Mexican Coke Is A Lie

TheSir

Found no sucrose (which is glucose and fructose)
Found only glucose and fructose

Genius :D

yerrag

Monkey see monkey do.

Aping US policy of taxing sugary drinks.

Coke is forced to find cheaper sources of sweetness other than cane sugar.

Demand for Coke is very price-elastic. Coke can't just raise prices because of the tax. It has to find a way to lower cost. The only way is to sub cane sugar with cheaper HFCS. This way, it can minimize price increases to hold on to demand.

In the Philippines, we also aped US policy on taxing sugary drinks. But to protect local sugar growers, we also imposed a higher tax on HFCS than cane sugar.

The result? Coke added sucralose to the previously pure cane sugar regular Coke. Just to minimize price increase from increased taxation.

In effect, this made Coke even less healthy to drink. I'd prefer Mexican Coke over Philippine Coke.

Thank you US - for setting a trend on taxing sugary drinks, and causing the world to lose Original Coke.

US tax policy screws not only Gringos, but also Pepe and Juan.

Ableton

recently started drinking more coke. just getting whatever I can get my hands on, coca cola, pepsi, and some local brew.

what should I look out for?

Considering how acidic coke is, I wonder if they used cane sugar, but it dissociated into glucose and fructose due to said acidity.

Jessie

I think the glass bottle is more important than the sugar v corn syrup debate. The cans and plastic bottles are estrogenic. Hypothetically, if I had to choose between sucrose flavored soda in a can or corn syrup flavored soda in a glass bottle I would choose the latter every time. It just so happens you get the best of both worlds with Mexican coke (or do you!?!?).

tallglass13

Whether you want vitamin A or not, rumor has it they fortify their sugar with vitamin A in South America and Mexico, FYI

Whether you want vitamin A or not, rumor has it they fortify their sugar with vitamin A in South America and Mexico, FYI
Never heard that before. I live in South America( Brazil), and the sugar I buy doesn't mention any vit. A on the ingredient list( can they put an ingredient like that without mentioning it?). Perhaps other south amercian countries do it?

Mexican Coke tastes dramatically better than corn syrup Coke, and it doesn't have citric acid in it.

OP
T

TheBeard

Monkey see monkey do.

Aping US policy of taxing sugary drinks.

Coke is forced to find cheaper sources of sweetness other than cane sugar.

Demand for Coke is very price-elastic. Coke can't just raise prices because of the tax. It has to find a way to lower cost. The only way is to sub cane sugar with cheaper HFCS. This way, it can minimize price increases to hold on to demand.

In the Philippines, we also aped US policy on taxing sugary drinks. But to protect local sugar growers, we also imposed a higher tax on HFCS than cane sugar.

The result? Coke added sucralose to the previously pure cane sugar regular Coke. Just to minimize price increase from increased taxation.

In effect, this made Coke even less healthy to drink. I'd prefer Mexican Coke over Philippine Coke.

Thank you US - for setting a trend on taxing sugary drinks, and causing the world to lose Original Coke.

US tax policy screws not only Gringos, but also Pepe and Juan.

That would explain why obesity is so prevalent in Mexico, they are not drinking what they think they are.

Not that any Coke drinker checks whether it's sugar or corn syrup on the ingredient list anyways except for the 0,000001% Peatarians.

tallglass13

Never heard that before. I live in South America( Brazil), and the sugar I buy doesn't mention any vit. A on the ingredient list( can they put an ingredient like that without mentioning it?). Perhaps other south amercian countries do it?
LOOK AT BOTTOM OF PACKAGE , WERE IT MAY SHOW RDA% 15. I WOULD BUY ORGANIC AND CHECK THE PACKAGE VERY WELL. GRANT GENEREUX FOUND A PACKAGE OF SUGAR FROM MEXICO NOTING 15% RDA FOR VIT A.

OP
T

TheBeard

I think the glass bottle is more important than the sugar v corn syrup debate. The cans and plastic bottles are estrogenic. Hypothetically, if I had to choose between sucrose flavored soda in a can or corn syrup flavored soda in a glass bottle I would choose the latter every time. It just so happens you get the best of both worlds with Mexican coke (or do you!?!?).

I think the plastic/estrogen connection is overblown when we look at the bigger picture, I have no proof for that, but the amounts of hormones circulating in the body are of such a bigger magnitude in terms of concentration than the potential plastic leaching from a bottle.

tankasnowgod

Skip to 6:13

So what? When sucrose is heated, it breaks down into...... get this....... glucose and fructose. If there is heat used in the making of coca cola (and there is), it wouldn't be surprising if it broke down into simple sugars.

Coca-Cola formula - Wikipedia

Coca-Cola inventor John Pemberton is said to have written this recipe in his diary shortly before his death in 1888.[28][29] The recipe does not specify when or how the ingredients are mixed, nor the flavoring oil quantity units of measure (though it implies that the "Merchandise 7X" was mixed first). This was common in recipes at the time, as it was assumed that preparers knew the method.

Ingredients:

• 1 oz (28 g) caffeine citrate
  • 3 oz (85 g) citric acid
  • 1 US fl oz (30 ml) vanilla extract
  • 1 US qt (946 ml) lime juice
  • 2.5 oz (71 g) "flavoring", i.e., "Merchandise 7X"
  • 30 lb (14 kg) sugar
  • 4 US fl oz (118.3 ml) fluid extract of coca leaves (flavor essence of the coca leaf).
  • 2.5 US gal (9.5 l; 2.1 imp gal) water
  • caramel sufficient to give color
  • "Mix caffeine acid and lime juice in 1 quart boiling water add vanilla and flavoring when cool."
The concept that a disaccharide will break down into monosaccharides when heated isn't some secret only known by the world's most elite scientists. Amateur chefs are aware of this, too-

Carbohydrates: caramelisation.

When simple sugars such as sucrose (or table sugar) are heated, they melt and break down into glucose and fructose, two other forms of sugar.

Continuing to heat the sugar at high temperature causes these sugars to lose water and react with each other producing many different types of compounds. These compounds are responsible for the different flavour elements of caramel for example butterscotch, nutty and toasty flavours. The increases in temperature causes the sugar to darken in colour.

Not sure what he's "exposing" in that video, other than his ignorance of basic cooking processes.

Last edited:

R J

I didn’t watch whole thing but since sucrose has a different glucose:fructose ratio than HFCS wouldn’t it be pretty simple to compare a can and a bottle at a lab and see which ratio matches?

Amazigh

I was in Mexico City a couple of years ago and was shocked when I couldn't find Mexican coke anywhere. There was only American coke. As for the video's claim, I wonder about sucrose breaking down into fructose and glucose, since this also happens when you make simple syrup at home, I don't see why this would automatically mean it's the same thing as HFCS--especially since the fructose:glucose ratio was not tested to see if it qualified as "high" compared to glucose. Who knows, maybe they're putting in glucose and fructose in a formula similar to sucrose, though that sounds like extra effort. Also, I wonder if the source of the sugar, cane vs corn, makes a difference. My anecdotal experience: I'm old enough to remember what sodas tasted like with cane sugar. Mexican Coke tastes like Coke in the 1970's did, and modern Coke tastes really syrupy compared to it.

Summer

Besides price, why not just drink organic sodas that you can find at many stores now? For example, I usually see root beer that is just water, cane sugar and spices. Is there something special about coca-cola?

Infarouge

Personally I enjoy a diet coke with meals a couple times a week. What is Ray's angle on aspartame? Many less sensational voices in the alt health community have said it's dangers are vastly overstated. Essentially its L-aspartic acid with the amino group of methyl L-phenylalaninate, both of which serve important physiological functions and are often supplemented. As I recall there is a negligble trace amount of formaldehyde left ofter after they are reduced by digestive acids.

I do know when I hitting a 12 pack a weeks it was taking a toll and switching to Zevia soda or carbonating your own is the best option. To bad Zevia isn't in glass. I suspect it isn't the estrogens in the cans as much as the phosphoric acid leaching aluminum.

Jessie

I think the plastic/estrogen connection is overblown when we look at the bigger picture, I have no proof for that, but the amounts of hormones circulating in the body are of such a bigger magnitude in terms of concentration than the potential plastic leaching from a bottle.
Yeah maybe, I can't really say for sure. My view on it is, if we do everything we can to avoid all the endocrine disrupters in our food we still won't avoid all of them. So if it's something we don't even attempt to limit our exposure to them is overwhelming. So I try to do my part in avoiding them to the best of my ability. I.E drinking out of glass, eating out of glass, cooking in stainless steel or ceramic, very good water filters, etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals