Metvix Red Light Treatment For Acne [Photodynamic Therapy]

ilovethesea

http://www.eternallyyoung.ca/acne_treatment.php

"It is a relatively new and effective medical treatment using a photosensitizing solution , Metvix (16% methyl aminolevulinate). Metvix solution is related to naturally occurring substances in the body.
The photosensitizing solution is activated by illumination from an Aktilite light source (red light, wavelength of 630 nm."

Has anyone heard of this? I was looking for something safe I can do to get rid of the acne issues I've been having ever since my T3 supply dried up. I'm sick of dealing with premenstrual acne when it's easily fixed by some thyroid, but try getting a doctor to listen... ugh.

Since I'm not willing to put my life/skin on hold until I figure how I'm going to get some meds, I was thinking to try this doctor's office treatment. Hopefully should wipe out acne for 3-4 months.

Is methyl aminolevulinate safe? What about the 630 nm of red light - that is ok, correct?

I know there is a similar treatment called Levulan (and it works) but it uses blue light which is obviously a no no.

OP
I

ilovethesea

Forget it. They said the treatment uses red light AND blue light. But if I just want red light, the results won't be very effective, and I'd still have to pay $750 x 2 treatments within 2 weeks. No thanks!

Probably going to have to resort to spironolactone... I know it's harmful but I can't find any other solution and procuring T3 is next to impossible these days.

tara

Have you tried just red light yourself at home? I think 630 sounds like it's in the range that Peat recommends, and may well be good, but he may favour getting a broader range.
Have you tried just getting a regular incandescent light as close as comfortable for a few minutes a couple of times a day?

OP
I

ilovethesea

ken said:
http://www.illumask.com/anti-acne-mask/?wm_crID=28462762&wm_lpID=113104228&wm_ctID=522&wm_kwID=74138845&wm_content=0&wm_g_crID=74681848342&wm_g_kw=%2bacne+%2blight+%2bmask&wm_g_pcmt=&wm_g_cnt=0&wm_g_device=c&gclid=CP2j-aK8ysYCFRNrfgodT8kFNQ&wm_kw=%2bacne+%2blight+%2bmask&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2bacne+%2blight+%2bmask&utm_campaign=us+-+brand+-+ps&wm_sd=1

here's one without the cream.

Thanks, I think I'll try that since the price is so low. I like that it's hands free!

Also LED man has reasonable prices so thinking of ordering from him too.

OP
I

ilovethesea

tara said:
Have you tried just red light yourself at home? I think 630 sounds like it's in the range that Peat recommends, and may well be good, but he may favour getting a broader range.
Have you tried just getting a regular incandescent light as close as comfortable for a few minutes a couple of times a day?

Yes I have a Baby Quasar and a LightStim, both have red light in the 600s. I have the Bulbrite bright lights too. I think the red light does more for acne - makes the inflammation go down. I haven't noticed any prevention benefit, but could be I need to use it longer/more often.

I'm following the other thread about curing hypo by putting 800 spectrum light on the thyroid, so maybe will give that a whirl too.

Dan W

ilovethesea said:
post 89371 I'm following the other thread about curing hypo by putting 800 spectrum light on the thyroid, so maybe will give that a whirl too.
ilovethesea, if you're still experimenting with this, this study suggests 630nm is better than those higher wavelengths:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3352636/

It's an encouraging study in general, with pretty good improvements on 2 treatments a week. Although they also used topical antibiotics. But I'm thinking the 630nm light was a big part of the improvement, especially given the relatively-poor performance of the 880nm.

I figure it's worth a shot if you have a 630nm device, you just have to figure out how to match their 12J/cm2 fluence. Although they did use lasers instead of our more-typical LED devices <-- had to mention that before narouz got here :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals