Methylene Blue Is Amazing

People also take many supplements here, and it is impossible to attribute a effect to a given supplement when you're on so many.

Also, many people take far too much of something. 20 or 30 mg of methylene blue is a astoundingly large amount. Ray says 60 µg is a good daily dose for most people.

It's

Thoushant

I'm tempted to, I don't intend to name call, nor advice, Name call is probably the extreme, but an aggressive tone have its value

Because IRL socially you rely on body language, emotions etc. whatever you do and say you are held accountable to it by your peers in how they respond, there's a behavioral change which makes you well-adjusted.
A tad of aggression is a compressed package of valuable information on how to relate to what you're reading.

IRL name calling isn't necessary, you just give a side glance and that's it.
Online, reading forums becomes a habit, yada yada yada "Oh yeah this stuff can't be bad" when all you're presented with is one sided confirmation bias.
If concern is raised the discussion moves along too respectfully, it often take several pages, derails offtopics etc. most people skim that.. There are no RED FLAGS.

It's like trying to indirectly criticize someone. This is actually a current problem in kindergardens in Dk: too many women and women values, boys aren't allowed to be boys.

Last edited:

squanch

Micro or milli?

The second paragraph says jittery on 100 micro grams so want to be sure.
The very first time I took it was just 100 micrograms. This caused some jittery effects for a few hours (similar to caffeine jitters), but went away after 2-3 days of daily use.

A few months later I tried around 100 milligrams daily, mainly to treat a really bad sore throat. It is anti viral , anti bacterial and anti fungal in higher doses. I read somewhere that many years ago there used to be a medicine for sore throats available, which was basically just a methylene blue solution that you applied with a cotton swab to the back of your throat. I actually made a thread about it here. I never had that jittery feeling with the high doses and I don't have it with low doses around 100 mcg anymore either, even after several weeks of not taking it at all.

It's a really weird substance with some different effects in different doses. The nootropic effects actually seem to be greater in the range of 50 mcg - 1000 mcg compared to the higher doses.
Very high doses (several grams per day) have been used and studied for malaria treatment though, without any adverse effects. I feel pretty safe taking it in higher doses for a few days to treat viral infections. The only potential problem I could find was MAO-A inhibition at higher doses, I personally never experienced any symptoms of it though. Probably still best to limit the use of more than 1000 mcg to only a few days, just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

Giraffe

Very high doses (several grams per day) have been used and studied for malaria treatment though, without any adverse effects. I feel pretty safe taking it in higher doses for a few days to treat viral infections. The only potential problem I could find was MAO-A inhibition at higher doses, I personally never experienced any symptoms of it though. Probably still best to limit the use of more than 1000 mcg to only a few days, just to be on the safe side.

Regarding dosage of methylene blue in the treatment of malaria
A dose of 36-72mg/kg over 3 days is the most effective schedule.15

ddjd

I had my first taste of methylene blue 5 mins ago. I didn't weigh it, I just took a tiny pinch and mixed it in water. I feel an instant boost in self awareness, alertness, motivation and energy. This is on par or even better than coffee. The nootropic effect is almost instantaneous.

Can someone tell me where I can buy high purity methylene blue?
It can just raise Serotonin

allblues

Been dabbling with MB for about 3 weeks, been mostly a positive experience, but insomnia has been a thing 3 out of the last 5 days so i guess it’s time for a break. It has really done things for my fatigue though which I’ve struggled with over a year now. Also interest in things like music and people has been up which is big thing for me. Other oddities have been greatly increased nicotine tolerance, increased interest in food, especially pork cravings. (?) My hands and feet have been colder during MB use, especially with coffee. Writing this on iPhone in middle on of the night after failed attempt sleeping so spacing is probably dreadful. Really bummed on the insomnia, nothing previously tried has been this notably helpful. Wonder what might be causing it. EDIT; forgot dose, 0,5 mg at noon or earlier/day

Wagner83

[....]especially pork cravings. (?) My hands and feet have been colder during MB use, especially with coffee. Writing this on iPhone in middle on of the night after failed attempt sleeping so spacing is probably dreadful. Really bummed on the insomnia, nothing previously tried has been this notably helpful. Wonder what might be causing it. EDIT; forgot dose, 0,5 mg at noon or earlier/day
Could it be a need for b-vitamins? Colder hands and feet with more energy and insomnia don't particularly positive in Peat's world afaik. Haidut has said that MB builds up in the tissues efficiently so over time a small dose can do a lot. Out of curiosity do you get heavy limbs at times?

DaveFoster

I'm tempted to, I don't intend to name call, nor advice, Name call is probably the extreme, but an aggressive tone have its value

Because IRL socially you rely on body language, emotions etc. whatever you do and say you are held accountable to it by your peers in how they respond, there's a behavioral change which makes you well-adjusted.
A tad of aggression is a compressed package of valuable information on how to relate to what you're reading.

IRL name calling isn't necessary, you just give a side glance and that's it.
Online, reading forums becomes a habit, yada yada yada "Oh yeah this stuff can't be bad" when all you're presented with is one sided confirmation bias.
If concern is raised the discussion moves along too respectfully, it often take several pages, derails offtopics etc. most people skim that.. There are no RED FLAGS.

It's like trying to indirectly criticize someone. This is actually a current problem in kindergardens in Dk: too many women and women values, boys aren't allowed to be boys.
If one doesn't have the energy, time or interest in convincing people, name-calling can be useful, but it generally only works with previously garnered respect (from a demonstration of value.)

It's more of a late-game tactic in response to repeated annoyances or frustration due to a discrepancy in understanding. It's more productive to just provide links on the internet. "Here, read x."

allblues

Finally did fall asleep, yay! This taught me something about those sleep deprived renaissance men, I can see how staring up at a ceiling for hours might make one want to paint it.

@Wagner83 Yeah could be, the pork thing got me thinking about thiamine. I don't really feel heavy in the limbs as I assume that phrase is meant to describe it, but a general fatigue, brain fogginess, low muscle strength and exercise intolerance have been the hallmarks. This summer when I was feeling quite out of it for instance a friend and I while out at the countryside improvised some strength training on an old laundry hanger, but I couldn't manage even a single pull-up. MB was really good in that sense, I definitely have had more energy to do the usual small tasks, take walks, and not have it feel burdensome but like there's actually some spare energy there to use and enjoy.

If even these low doses inhibit MAO-A then the problems might just be a monoamine thing? Cold hands and insomnia might be adrenaline etc, I usually get the cold hands and feet to some degree just from coffee anyway, though I haven't felt especially anxious. Apparently not unheard of, however; Management of monoamine oxidase inhibitor-associated insomnia with trazodone. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

allblues

Been trying even lower dose MB these past few days, like 50 mcg doses. Insomnia keeps happening though, also some more weird symptoms, like feeling irritable, problems focusing on schoolwork, moments of holding my breath without noticing it and even dilated pupils!
Finally realized it was probably a serotonin thing all along, popped 1/8th of a cyproheptadine tablet which calmed some of the agitation down.
Don't really like the effect cypro has on me either though, kind of doughy and lobotomized feeling, but i'll take it over the agitation, anyway.

Serotonin feels like it can be a difficult thing, it seems to tweak and sometimes amplify emotions and creativity but then there's these weird side-effects when it gets out of whack.

So, word of caution to MB users with history of serotonergic drugs, or just in general, having cyproheptadine on hand could be a good idea. (which I guess many of us have anyway lol)

Watson350

Nitric Oxide protects against cellular damage and cytotoxicity in reactive oxygen species. Why is Methlyne Blue ideal especially for neuronal and cellular function?

vulture

MB seems to raise my pulse and give me a warm skin feeling, not sure of my temps, I have no thermometer yet...I've being trying around 2 to 5 mg a day

Heygrlhey

Methylene Blue in 1% milk + oj + GL Collagen Hydrosolate= Wow. WTF. Just great. I have been experimenting with Haiduts Oxidal for a few days now (between 3-7 drops a day) and will come back to you threefold if you cut out the coffee on those days. I did take a caffeine pill with it one day (250 mg) but frankly, with enough caloric intake(pretty much just oj and milk, between 2000-3000 calories worth) ..I have felt simply fantastic.

LeeLemonoil

Anticancer activity of methylene blue via inhibition of heat shock protein 70. - PubMed - NCBI

Anticancer activity of methylene blue via inhibition of heat shock protein 70.

INTRODUCTION:

Heat shock protein 70 (Hsp70) and heat shock protein 90 (Hsp90) chaperones are indispensable to lung cancer cells for their survival and proliferation. In this study we evaluated and compared anticancer potential of methylene blue (MB) as an Hsp70 inhibitor, novobiocin (NB) a well-known Hsp90 inhibitor and their combination.
METHODS:

In vitro evaluation was done by cell viability assays, fluorescent staining, and flow cytometry analysis using A549 non-small cell lung cancer cells. In vivo anticancer activity was investigated by evaluating oxidative stress, tumor biomarkers, weight, lung microarchitecture, and Hsp70 and Hsp90 inhibitions via immunoblotting in benzo[a]pyrene induced lung carcinogenesis mice model.
RESULTS:

Using A549 NSCLC cells, we found MB demonstrated lower cell viability versus NB. Together, MB + NB resulted in further decrease in cell viability. SRB assay revealed significantly superior and similar potency for MB versus NB and MB + NB (1:1) versus MB, respectively. Fluorescent staining and flow cytometry analysis displayed early apoptosis by MB (11.4%); early and late apoptosis by MB + NB (13.8%). In vivo, MB significantly inhibited Hsp70. Furthermore, MB significantly alleviated tumor biomarkers (ADA and LDH) and improved lung histopathological features more than NB. Additionally, MB significantly improved SOD, not more than MB + NB or NB and improved LPO.
CONCLUSION:

MB demonstrated potent anticancer activity in vitro and in vivo via inhibition of Hsp70 in benzo[a]pyrene induced lung carcinogenesis in mice.

LeeLemonoil

Research and synthesis of lipophilic MB analouges has seen some progress recently, might be interesting:

Lipophilic methylene violet analogues as modulators of mitochondrial function and dysfunction.

In an effort to identify methylene blue analogues having improved antioxidant activity, a series of new methylene violet analogues have been designed and synthesized. The analogues were prepared following a synthetic route that is more efficient than the previously reported methods, both in terms of yield and purity of the final products. The route involves the Smiles rearrangement as one of the crucial steps. Smiles rearrangement of suitably substituted diphenyl sulfide intermediates afforded the corresponding phenothiazine analogues in high yields, which were subsequently converted to the final products. The methylene violet analogues were evaluated for their ability to preserve mitochondrial function in Friedreich's ataxia (FRDA) lymphocytes. The analogues were shown to be efficient ROS scavengers, and able to protect cultured FRDA lymphocytes from oxidative stress resulting from inhibition of complex I. The analogues also preserved mitochondrial membrane potential and augmented ATP production. The analogues were found to be better antioxidants than the parent compounds methylene blue and methylene violet.

Lipophilic methylene blue analogues enhance mitochondrial function and increase frataxin levels in a cellular model of Friedreich's ataxia. - PubMed - NCBI

Lipophilic methylene blue analogues enhance mitochondrial function and increase frataxin levels in a cellular model of Friedreich's ataxia.

Abstract
Friedreich's ataxia (FRDA) is an autosomal recessive neurodegenerative disorder resulting from reduced expression of the protein frataxin (FXN). Although its function is not fully understood, frataxin appears to help assemble iron sulfur clusters; these are critical for the function of many proteins, including those needed for mitochondrial energy production. Finding ways to increase FXN levels has been a major therapeutic strategy for this disease. Previously, we described a novel series of methylene violet analogues and their structural optimization as potential therapeutic agents for neurodegenerative and mitochondrial disorders. Presently, a series of methylene blue analogues has been synthesized and characterized for their in vitro biochemical and biological properties in cultured Friedreich's ataxia lymphocytes. Favorable methylene blue analogues were shown to increase frataxin levels and mitochondrial biogenesis, and to improve aconitase activity. The analogues were found to be good ROS scavengers, and able to protect cultured FRDA lymphocytes from oxidative stress resulting from inhibition of complex I and from glutathione depletion. The analogues also preserved mitochondrial membrane potential and augmented ATP production. Our results suggest that analogue 5, emerging from the initial structure of the parent compound methylene blue (MB), represents a promising lead structure and lacks the cytotoxicity associated with the parent compound MB.

LeeLemonoil

Methylene blue offers neuroprotection after intracerebral hemorrhage in rats through the PI3K/Akt/GSK3β signaling pathway. - PubMed - NCBI

Methylene blue offers neuroprotection after intracerebral hemorrhage in rats through the PI3K/Akt/GSK3β signaling pathway.

Inflammation and apoptosis are two key factors contributing to secondary brain injury after intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH). In the present study, we explored the neuroprotective role of methylene blue (MB) in ICH rats and studied the potential mechanisms involved. Rats were subjected to local injection of collagenase IV in the striatum or sham surgery. We observed that MB treatment could exert a neuroprotective effect on ICH by promoting neurological scores, decreasing the brain water content, alleviating brain-blood barrier disruption, and improving the histological damages in the perihematomal areas. Furthermore, we demonstrated that the various mechanisms underlying MB's neuroprotective effects linked to inhibited apoptosis and inhibited neuroinflammation. In addition, wortmannin, a selective inhibitor of phosphoinositide 3-kinase (PI3K), could reverse the antiapoptotic and anti-inflammatory effects of MB, which suggested that the PI3K-Akt pathway played an important role. In conclusion, these data suggested that MB could inhibit apoptosis and ameliorate neuroinflammation after ICH, and its neuroprotective effects might be exerted via the activation of the PI3K/Akt/GSK3β pathway.

LeeLemonoil

Methylene blue exerts rapid neuroprotective effects on lipopolysaccharide-induced behavioral deficits in mice. - PubMed - NCBI

Methylene blue exerts rapid neuroprotective effects on lipopolysaccharide-induced behavioral deficits in mice.

Depression is a recurrent neuropsychiatric disorder accompanied with other behavioral deficits, including memory impairment. A few studies have shown that methylene blue (MB) could promote cortical neurogenesis and exert neuroprotective effects on various brain diseases, including bipolar disorder. However, the potential antidepressant effects of MB have not been fully investigated. The present study was designed to investigate the effects of MB pretreatment on behavioral deficits and the underlying mechanisms in a lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced depression mouse model. Mice were given saline (5 mL/kg) or MB (5, 20 mg/kg) intraperitoneally (i.p.) 30 min prior to lipopolysaccharide (LPS, 800 μg/kg, i.p.) or the following behavioral tests. Thereafter, serum heme oxygenase 1(HO1) were determined by ELISA. The results showed that LPS significantly induced body weight loss and behavioral deficits that included increased floating time in the forced swimming test, increased immobility time in the tail suspension test, decreased sucrose preference in the sucrose preference test, and memory impairment in the novel object recognition (all p < 0.05) when compared with that of LPS-free mice. MB treatment significantly blocked most of these behavioral deficits induced by LPS when compared with that of mice in LPS-exposed groups. Furthermore, MB pretreatment prevented the LPS-induced decrease in serum level of HO1. These findings suggested that MB exerts rapidly neuroprotective effects in an LPS-induced depression mouse model, which may be involved in its regulation on the peripheral HO system.

Dave Clark

This may be the wrong thread for this,but does anyone know how much methylene blue can be put in a skin lotion for the face, etc.? In other words, is there a DIY lotion where you can take a base cream and add a certain amount of drops to give you what they used in the anti-aging studies for skin? I use methylene blue straight a few days/week at low dose, but I was interested in trialing the MB skin cream for a face cream. If anyone has a recipe, please forward.

LeeLemonoil

5.0 micro mol was the highest effective dose in the skincare studies, above is detrimental. 2.5mM was roughly the most effective concentration.
Buy a high quality MB solution like from Health Natura, Ideallabs or Mitolab and add it to a cream. MB is water soluble and can easily be mixed into water based creams/emulsion. But you need to calculate the concentration. Physiologyweb or sigam have good calculators. Only iniscule amounts are needed!