Methylene Blue (MB) May Allow Creating Near-perfect (redox) Batteries

haidut

Forum Supporter
Interesting study on using the redox properties of MB as a way to store electrons and then extract them as needed - i.e. the primary mechanism behind any modern battery.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/celc.201801097
This bright blue dye is found in fabric: Could it also power batteries? A component of wastewater in textile-making is good at tasks associated with energy storage

"...A sapphire-colored dye called methylene blue is a common ingredient in wastewater from textile mills. But University at Buffalo scientists think it may be possible to give this industrial pollutant a second life. In a new study, they show that the dye, when dissolved in water, is good at storing and releasing energy on cue. This makes the compound a promising candidate material for redox flow batteries -- large, rechargeable liquid-based batteries that could enable future wind farms and solar homes to stockpile electricity for calm or rainy days."

"...What Cook and Kosswattaarachchi have shown -- so far -- is that methylene blue is good at important tasks associated with energy storage. In experiments, the scientists built two simple batteries that employed the dye -- dissolved in salt water -- to capture, store and release electrons (all crucial jobs in the life of a power cell). The first battery the researchers made operated with near-perfect efficiency when it was charged and drained 50 times: Any electrical energy the scientists put in, they also got out, for the most part."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Soren

Forum Supporter
This is very cool!!!

A near perfect efficiency battery is an incredible achievement.

So many potential applications for this. I'm holding out for the day we'll be charging our bodies with energy stored in MB batteries :rockout

rei

Does this mean they replace the acid with methylene blue in saltwater?

CoolTweetPete

Hi @haidut

I am curious about the studies I've seen floating around the forum regarding heavy metal contamination of methylene blue. Much of this information appears to be coming from a newly founded pharmaceutical company that claims only their product (I think ProvayBlue) is heavy metal free. I wonder if the contamination is not as severe as they claim (marketing ploy).

Thanks for this study!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Does this mean they replace the acid with methylene blue in saltwater?

Yes, and the explanation is quite simple. In biology the proper definition of an acid is the so-called Lewis acid. Any electron withdrawing chemical is thus technically a Lewis acid. That list includes CO2, regular acids like sulfuric and hydrochloric, etc but also quinones like vitamin K, CoQ10 and of course methylene blue. The Lewis acid (in this case methylene blue) accepts/stores the electrons from the salt and since methylene blue can get reoxidized, in that process it releases the electrons it has captured. That process of reduction/oxidation can be repeated indefinitely and as they say MB is apparently really good as it captures and releases the all available electrons from the salt with near perfect efficiency. So, this battery will probably be much more efficient (and longer lasting) than the conventional ones with lithium or nickel.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hi @haidut

I am curious about the studies I've seen floating around the forum regarding heavy metal contamination of methylene blue. Much of this information appears to be coming from a newly founded pharmaceutical company that claims only their product (I think ProvayBlue) is heavy metal free. I wonder if the contamination is not as severe as they claim (marketing ploy).

Thanks for this study!

I think you are on the right track:): The first thing a pharma company does before it sells a drug is try to ban all generic versions or variations of the chemical it sells. In the case of methylene blue FDA will probably not go with such an extreme measure as it is used for so many other things clinically. So, since it cannot get banned, the second more effective tactic is to scare people from using the generic chemical due to contamination of some sort. This second trick has been done many times and pharma companies have been caught and fined multiple times for trying to push F.U.D. about a competing drug. I think the most recent story was about "contamination" of the drug Valsartan, and other recent FUDs targeted aspirin, taurine, and even pregnenolone.

CoolTweetPete

I think you are on the right track:): The first thing a pharma company does before it sells a drug is try to ban all generic versions or variations of the chemical it sells. In the case of methylene blue FDA will probably not go with such an extreme measure as it is used for so many other things clinically. So, since it cannot get banned, the second more effective tactic is to scare people from using the generic chemical due to contamination of some sort. This second trick has been done many times and pharma companies have been caught and fined multiple times for trying to push F.U.D. about a competing drug. I think the most recent story was about "contamination" of the drug Valsartan, and other recent FUDs targeted aspirin, taurine, and even pregnenolone.

Yikes. I should have known. Anything for a buck. Thanks Haidut!!

Spokey

Nice. Looks like a simple set up, a salt bridge connecting too reservoirs. Sod the lemons, this is a good project for the kids.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom