Methylene Blue (MB) Is A Potent Aromatase Inhibitor

Dean

That's what I was afraid of. It's unbelievable how often it has happened that I decide to take something (not an easy threshold for me anyway), order it,and then before it even arrives I find a reason why I can't or shouldn't take it.

Thanks for the info anyway, haidut.

HDD

haidut said:
post 81523
Such_Saturation said:
Do you find it gives you problems with liver or cheeses?

Yes, I get headache when I take MB and eat some cheddar cheese. Maybe it's the tyramine in the cheese interacting with MB or fueling its MAO effects.

This is my second day of taking 1 drop of oxidal and getting sunshine. I have been having hip/lower back pain and thought this might help. It has worked well for the pain in hips. However, today I got a headache and can't seem to shake it. I have been drinking oj, eating cheddar cheese sticks, coffee, mexicoke to alleviate the headache. I did a search and found this post about cheddar cheese and MB causing headache. Could my one drop of Oxidal and cheesesticks be the cause?

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveFoster

HDD said:
This is my second day of taking 1 drop of oxidal and getting sunshine. I have been having hip/lower back pain and thought this might help. It has worked well for the pain in hips. However, today I got a headache and can't seem to shake it. I have been drinking oj, eating cheddar cheese sticks, coffee, mexicoke to alleviate the headache. I did a search and found this post about cheddar cheese and MB causing headache. Could my one drop of Oxidal and cheesesticks be the cause?
With one drop, not due to MAO-B effects, which is what interferes with the metabolism of tyramine. You'd need a dose of 10+ mg (likely more like 100 mg) to go into MAO-B inhibition territory.

Stay at that dose until you begin to tolerate the dose. Haidut has said he needed to acclimatize himself to the compound.

HDD

Ok, thanks, for explaining. I was considering a second drop in the evening since the hip pain returned in the evening but I will wait. Pains decreasing are due to increased metabolism, correct? Maybe the headache had to do with blood sugar. I had temp of 99.7 F and a pulse of 90 the first day after sunbathing and a drop of Oxidal. Today I worked in the yard in the sun so I suspect that I burned up my fuel quicker.

CoolTweetPete

DaveFoster said:
post 108222
HDD said:
With one drop, not due to MAO-B effects, which is what interferes with the metabolism of tyramine. You'd need a dose of 10+ mg (likely more like 100 mg) to go into MAO-B inhibition territory.

Stay at that dose until you begin to tolerate the dose. Haidut has said he needed to acclimatize himself to the compound.

Thanks for that explanation. I was curious about this myself.

Do you think the symptoms of overuse of methylene blue might be similar to the symptoms of overuse of thyroid? I think I may be experiencing that today, actually.

DaveFoster

Overuse of methylene
CoolTweetPete said:
Do you think the symptoms of overuse of methylene blue might be similar to the symptoms of overuse of thyroid? I think I may be experiencing that today, actually.
"Overuse" of methylene blue is a relative term. Doses of 10 - 100 mg per day result in sweating due to increased mitochondrial uncoupling. Along with this, your libido will likely drop off a clip once you hit 10 mg/day.

CoolTweetPete

DaveFoster said:
post 108246 Overuse of methylene
CoolTweetPete said:
"Overuse" of methylene blue is a relative term. Doses of 10 - 100 mg per day result in sweating due to increased mitochondrial uncoupling. Along with this, your libido will likely drop off a clip once you hit 10 mg/day.

Ah, that's good to know, thanks. Do you have any theory as to why ones libido would drop at higher doses? I'm interested in working my way up to higher doses, but not really at high expense to libido.

Gl;itch.e

I can't handle much more than 1mg in a single dose without getting headaches. I'm not totally convinced its due to blood sugar though that was the theory I was running with also. So I usually just do 1 or 2 doses of about 500mcg a day. No headaches or dissociative fog with that amount for me.

DaveFoster

CoolTweetPete said:
Do you have any theory as to why ones libido would drop at higher doses? I'm interested in working my way up to higher doses, but not really at high expense to libido.
Since methylene blue is a MAO-A inhibitor at doses ranging from 1 mg+, this means that inhibits monamine oxidase enzyme acitivty which reduces the breakdown of various neurotransmitters, including serotonin, melatonin, norepinepherine and dopamine, among others.

Basically, the more MAO-A inhibition, the more serotonin and dopamine you have floating around your brain. This often results in brighter colors. Although dopmaine is also preserved with MAO-A inhibition, the power that serotonin has to lower libido dwarfs the ability of dopamine to raise libido (at least in my experience with methylene blue).

Thus, your libido tanks due to the excessive serotonin (a la SSRI medication). If you don't want to sacrifice your libido and still experience the benefits, take a dose of around 1- 2 mg daily, ideally divided into smaller, frequent doses (such as 3 doses of 500 mcg).
Gl;itch.e said:
post 108612 I can't handle much more than 1mg in a single dose without getting headaches. I'm not totally convinced its due to blood sugar though that was the theory I was running with also. So I usually just do 1 or 2 doses of about 500mcg a day. No headaches or dissociative fog with that amount for me.
Same with regard to the dissassociative fog, which seems like ADD brought on by high brain serotonin levels.

CoolTweetPete

Ah. That makes sense. Thank you Dave for your insight. :hattip

mujuro

I wanted to double check my math with the forum before I went ahead and began taking MB.

I have a bottle of 1%w/v, which means 1g/100ml. This is 10mg/1ml, which is 1mg/0.1ml. Correct?

Yes a drop is a bit more than half a milligram.

X3CyO

So; Methylene blue:
60mcg-1mg daily total due to
Mao-A effects happening past 1mg.
If you avoid MAO-A through another supplement, one can go up to 15mg daily in total, but no more than that.

Seems like a pain in the **** vs other supplements that work only within the positive realm of peat although the price is very low.

Will continue to investigate; most benefits seem to be above 1mg, where negatives can occur apparently without other supps or drugs or vits to offset negatives.

Personally tried:
2mg: partial drunkness feeling, with light headache and increase in anxiety.
1mg: lighter version of above but with increase in energy.

Gonna try .5mg later and lower

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

InChristAlone

I personally feel like around 100 microgram or less dosage is best.

DaveFoster

I would not risk taking Bendaryl and MB together. It is listed as one of the contraindicated drugs and even if you take a lower dose you still don't know how it may metabolize. If you accidentally ingest some food containing an inhibitor of cytochrome P450 (grapefruit, pears, some grapes), that 75mg of Benadryl may end up acting like a 300mg dose due to the inhibition of drug metabolism.
Cypro or one of the suggested 5-HT2 antagonists like mianserin, ketanserin, ritanserin, etc would be much safer.
MB is also contraindicated with doxylamine succinate for serotonin syndrome.

For sleep, there's glycine, cyproheptadine, aspirin, progesterone, and androsterone.

@haidut I've tried larger doses of progesterone (16-20 drops of Progestene's equivalent vs. 12-16), and it gave me insomnia against the lower dose. Do you think low blood sugar or possibly increased need for sodium (due to progesterone's lowering of aldosterone) could be to blame in this case?

Also, I know you're not a fan of melatonin, but do you ever sub-milligram dosages (as in 150-250 mcg) to induce sleep, and do you think it's okay to counteract caffeine's antagonism of adenosine and melatonin production?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
MB is also contraindicated with doxylamine succinate for serotonin syndrome.

For sleep, there's glycine, cyproheptadine, aspirin, progesterone, and androsterone.

@haidut I've tried larger doses of progesterone (16-20 drops of Progestene's equivalent vs. 12-16), and it gave me insomnia against the lower dose. Do you think low blood sugar or possibly increased need for sodium (due to progesterone's lowering of aldosterone) could be to blame in this case?

Also, I know you're not a fan of melatonin, but do you ever sub-milligram dosages (as in 150-250 mcg) to induce sleep, and do you think it's okay to counteract caffeine's antagonism of adenosine and melatonin production?

I think progesterone in higher doses antagonizes aldosterone and thus can cause sodium loss. Drop in sodium levels can lead to adreanline increase and thus insomnia. The dose would be unique for everybody but I have always liked progesterone more in sub 10mg doses. As far as sleep, try inosine. Not only is is a powerful adenosine agonist and thus promoted restorative sleep, it cures depression and rewires even traumatically damaged brain in doses as little as 1g daily. The depression studies used even less than that - about ~100mg daily for a human. Google "inosine depression" or "inosine brain damage".

Tarmander

I think progesterone in higher doses antagonizes aldosterone and thus can cause sodium loss. Drop in sodium levels can lead to adreanline increase and thus insomnia. The dose would be unique for everybody but I have always liked progesterone more in sub 10mg doses. As far as sleep, try inosine. Not only is is a powerful adenosine agonist and thus promoted restorative sleep, it cures depression and rewires even traumatically damaged brain in doses as little as 1g daily. The depression studies used even less than that - about ~100mg daily for a human. Google "inosine depression" or "inosine brain damage".

Have you tried inosine at all? Is the Uric acid increase a concern in people prone to gout?