Mikhaila Peterson's Oral Fecal Microbiota Transplant Experiment

OP
A

animalcule

Did carnivore make you feel better overall while you were stricly abiding by it?

Nope. And I was a very ardent “believer” and did a strict beef and water version of it.

It was incredibly difficult for me to adjust to it (cravings, fatigue, cramps, diarrhea). When I did eventually “adjust,” I did experience an uptick in energy and less brain fog and depression. Then it all went to ***t, and I was plagued by nausea, acid reflux, gastroparesis, mood swings, intense irritability and anger. I stopped being able to eat most cuts of meat, as nothing was digesting well. I could barely stomach more fat (as everyone kept telling me to eat more of it) because of the nausea. I lost weight (which I considered a plus) but my gut was still pooching out and feeling distended after eating, even though I was eating only beef and water.

If carnivore had worked, I’d still be on it.

Jessie

I’d try to find a gastro willing to experiment with me and get me a sample from a stool bank, if I did it.

As for eliminating or reducing starches — I’ve already tried that. I’ve even gone full carnivore for months. I have been on the dietary elimination/tweaking train for years. It’s only made me more sensitive to foods than I was before. I want off it. I’m looking for a solution, not something to avoid/reduce symptoms.

FMT seems promising, more so than antibiotics and charcoal.
Have you tried betaine or ACV, they can improve digestion by increasing acid output. Low thyroid can also reduce stomach acid, resulting in poor digestion and food sensitivities. So something like Cynoplus or Cytomel may help as well. I think thiamine hcl before meals can also increase acid output, so there's several options to explore.

T

TheBeard

Nope. And I was a very ardent “believer” and did a strict beef and water version of it.

It was incredibly difficult for me to adjust to it (cravings, fatigue, cramps, diarrhea). When I did eventually “adjust,” I did experience an uptick in energy and less brain fog and depression. Then it all went to ***t, and I was plagued by nausea, acid reflux, gastroparesis, mood swings, intense irritability and anger. I stopped being able to eat most cuts of meat, as nothing was digesting well. I could barely stomach more fat (as everyone kept telling me to eat more of it) because of the nausea. I lost weight (which I considered a plus) but my gut was still pooching out and feeling distended after eating, even though I was eating only beef and water.

Such a bummer.
Carnivore doesn't really work for me either, I always said to myself "push a week longer, everything will fall into place", but it just doesn't.
The best I feel is when taking antibiotics and maintaining carbs somewhat high.

schultz

Such a bummer.
Carnivore doesn't really work for me either, I always said to myself "push a week longer, everything will fall into place", but it just doesn't.

So did you never experience that temporary high energy state that @animalcule experienced? That seems to be the pattern when I read about people's experience with it. Hard at first, then high energy for a while, then a crash.

Dobbler

Craigslist --> Are you a happy and healthy individual with 0 health issues, and between the age of 18 to 25? Im willing to buy a bag of your sh*t for 500 dollars. No sending, only pickup.

OP
A

animalcule

Craigslist --> Are you a happy and healthy individual with 0 health issues, and between the age of 18 to 25? Im willing to buy a bag of your sh*t for 500 dollars. No sending, only pickup.

hahahaha! XD

OP
A

animalcule

Such a bummer.

Yea that’s a problem in the “carnivore community” — this idea that you simply haven’t “adapted” yet, so just “eat more meat!” for a little while longer. I stuck around long enough to see the goalposts move from 30 days, to 60 days, to six months, to some guy claiming that it could a full YEAR to adapt properly. I had enough.

And again, if it had worked, I would have happily continued to eat just meat. But I was sick of punishing myself for no payoff.

I have often wanted to start some sort of thread on this forum, or even start a subreddit to collect carnivore diet fail stories.

T

TheBeard

So did you never experience that temporary high energy state that @animalcule experienced? That seems to be the pattern when I read about people's experience with it. Hard at first, then high energy for a while, then a crash.

What I experience is mental clarity, some physical relaxation, but the glycogen depletion makes my muscles look flat and I'm definitely weaker.
Also some apathy from the lack of carbs, no euphoria whatsoever.

gately

Yea that’s a problem in the “carnivore community” — this idea that you simply haven’t “adapted” yet, so just “eat more meat!” for a little while longer. I stuck around long enough to see the goalposts move from 30 days, to 60 days, to six months, to some guy claiming that it could a full YEAR to adapt properly. I had enough.

And again, if it had worked, I would have happily continued to eat just meat. But I was sick of punishing myself for no payoff.

I have often wanted to start some sort of thread on this forum, or even start a subreddit to collect carnivore diet fail stories.
I’d be happy to contribute my carnivore fail story and I think someone SHOULD start collecting them. Do it.

Peater Piper

The possibilities of what FMT can potentially help are mind boggling...autism...alzheimer's...
Agreed. Far, far more potential than antimicrobials and traditional probiotics, but not without risks. Everyone's own personal health may not respond in the same way to someone else's microbiome. It's a treatment I'd reserve for when more conventional treatments have failed.

OP
A

animalcule

I’d be happy to contribute my carnivore fail story and I think someone SHOULD start collecting them. Do it.

I just created a subreddit called r/iquitcarnivore. I've never made one before so I'm still trying to figure out how to add more descriptive info in the sidebar. But I'd really appreciate it if you'd add your story there!

I'm going to work on typing up my experience tonight or tomorrow. I'll also start a thread on this forum to collect carnivore diet fail stories (I've seen a few people on here so far who quit the diet), and hopefully I can encourage them to paste their response on the subreddit as well. The r/zerocarb subreddit is pretty sizeable, so I think these stories will have more of an impact if we post them to reddit, and somehow get some of the struggling zerocarbers to stumble onto r/iquitcarnivore.

gately

I just created a subreddit called r/iquitcarnivore. I've never made one before so I'm still trying to figure out how to add more descriptive info in the sidebar. But I'd really appreciate it if you'd add your story there!

I'm going to work on typing up my experience tonight or tomorrow. I'll also start a thread on this forum to collect carnivore diet fail stories (I've seen a few people on here so far who quit the diet), and hopefully I can encourage them to paste their response on the subreddit as well. The r/zerocarb subreddit is pretty sizeable, so I think these stories will have more of an impact if we post them to reddit, and somehow get some of the struggling zerocarbers to stumble onto r/iquitcarnivore.

I’ll add my story later. Good on you. The Low-carb and zerocarb related subreddits are insanely militant and will 100% delete and ban you from posting anything denigrating their WOE, btw.

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States

Carnivore and paleo both operate under a more or less subconscious assumption that the gathering component of hunting and gathering constituted an incidental source of nutrients rather than a major and essential part of the diet. You see groups in Africa and Nepal that get between 15 and 70 % of their calories from honey ALONE without considering other carbs and the Hadza in Africa for example have the chiseled, lean physique of early-contact aborigines. However as late as a decade ago you saw scientists peddling nonsense like "cavemen only got the equivelant of a pound of sugar a year" and other nonsense that helped start the paleo and carnivore fads. It's kind of tragic just how often you see people eating diets that would be very healthy if they JUST ate some sugar every now and again

Blossom

Forum Supporter

I’m downloading the reddit app now just for this!

OP
A

animalcule

I’ll add my story later. Good on you. The Low-carb and zerocarb related subreddits are insanely militant and will 100% delete and ban you from posting anything denigrating their WOE, btw.

oh yes, I know how militant they are lol... all the more reason to make a subreddit to counter them! I think enough people will try and then fall away from carnivore diet that once the sub gets a little traction, there will be a decent supply of anecdotes. Of course, zerocarb will just claim they’re all liars or they did it wrong, oh well..

OP
A

animalcule

I’m downloading the reddit app now just for this!

Yes! Thank you! Please add your story!

The subreddit looks a little rough now, but I haven’t had time to customize it and add more info. I will soon though.

OP
A

animalcule

Carnivore and paleo both operate under a more or less subconscious assumption that the gathering component of hunting and gathering constituted an incidental source of nutrients rather than a major and essential part of the diet. You see groups in Africa and Nepal that get between 15 and 70 % of their calories from honey ALONE without considering other carbs and the Hadza in Africa for example have the chiseled, lean physique of early-contact aborigines. However as late as a decade ago you saw scientists peddling nonsense like "cavemen only got the equivelant of a pound of sugar a year" and other nonsense that helped start the paleo and carnivore fads. It's kind of tragic just how often you see people eating diets that would be very healthy if they JUST ate some sugar every now and again

Yea, the mythology surrounding Paleo/carnivore tends to ignore a lot of evidence that doesn’t support their view of hunter gatherers. I personally know I don’t know enough about the actual history to make any claims, I just know what the general narrative is in those communities. Very interesting info about the honey.

OP
A

animalcule

I should also say that I’ve had good experiences just direct messaging people who post to r/zerocarb who are clearly struggling on the diet. Now I can direct message them and point them to r/iquitcarnivore, once that’s up and running. Sometimes all it takes is to see that there are people out there who question carnivore/zerocarb not bc they are ignorant/vegans/whatever, but because they tried it and it didn’t work.

gately

I should also say that I’ve had good experiences just direct messaging people who post to r/zerocarb who are clearly struggling on the diet. Now I can direct message them and point them to r/iquitcarnivore, once that’s up and running. Sometimes all it takes is to see that there are people out there who question carnivore/zerocarb not bc they are ignorant/vegans/whatever, but because they tried it and it didn’t work.
I've DM'd my fair share of people who quit the diet as well. I'll be sure to message them.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes! Thank you! Please add your story!

The subreddit looks a little rough now, but I haven’t had time to customize it and add more info. I will soon though.
My huge failure was on very low carb paleo because I ate excessive amounts of spinach and nuts. I’m currently meat based (15 months) and doing well but I’m staying watchful because of knowledge gleaned from Peat. I have used ideas from Peat like eggshell calcium, take certain supplements if I feel I need them, salt of course and eat honey especially when working out. I still want to be part of the group and promise I won’t promote carnivore. It’s mainly been an elimination/healing protocol for me. I’m staying open minded and have no desire to get caught up in anything dogmatic when it comes to how people choose to eat.

Back
Top Bottom