. You may be able to find whole milk WITHOUT added vitamins but it takes some searching. This is just what helped me initially and it may or may not be the same for you but I thought I'd mention it.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

Thanks for the response, I did notice while I was in America that many of your milk products contain Vitamin A & D. FOr some reason Australia doesnt have that requirement, so none of our milks really have it. My lactose free milk is literally just milk and lactase (the enzyme to help with lactose intolerance).

I guess I will try different milks but im worried i might have SIBO.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Sorry that didn't help. Some report doing better with the various types of pasteurization processes. I personally can't do UHT for example but other prefer that type. I ate more cheese at first until I could tolerate more affordable milk. The original one I could tolerate was about 4-5 times more expensive that plain organic. Best of luck in your experimentation.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

hhm the weird thing is sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. I drank a cup of milk today with no real issues. So i dont know.

My doctor did say my IBS is most likely mind induced (from chronic stress) and that there is no real food that i can/cant eat. I was suggested to see a hypnotherapist (apparently its a new trend for IBS and has a 90% success right) to get it sorted. i might just do that to be sure.

Lin

For what it's worth, before I found Peat, I was having a lot of gas and general digestive problems. I did a consult with a nutritionist, who told me that if you have gluten sensitivity, it can damage the part of the intestine that digests milk protein. She recommended eliminating gluten and milk for 6 months to allow healing. It worked. I drink a lot of milk now with no problems. :2cents