Mexican Coke Is A Lie

michael94

That would explain why obesity is so prevalent in Mexico, they are not drinking what they think they are.

Not that any Coke drinker checks whether it's sugar or corn syrup on the ingredient list anyways except for the 0,000001% Peatarians.
I dont think thats why. Mexicans arent living a diet of nixtamalized corn, guavas and mexicancoke.. The snack food industry in mexico is possibly more overbearing than it is in America. I dont know if they had a lot of wheat in their traditional diet nevermind enriched flour and seed oils.

michael94

So what? When sucrose is heated, it breaks down into...... get this....... glucose and fructose. If there is heat used in the making of coca cola (and there is), it wouldn't be surprising if it broke down into simple sugars.

Coca-Cola formula - Wikipedia

Coca-Cola inventor John Pemberton is said to have written this recipe in his diary shortly before his death in 1888.[28][29] The recipe does not specify when or how the ingredients are mixed, nor the flavoring oil quantity units of measure (though it implies that the "Merchandise 7X" was mixed first). This was common in recipes at the time, as it was assumed that preparers knew the method.

Ingredients:

• 1 oz (28 g) caffeine citrate
  • 3 oz (85 g) citric acid
  • 1 US fl oz (30 ml) vanilla extract
  • 1 US qt (946 ml) lime juice
  • 2.5 oz (71 g) "flavoring", i.e., "Merchandise 7X"
  • 30 lb (14 kg) sugar
  • 4 US fl oz (118.3 ml) fluid extract of coca leaves (flavor essence of the coca leaf).
  • 2.5 US gal (9.5 l; 2.1 imp gal) water
  • caramel sufficient to give color
  • "Mix caffeine acid and lime juice in 1 quart boiling water add vanilla and flavoring when cool."
The concept that a disaccharide will break down into monosaccharides when heated isn't some secret only known by the world's most elite scientists. Amateur chefs are aware of this, too-

Carbohydrates: caramelisation.

When simple sugars such as sucrose (or table sugar) are heated, they melt and break down into glucose and fructose, two other forms of sugar.

Continuing to heat the sugar at high temperature causes these sugars to lose water and react with each other producing many different types of compounds. These compounds are responsible for the different flavour elements of caramel for example butterscotch, nutty and toasty flavours. The increases in temperature causes the sugar to darken in colour.

Not sure what he's "exposing" in that video, other than his ignorance of basic cooking processes.
maybe swap phosphoric acid for citric, if one were to make it like the current formula. Also tastes better and actually less calcium leaching despite I think being more acidic.

J

jb116

That's a terrible video. It's amazing because I've even commented on that video 6 months ago on YouBoob itself and it was ignored only for people to go on sensationally reiterating how terrible that is or what a con, so on and so forth. I think even smart people can get carried away by bad debunking, such as this video. Here were my original comments I had posted btw:

"Basic knowledge is missing from this video and there is much confusion. Real sugar, "sucrose" IS typically about 50/50 ratio of fructose to glucose. You should expect to find them! Sucrose found in fruits for example will even vary, it's not always a perfect ratio, nor is it always in favor of one over the other. HFCS is no different. The name unfortunately makes people believe it's got this ungodly amount of fructose in it. It does not. The ratios with HFCS will also vary, but again, within this typical range. Mexican Coke, because it is created and sits probably longer than domestic soda, but probably not that much longer, will have what's called inversion due to the sucrose i.e. real sugar exposed to the acidic environment of the liquid. This slightly again changes ratio. In NO way does that study or the analysis tell you what the starter sweetener is based on giving us percentages of fructose and glucose, especially when they are not astronomically different. This video is pure drama and ridiculous."

Also, +1 to what tankasnowgod said.

OP
T

TheBeard

So what? When sucrose is heated, it breaks down into...... get this....... glucose and fructose. If there is heat used in the making of coca cola (and there is), it wouldn't be surprising if it broke down into simple sugars.

Coca-Cola formula - Wikipedia

Coca-Cola inventor John Pemberton is said to have written this recipe in his diary shortly before his death in 1888.[28][29] The recipe does not specify when or how the ingredients are mixed, nor the flavoring oil quantity units of measure (though it implies that the "Merchandise 7X" was mixed first). This was common in recipes at the time, as it was assumed that preparers knew the method.

Ingredients:

• 1 oz (28 g) caffeine citrate
  • 3 oz (85 g) citric acid
  • 1 US fl oz (30 ml) vanilla extract
  • 1 US qt (946 ml) lime juice
  • 2.5 oz (71 g) "flavoring", i.e., "Merchandise 7X"
  • 30 lb (14 kg) sugar
  • 4 US fl oz (118.3 ml) fluid extract of coca leaves (flavor essence of the coca leaf).
  • 2.5 US gal (9.5 l; 2.1 imp gal) water
  • caramel sufficient to give color
  • "Mix caffeine acid and lime juice in 1 quart boiling water add vanilla and flavoring when cool."
The concept that a disaccharide will break down into monosaccharides when heated isn't some secret only known by the world's most elite scientists. Amateur chefs are aware of this, too-

Carbohydrates: caramelisation.

When simple sugars such as sucrose (or table sugar) are heated, they melt and break down into glucose and fructose, two other forms of sugar.

Continuing to heat the sugar at high temperature causes these sugars to lose water and react with each other producing many different types of compounds. These compounds are responsible for the different flavour elements of caramel for example butterscotch, nutty and toasty flavours. The increases in temperature causes the sugar to darken in colour.

Not sure what he's "exposing" in that video, other than his ignorance of basic cooking processes.

By that logic, American and European Cola are just as good to drink then?
So why would Peat insist on Mexican Cola?

Jessie

He said he prefers the taste.
I think he did mention something about HFCS not being filtered properly. I don't remember what interview it was, but it was something about a inferior filtration process that results in a substance with too much starch. And that these calories are not accounted for on nutrition labels. Essentially there could be hidden calories in the end products. I'm not sure if he meant HFCS is always like this or if it's just inferior processing in certain production centers.

AlaskaJono

I am drinking Australian Coke now... and it does taste better than "normal" ones in the USA. It metabolizes fine in my biosystem. :): It says sugar on the can, so sucrose ?, and they do not have a massive corn agribusiness here (or NZ) to produce HFCS etc. . Yet anyway. I remember Mexican Coke being so much better tasting in the States than the usual. Otherwise I drink juice from oranges or apples. And honey. And we are not afraid to use sugar, so I am well acquainted with the 'correct' taste of sugar (vs hfcs or fructose or dextrose). And the energy boost. I did not watch the video above, so can't comment on that. Cheers.

J

jb116

I think he did mention something about HFCS not being filtered properly. I don't remember what interview it was, but it was something about a inferior filtration process that results in a substance with too much starch. And that these calories are not accounted for on nutrition labels. Essentially there could be hidden calories in the end products. I'm not sure if he meant HFCS is always like this or if it's just inferior processing in certain production centers.
That was debunked more or less and I think he indirectly acknowledges that. Peat has said that and sucrose are metabolically equal.
In terms of other industry contantimants, one could ponder on that. I personally never found to have an issue with the american coke and sometimes prefer it. But I do like the Mexican coke too.

By the way for those other reasons or let's say possible contaminants, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be a real problem in the HFCS stuff.

mrchibbs

I saw the video originally and I like what Johnny produces, especially the Borders series (which have been cancelled).

But I thought something was off.

To me the crux of the matter is HFCS, and the GMO corn it is made of. But Coca-Cola isn't really being transparent as per the differences in the recipe in different locations. And they've proven very difficult to contact (I've tried)

tankasnowgod

By that logic, American and European Cola are just as good to drink then?
So why would Peat insist on Mexican Cola?

Why would you think that logic would mean that sugar and HFCS colas are the same?

Peat has stated that metabolically, sugar and HFCS is the same. However, there can certainly still be differences between pure sugar and HFCS. I have noticed a more "syrupy" consistency in colas that use HFCS than those that use pure sure.

I don't know if anything I said in the first post stated that there are NO differences between sugar and HFCS when used in cola. It was only a reference to heat being able to break down disaccarides. Meaning that the studies that the youtuber cited don't mean what he thinks they mean.

tankasnowgod

Personally I enjoy a diet coke with meals a couple times a week. What is Ray's angle on aspartame? Many less sensational voices in the alt health community have said it's dangers are vastly overstated. Essentially its L-aspartic acid with the amino group of methyl L-phenylalaninate, both of which serve important physiological functions and are often supplemented. As I recall there is a negligble trace amount of formaldehyde left ofter after they are reduced by digestive acids.

I do know when I hitting a 12 pack a weeks it was taking a toll and switching to Zevia soda or carbonating your own is the best option. To bad Zevia isn't in glass. I suspect it isn't the estrogens in the cans as much as the phosphoric acid leaching aluminum.

Might be okay, but I don't understand how anyone on the Ray Peat Forum would be scared of sugar.

lvysaur

Monkey see monkey do.

Aping US policy of taxing sugary drinks.
I noticed this in the Japanese Ramune soft drinks.

I remember those things tasting pure and sweet, clean and crisp. I bought one yesterday and it tasted like robutussin. Looked at the ingredients, it was HFCS. Japanese snacks have it now too.

yerrag

I noticed this in the Japanese Ramune soft drinks.

I remember those things tasting pure and sweet, clean and crisp. I bought one yesterday and it tasted like robutussin. Looked at the ingredients, it was HFCS. Japanese snacks have it now too.

Pepe, Juan, and now Nobuo.

Better shift the tax on omega-6 PUFA oils!

yerrag

Ain't happening though. Too much at stake in the soy belt, the corn belt, and in the canola belt.

Attakai

Holy ***t this is dumb, and even worse are the lack of youtube comments calling him out on this ***t.

IIRC ray preferred sugar over HFCS due to higher contaminants and starch byproducts found in it.

managing

Considering how acidic coke is, I wonder if they used cane sugar, but it dissociated into glucose and fructose due to said acidity.
Excellent guess. But it isn't the pH of the solution that causes it.

Coca Cola makes in invert syrup for Mexican coke (and the original decades ago in the US). This is because invert tastes sweeter than sucrose. It is made simply by heating a sucrose in water solution. This separates into glucose and fructose. Still legally labeled as Sucrose.

Inverted sugar syrup - Wikipedia

I think I will ask Dr. Peat what he thinks of this.

EDIT: I see @tankasnowgod got to this first. But I did ask Dr. P and will report back if he responds. I have a feeling this is one he will respond to. But I also know he went to Mexico for the election and have no idea if his access is as good when he is there.

Last edited:

managing

That would explain why obesity is so prevalent in Mexico, they are not drinking what they think they are.

Not that any Coke drinker checks whether it's sugar or corn syrup on the ingredient list anyways except for the 0,000001% Peatarians.
I think it is because of non-nixtimalized corn, beans, junk food, and a fatalistic outlook on life. Also "Mexican coke" is also a minority of the coke sold in Mexico as well. Most of it is just HFCS coke and other sodas. "Mexican coke" is more expensive than HFCS sodas in Mexico.

rzero

For at least a year or two, my local grocery store has stocked 4-packs of 12oz. glass bottles of "Georgia Peach" and "California Raspberry" U.S. Coca-Cola, that list cane sugar on the ingredients. They also sell the "Hecho en Mexico" Coke (with "sugar") in 4-packs but I never buy it because these taste better. The flavors really work, and they're all natural.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals