Metrics For Measuring CO2

pone

Has Ray Peat indicated how he wants us to establish our CO2 saturation levels and what specific targets he thinks are generally therapeutic? Here are some ways to potentially infer CO2:

* O2 saturation on a pulse oximeter (assuming you do not have an issue with oxygen exchange in your lungs, then lower O2 saturation might imply higher CO2 saturation)

* CO2 measurement on a blood serum test

* CO2 / O2 respiratory exchange ratio (RER) from a VO2Max test, which will tell you if you are burning fat or glucose while at rest

Which of these should we be using and what are good targets? Does anyone have data comparing what average people have for each of the above at sea level versus at altitudes > 2000 meters?

tara

Can't answer your question, but a couple of other related metrics might be end-tidal CO2 in exhaled breath, and Buteyko Control Pause length.

In terms of what is therapeutic, it may be that that varies, because it takes time for the system to adjust to change and to change the set point to accommodate a higher CO2 level. Too sudden increases in CO2 can trigger distressing events for some people. Altitude sickness can and does kill the unaccustomed, and migraines an panic attacks can be initiated by overenthusiastic speed in raising CO2.
Gradual training in raising CO2 is probably the safer route.

I got these numbers from Jennifer Stark. I believe she got them from Dr. Buteyko. They are statistical averages.

Control Pause 5 seconds = PaCO2 25mmHg ; 3.5% of total air in alveoli is CO2
CP 10 seconds = PaCO2 28.5mmHg ; 4%
CP 20 seconds = PaCO2 32.1mmHg ; 4.5%
CP 30 seconds = PaCO2 35.7mmHg ; 5%
CP40 seconds = PaCO2 39.2mmHg ; 5.5%
CP 50 seconds = PaCO2 42.8mmHg ; 6%

OP
P

pone

I got these numbers from Jennifer Stark. I believe she got them from Dr. Buteyko. They are statistical averages.

Control Pause 5 seconds = PaCO2 25mmHg ; 3.5% of total air in alveoli is CO2
CP 10 seconds = PaCO2 28.5mmHg ; 4%
CP 20 seconds = PaCO2 32.1mmHg ; 4.5%
CP 30 seconds = PaCO2 35.7mmHg ; 5%
CP40 seconds = PaCO2 39.2mmHg ; 5.5%
CP 50 seconds = PaCO2 42.8mmHg ; 6%

Okay, but has Ray ever said where he thinks a healthy range to maintain saturation is?

Not sure what Ray has said on this. Medical science says the normal range is 35 to 45mmHg. It's my understanding that Dr. Buteyko taught that 37 was when health could begin to be compromised.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals