Methylxanthines And (rat) Gonads

allblues

Found a study on methylxanthine (caffeine, theobromine, theophylline etc) intake and rat testicular/hormonal health. Rats were given one of either of the three substances in what appears to be quite large amounts (0,5% of total diet?)

Testicular atrophy and impaired spermatogenesis in rats fed high levels of the methylxanthines caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline. - PubMed - NCBI

I'm not too worried as the complete circumstances of diet etc that these rats were under isn't clear, and the dose was probably quite hefty, but i'm interested in the findings which seem contradictory;

First this;
... Caffeine and theobromine induced testicular injury in nearly all rats. Theophylline induced severe testicular atrophy in 14 percent of the rats, mild to moderate atrophy in 71 percent, and had no effect in 15 percent. The relative testicular toxicity of the methylxanthines was caffeine, most potent; theobromine, slightly less potent; and theophylline, considerably less potent.
And then this;
Plasma testosterone concentrations were significantly elevated in the theobromine group and somewhat elevated in the caffeine-treated group; this correlated morphologically with an apparent hyperplasia of interstitial cells in severely atrophied testes in these groups. Plasma cholesterol concentrations were significantly increased in the caffeine and theobromine groups.

Plasma testosterone shot up but the testicles suffered injury? Did the xanthines just make the poor 'nads work harder than they could manage, busily spitting out T until they just couldn't take it anymore?

Another related study;
Maternal caffeine consumption has irreversible effects on reproductive parameters and fertility in male offspring rats. - PubMed - NCBI

Been investigating this stuff as coffee tends to make my own pair regress, but i'm guessing that's probably a blood flow/adrenaline thing.
Anyway, i know you guys love talking steroids so i thought i'd throw this one out there.

Last edited:

X3CyO

thats what it sounds like. Probably why people tend to match milk and sugar with coffee and chocolate to provide enough extra cholesterol.

Elephanto

thats what it sounds like. Probably why people tend to match milk and sugar with coffee and chocolate to provide enough extra cholesterol.

Doubt it, the amount of cholesterol in the milk used for a cup of coffee is ridiculously low. People use milk in coffee to minimize the gut-irritating property of chlorogenic acid (casein binding to it) and sugar to bring back up blood sugar that was lowered by its cortisol-triggering effect. Chocolate being another stimulant would also uses up energy that needs to be resplenished but it actually lowers cortisol, adding milk and sugar simply removes bitterness which most people don't like. On the other end, most people don't add anything to green tea/yerba maté since they are not gut-irritating, bitter or stressing.

BTW you already produce around 800mg of cholesterol daily, I doubt adding 1-2mg from the milk in coffee will do anything to raise testosterone. Actually if even the amount (or its sugar content) in 2 cups of milk did, it wouldn't have this effect :
After the intake of cow milk, serum estrone (E1) and progesterone concentrations significantly increased, and serum luteinizing hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone and testosterone significantly decreased in men.
Exposure to exogenous estrogen through intake of commercial milk produced from pregnant cows. - PubMed - NCBI

Most commercial milk has high chances of containing milk from pregnant cows since they are forcefully made pregnant almost year-round to increase production.

Last edited:

X3CyO

Saturated fat and sugar raise cholesterol. Coffee and Chocolate raise metabolism which uses cholesterol and calories.