Milk and calcium for fat loss and health

juanitacarlos

This is from East West Healing interview Milk, Calcium, Hormones (starts around 56 mins):

"One of the reasons a lot of people give, if they have overcome the idea that milk forms mucous, or is a risk for diseases and so on; one of their arguments is that it makes them fat. But, all the research on animals, and as far as it goes, human research, shows that milk is probably the best reducing foods there is. The mechanisms for that are now known. Not only the anti-stress effects of casein, and a good balance of saturated fats and so on, but the calcium alone is very important metabolic regulator, that it happens to inhibit the fat-forming enzymes fatty acid synthase, and incidentally that's a characteristic enzyme that goes wild in cancer. But calcium and milk inhibit that fatty acid synthase, reducing the formation of fats and at the same time it activates the uncoupling proteins in the mitochondria, which are associated with increased longevity. Because they, by increasing the metabolic rate, the uncoupling proteins burn calories faster but they protect against free-radical oxidation. That they pull the fuel through the oxidation process so fast in effect, that none of it goes astray in random oxidation, where if you inhibit your energy producing enzymes you tend to get random, stray oxidation that damage the mitochondria. So the uncoupling proteins burn calories faster, at the same time that your reducing fat synthesis and milk is, as far as I know, they only food does both of those things simultaneously". Ray Peat.

Brilliant!

AmandaWald

Back in the old Low-Carb High-Fat days - oh those adrenaline highs! - I remember reading some stuff about farmers giving their livestock - pigs? - skimmed milk because it made them fat.

Was this just a low-carb innnnnnernet myth?

As far as I know, hog farmers luuuuurve soy because that really DOES make hogs fat, but where did the skimmed milk thing come from? Anyone know?

And I remember reading that you shouldn't drink skimmed milk because you wouldn't be able to utilize the calcium without the fat.

Are these just low-carb myths?

J

j.

The ratio of saturated fats to pufa influences metabolism. If that was an important source of saturated fats for them, maybe it affected the SFA/PUFA ratio significantly.

Mittir

@AmandaWald
Milk fat is quite rich in Vitamin A and helps to increase metabolism.
Thyroid and vitamin A is needed to increase conversion
of cholesterol to Pregnenolon, Pregesterone, DHEA etc.
In this same interview RP mentioned that before pig farmers found soy and corn to
fatten up their animals they used whey protein to feed their pigs.
Whey was the waste product of cheese making. I think full fat milk would have been
more expensive.

HDD

AmandaWald said:
Back in the old Low-Carb High-Fat days - oh those adrenaline highs! - I remember reading some stuff about farmers giving their livestock - pigs? - skimmed milk because it made them fat.

Was this just a low-carb innnnnnernet myth?

As far as I know, hog farmers luuuuurve soy because that really DOES make hogs fat, but where did the skimmed milk thing come from? Anyone know?

And I remember reading that you shouldn't drink skimmed milk because you wouldn't be able to utilize the calcium without the fat.

Are these just low-carb myths?

I remember, it is in "Nourishing Traditions". Will try to find the blurb about it.

HDD

"Many other millions are drinking lowfat milk to avoid weight gain....Do you know how a farmer fattens his hogs? He feeds them skim milk.
William Campbell Douglass, MD "The Milk Book"

This quote is part of a couple of paragraphs from Sally Fallon's book, "Nourishing Traditions".

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Haagendazendiane said:
"Many other millions are drinking lowfat milk to avoid weight gain....Do you know how a farmer fattens his hogs? He feeds them skim milk.

This quote is part of a couple of paragraphs from Sally Fallon's book, "Nourishing Traditions".
Wonder if there is any truth to this. I have decided to go back to full fat milk to see if I notice a difference.

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

Charlie said:
Haagendazendiane said:

Wonder if there is any truth to this. I have decided to go back to full fat milk to see if I notice a difference.

How'd you go with this Charlie? I've been drinking 2% milk and losing weight. I drink about 1.5L per day (sometimes more) and I do believe it's the milk helping with the weight loss.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
ttramone said:
Charlie said:
Haagendazendiane said:

How'd you go with this Charlie? I've been drinking 2% milk and losing weight. I drink about 1.5L per day (sometimes more) and I do believe it's the milk helping with the weight loss.
I didn't stick with it long enough to notice a difference. So right now I am doing 1%. In the future if I decide to go back to whole milk I will report back my findings. I am very curious about this though and do plan on giving it another shot eventually.

Jenn

Whole milk will "fatten" a pig too. You have to be careful with terminology. Pigs are like us and need high quality protein to grow. You can have a 150 lb pig and it could be lean meat or fat or something in between. Skim, whey, whole milk will grow a pig and add fat if you feed them enough. Pigs will just keep eating. Soy is notorious for making really soft fat and is limited in the total ration because of this. Corn just adds fat, not muscle, but the fat will be firmer than soy fat. Feeding whole milk makes a nice firm fat that is in balance with the muscle.

Jenn

Personally, I lost the most amount of weight eating mostly berries and milk with added sugar and cream of tartar with a pinch of salt. The milk was from our own cow, so I would have to guess at the percentage...maybe 2 or 3%...we were sharing with the calf at the time. We ate Haagen Daz strawberry or coffee flavor if we had to "eat out".

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals