Methylene Blue Issues

inthedark

I've used MB off and on for a year or so and I've found it very useful for general energy and wellbeing in doses of .5-1mg. However I see in threads here and in studies doses much higher are pretty common. But if I take any more than 1mg I am pretty much guaranteed to have a migraine the next day. What could this indicate? High serotonin maybe?

sladerunner69

I've used MB off and on for a year or so and I've found it very useful for general energy and wellbeing in doses of .5-1mg. However I see in threads here and in studies doses much higher are pretty common. But if I take any more than 1mg I am pretty much guaranteed to have a migraine the next day. What could this indicate? High serotonin maybe?

Well headaches can act as a response to all kinds of different things. Just shocking yourself out of an equilibrium state can be enough to start one.

this isn't scientific but I have always viewed headaches as your subconscious telling you the organism is angry/frightened. This is why you can get a headache just from talking to certain kinds of people, or while waiting in traffic, or having too much coffee or b3.

Mito

Too much MB is said to inhibit the MAO-A enzyme. The MAO-A enzyme is needed to break down serotonin.

“The ~0.4mg MB per drop in Oxidal is to approximate 1% MB solution as this is the one most commonly used in rodent studies. So, 2 drops Oxidal should be close to 1mg. I use 2 drops when I want to get some MB. The MAO-A inhbition starts at 500nM (I think), so this means no more than 5mg per dose. If used regularly, I would not use more than 1mg daily as it builds up and may reach the 500nM concentration rather quickly.”
Methylene Blue

OP
I

inthedark

Too much MB is said to inhibit the MAO-A enzyme. The MAO-A enzyme is needed to break down serotonin.

“The ~0.4mg MB per drop in Oxidal is to approximate 1% MB solution as this is the one most commonly used in rodent studies. So, 2 drops Oxidal should be close to 1mg. I use 2 drops when I want to get some MB. The MAO-A inhbition starts at 500nM (I think), so this means no more than 5mg per dose. If used regularly, I would not use more than 1mg daily as it builds up and may reach the 500nM concentration rather quickly.”
Methylene Blue

Yeah that makes sense. For me however this is even with a single dose without having used it for weeks. I see doses in the tens of milligrams once a day over multiple days with some studies and am wondering how that wouldn't produce awful serotonergic side effects. Maybe my intolerance to MB could indicate high serotonin or chronically low MAO-A?

Mito

Maybe my intolerance to MB could indicate high serotonin or chronically low MAO-A?
There is variant of the MAO-A SNP that is associated with reduced MAO-A enzyme activity.

“This was a huge find! It basically proves that anyone with MAO-A rs6323 +/- or +/+ for the T allele has slowed activity of the enzyme (if you don’t have a G allele, then your MAO-A is slowed down).”
MAO-A – Understanding the SNP

Lolinaa

Hi Mito, right now I am using tianeptine to get rid of serotonin and learned helplessness and as well propanolol when I have presentations to make (as I had a rush of adrenalin from using thyroid cynoplus and cytomel). Since my breathing can be shallow sometimes and I feel an uncomfortable feeling in my belly.
Since I have stop thyroïd and will start again next winter after gathering more information.
I am back to school doing a Master and I need all the energy and assertiveness possible to handle this year till at least November.
I would like to use MB for this purpose, like 0.5 mg to prevent the accumulative effects.
Does it sound like a good idea? Any other advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mito

I am back to school doing a Master and I need all the energy and assertiveness possible to handle this year till at least November. I would like to use MB for this purpose, like 0.5 mg to prevent the accumulative effects. Does it sound like a good idea? Any other advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Haidut has posted that 0.5 mg shouldn’t increase serotonin but I don’t have any experience taking it everyday. Caffeine and Energin - Liquid B-Complex Vitamin Mix can help with energy and might be safer than MB everyday. Another possibility to look into is Cardenosine - Liquid Product For R&D. But I don’t know how any of it would go with propanolol or tianeptine since I have no experience with either one.

Lolinaa

Thank you Mito,
I can't use too much caffeine or coffee as it raises even more adrenalin and cortisol effects which provocs anxiety.
I use the B vitamins individually but I stopped most apart b3 and I have ordered some allithiamin b1.
Anyway I just plan to use MB for general well being, I dont plan a long term use of any medication. 1 or 3 weeks max and then get out.

OP
I

inthedark

Just found this old thread of mine. Just to follow up: I've been taking Metergoline in low doses and I've found it reduces but does not eliminate headache I often get after taking MB. So I assume it was raising my serotonin to some extent and that Metergoline partially mitigates the effect.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals