Microwaving Mushrooms Superior To Frying/Boiling

Effect of different cooking methods on nutritional value and antioxidant activity of cultivated mushrooms
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09637486.2016.1244662?scroll=top&needAccess=true&

Abstract
Influence of culinary treatments (boiling, microwaving, grilling, and deep frying) on proximate composition and antioxidant capacity of cultivated mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus, Lentinula edodes, Pleurotus ostreatus,and Pleurotus eryngii) was studied. Proximate composition was affected by the cooking method and the mushrooms species. Frying induced more severe losses in protein, ash, and carbohydrates content but increased the fat and energy. Boiling improved the total glucans content by enhancing the β-glucans fraction. A significant decrease was detected in the antioxidant activity especially after boiling and frying, while grilled and microwaved mushrooms reached higher values of antioxidant activity. Maillard reaction products could be partially responsible, as supported by the absorbance values measured at 420 nm. Since cooking techniques clearly influence the nutritional attributes of mushrooms, the proper selection of treatments is a key factor to prevent/reduce nutritional losses. Microwaving and grilling were established as the best processes to maintain the nutritional profile of mushrooms.

Microwave mushrooms 'to keep their goodness', scientists say - BBC News

milk_lover

Will microwaving them reduce the bad things in them that affect liver health as Peat suggested boiling them would? I am interested in this because it would make my life simple and I really hate carrots...

milk_lover

Yeah I meant the hydrazine. Well, it seems the odor that mushrooms create in my kitchen a hint that the hydrazine is being dumped out the mushrooms and into my kitchen air, right? Is that why my family, especially my mother, hate it when I boil the mushrooms. They can't stand the smell.. I am still confused what to make about this damn hydrazine. Is the hydrazine trapped in the water contained inside the mushroom? Maybe we can try to cut mushrooms in small pieces and burn them in the microwave or whatever until they shrink and their size reduction would indicate less water, thus less hydrazine? I asked Peat what he thinks about frying mushrooms right away after washing and if that would make them less harmful. He said, "Yes, when they are well heated their opacity changes to a slight translucence." So maybe all what need to good heating up and microwave seems to provide that. I am tempted to try the microwave method and see if their opacity changes..

paymanz

Agaritine (N-(gamma-L(+)-glutamyl)-4-hydroxymethyl-phenylhydrazine) was identified and quantified by high-pressure liquid chromatography and used as a marker for the occurrence of phenylhydrazine derivatives in the cultivated Agaricus bitorquis and A. garicus hortensis mushrooms. Although relatively high levels of agaritine (around 700 mg kg(-1)) could be found in freshly harvested A. bitorquis from early flushes, samples from supermarkets contained less agaritine. The content of 28 samples varied between 165 and 457 mg kg(-1), on average being 272 +/- 69 mg kg(-1). The highest amounts of agaritine were found in the skin of the cap and in the gills, the lowest being in the stem. There was no significant difference in agaritine content of the two mushroom species in our study. Pronounced reduction in agaritine content was observed during storage of mushrooms in the refrigerator or freezer, as well as during drying of the mushrooms. The degree of reduction was dependent on the length and condition of storage and was usually in the region 20-75%. No reduction in agaritine content was observed during freeze-drying. Depending on the cooking procedure, household processing of cultivated Agaricus mushrooms reduced the agaritine content to various degrees. Boiling extracted around 50% of the agaritine content into the cooking broth within 5min and degraded 20-25% of the original agaritine content of the mushrooms. Prolonged boiling, as when preparing a sauce, reduced the content in the solid mushroom further (around 10% left after 2h). Dry baking of the cultivated mushroom, a process similar to pizza baking, reduced the agaritine content by approximately 25%, whereas frying in oil or butter or deep frying resulted in a more marked reduction (35-70%). Microwave processing of the cultivated mushrooms reduced the agaritine content to one-third of the original level. Thus, the exposure to agaritine was substantially less when consuming processed Agaricus mushrooms as compared with consuming the raw mushrooms. However, it is not yet known to what extent agaritine and other phenylhydrazine derivatives occurring in the cultivated mushroom are degraded into other biologically active compounds during the cooking procedure.

Back
Top Bottom