Microdosing Mushrooms To Reduce Serotonin

MaxVerstappen

Does anyone know the effect of shrooms (Psilocybin mushroom) on serotonin?

Can microdosing shrooms be a good way to reduce serotonin?

Frankdee20

Does anyone know the effect of shrooms (Psilocybin mushroom) on serotonin?

Can microdosing shrooms be a good way to reduce serotonin?

All psychedelics agonize serotonin receptors, especially the 5ht2a receptor.. that’s the one believed to be responsible for the trip... some effect several serotonin receptors, and some effect adrenergic and dopamine receptors in addition, but they are all agonists to an extent of serotonin....

Frankdee20

Psilocybin converts to psilocin, and resembles serotonin in its structure. It activates 2A, 1A, and 2C....

golder

Is LSD the only real exception in terms of psychadelics which doesn't seem to agonise seratonin? I assume that's the reason why it seems to be one of the very few that Peat tends to speak favourably on?

Frankdee20

Is LSD the only real exception in terms of psychadelics which doesn't seem to agonise seratonin? I assume that's the reason why it seems to be one of the very few that Peat tends to speak favourably on?

The classic tryptamine indole psychedelics (LSD, DMT, Psilocybin, 5meoDMT) all agonize the 5ht2a receptor.... LSD is unique because it blocks some, and activates others... Even psychedelics related to phenylethylalamine (Mescaline, MDMA) activate 5ht2a and 1A..... But LSD is so unique because it works on many receptors

Beastmode

Didn't Ray say they can be good, but when you taking enough to hallucinate is a sign of serotonin increasing?

Frankdee20

Didn't Ray say they can be good, but when you taking enough to hallucinate is a sign of serotonin increasing?

What is interesting is that they think the psychedelic experience comes from agonist 2A activity..... Something they all share .... but pure agonism on that receptor doesn’t lead to hallucinations.... it’s the way they interact with it, LSD seems to get stuck inside that receptor, which is why it lasts 8-12 hours.... but LSD has a half life of only 3 hours.... so even after it cannot be detected, it is still stuck inside the 2A receptor

docall18

All psychedelics agonize serotonin receptors, especially the 5ht2a receptor.. that’s the one believed to be responsible for the trip... some effect several serotonin receptors, and some effect adrenergic and dopamine receptors in addition, but they are all agonists to an extent of serotonin....

Ray Peat says psychedelics are approximate serotonin antagonists.

I occasionally microdose lsd or mushrooms. They make me drowsy and reduce serotonin. I get very clear HD vision from serotonin antagonists.

Frankdee20

Ray Peat says psychedelics are approximate serotonin antagonists.

I occasionally microdose lsd or mushrooms. They make me drowsy and reduce serotonin. I get very clear HD vision from serotonin antagonists.

Only LSD as far as I know blocks some ... Maybe he meant they interfere with serotonin, since they have the same skeleton as Serotonin

TheSir

From what I understand, the weeks long afterglow after a psychedelic trip is very much the result of a low serotonin high dopamine state due to the trip having caused the brain to dump excess serotonin.

Goat-e

I wonder if the Psilocin does agonize serotonin receptors but somehow then desensitizes them for a long period afterwards (hence the afterglow). The come up on mushrooms certainly feels like serotonin, cold, agitated etc but once you're through that the trip itself feels very un-serotonin like, as do the weeks afterwards.

TheSir

I wonder if the Psilocin does agonize serotonin receptors but somehow then desensitizes them for a long period afterwards (hence the afterglow). The come up on mushrooms certainly feels like serotonin, cold, agitated etc but once you're through that the trip itself feels very un-serotonin like, as do the weeks afterwards.
That could be true. Either the serotonin is burned off/dumped, or the receptors become desensitized. In either case, the ultimate outcome definitely feels like a low-serotonin state.

Frankdee20

The afterglow is purported to also be the main therapeutic benefit of most psychedelics, as far as relief of alcoholism and ptsd and depression (which they have studied mushrooms for) ...

Goat-e

The afterglow is purported to also be the main therapeutic benefit of most psychedelics, as far as relief of alcoholism and ptsd and depression (which they have studied mushrooms for) ...

I can believe that, there can be a clarity in the afterglow period which makes big change possible. Mrs Goat quit a job with a psychopathic boss after dabbling with the shrooms.

Frankdee20

Does anyone have experience with 5-MeO DMT ?