Might Be Forced Into High Iron Intake Abroad, Just How Bad Is This?

JustAGuy

Hello,

I am going to have to go abroad for quite a while (half year) to Asia (Taiwan) starting next week.
After experimenting for years I found out I need to adhere to a high carb, moderate protein, low fat dietary regimen to feel good (otherwise I get tons of low blood sugar symptoms and just feel/preform bad).

After researching online it seems in this country these days (in the cities atleast where I will be), they consume tons of fried/high-fat foods basically, it seems to be difficult to come by simple foods that do not contain a lot of added oil/are not baked/fried etc. I also will not have my own kitchen most likely, so I cannot cook at home and will be on the move a lot.

I have found out they sell imported breakfast cereals (such as Kelloggs) in certain supermarket. These would fit my criteria of being high carb low fat.
The only problem is they contain a lot of added iron, and if I am going to be getting 50%+ of my daily calories from these foods for such a long time I wonder what this will do for me in terms of health with such a high iron intake.

Any insight into this or ideas are greatly appreciated.

raypeatclips

Can you not eat rice based dishes, with steamed vegetables and meat? I'm sure you will be able to find at least one reasonable restaraunt.

For iron, donate blood before you go, drink coffee with every meal you have iron. But the amount of iron in cereal isn't going to end well if you're considering making it a serious calorie source.

OP
JustAGuy

JustAGuy

Can you not eat rice based dishes, with steamed vegetables and meat? I'm sure you will be able to find at least one reasonable restaraunt.

For iron, donate blood before you go, drink coffee with every meal you have iron. But the amount of iron in cereal isn't going to end well if you're considering making it a serious calorie source.
I actually thought they'd have lots of simple rice based foods aswell but apparantly they don't. They eat a very high meat based diet it seems, they fry lots of food. Also the supposed carb~ish meals there usually contain a ton of oils (PUFA) added through them. Like noodles isn't just noodles there but it's "soaked in PUFA"-noodles.
Just type in Google images "Taipei food" and you will see what I mean.

Joe C

Breakfast cereals are full of more crap than just the wrong form of iron... I'd avoid them.

I understand your apprehension - but it's quite a diverse place and I'm sure once you get there you'll find plenty of options. Fruit could be good - they're subtropical there so there's lots of amazing fruit. How have you been finding out about what's available? Using Google or do you know people there? You could try posting on efl forums - there are lots of english teachers there, amd they'd probably be able to tell you what's available from a western perspective. Or travel blogs.

Otherwise look for restaurants from othet cuisines? Surely there are plenty of Italian restaurants there, and at least with Japanese you could be more sure of getting just rice and veggies.

Probably the most difficult thing will be the language, so maybe have a few images saved on your phone.

When I travel, I take a few essential supplements - like activated charcoal, or digestive herbs. If you're worried about pufas, maybe vitamin e would be good, or some niacinamide.

Enjoy the experience!

tankasnowgod

I think "Iron Fortification" is really the worst form of ingested iron, as it has none of the natural plant or animal protections that you would get in normal iron rich foods, such as spinach or meat. As far as any cereals, if you really are going to resort to them.... check the labels. Outside of the US/UK/Canada, there is a pretty good chance that you can find some without any added iron. Even in the US, it's possible to find wheat and rice products that haven't been fortified. Beyond that..... check the amount of added iron. Total, far and away, is the worst offender when it comes to added iron. Special K is likely next. At least you could opt for cereals that have "less" added iron.