Methylene Blue Induced Serotonin Syndrome At 400mcg Dose

jyb

hello all,

i finally tested MB, one damn drop in my coffee at 400mcg dose. for next 36 hours or so i had high body temps (38 to 39), headaches, nausea, light headed, dizzy, spaced out etc - all the symptoms of serotonin syndrome.

question is why would i get it at such a ridiculously low dose? i thought ppl generally take it at 1mg to 15mg. i think that dose would literally kill me (given how high my temps were already going)

Is your MB source decent? There are MB sources not intended for human consumptions that are dangerously impure.

lampofred

This happens to me whenever I stop taking MB for a couple of weeks at a time and then restart. It only lasts for one day though and then goes away, by the third day I can take 20-30 drops and feel absolutely nothing.

I have no definite idea what the cause is, but my guess is that MB is causing rapid oxidation of stray electrons. So if your NADH pool is built up, you will have these reactions, but once everything is oxidized to NAD, you no longer will. So I don't think it's due to serotonin excess, in fact probably the opposite. It's doing a good thing by taking you out of a reduced state.

Beefcake

hello all,

i finally tested MB, one damn drop in my coffee at 400mcg dose. for next 36 hours or so i had high body temps (38 to 39), headaches, nausea, light headed, dizzy, spaced out etc - all the symptoms of serotonin syndrome.

question is why would i get it at such a ridiculously low dose? i thought ppl generally take it at 1mg to 15mg. i think that dose would literally kill me (given how high my temps were already going)

Have you replicated it? How can you tell for sure it was MB. Ive used much higher doses didnt feel a thing

mrchibbs

I bought mine from health natura.

For what it's worth I also use health natura without any issues. It can raise temperature but it is pro metabolic so.
I think Georgi (haidut) has mentioned that you shouldn't take it with aged cheeses or something.

I personally take in water or juice outside of meals and it's very nice.

Fetch

Something similar happened to me. I was taking a very low dose of the Idea labs product around 3 years ago and on the first day started getting a headache, figured no big deal and continued on with it. Next symptom was an extremely tight upper back right between my shoulder blades. I still kept going stayed at a low dose and figured it would pass. Within about 4 days I ended up with very high blood pressure (190/120) a migraine, high temperature (103), full body twitches and couldn't sleep for for 2 days. I had Cypro on hand and ended up taking around 12 mg 4 times a day to help, it took around a week to resolve.

I probably could have gone to an ER but was too stubborn. I have been told this couldn't be serotonin syndrome on this forum but I don't know what else it could be. I will say my libido was out of control and I needed to masturbate many times a day which is not normal or desirable for me and I would doubt it is consistent with extremely high serotonin, so maybe it could have something to do with extremely high dopamine. Don't really know what happened but I have stayed clear of MB ever since.

inthedark

I nearly always get a headache within a few hours to half a day after taking MB. This even after taking it for days in a row to attempt to get through the effect. However, this only happened to me with the Bluebrainboost MB. The Health Natura MB I had before that didn't provoke any issues.

So perhaps the BBB product has some impurity that doesn't work for me, or something changed that would cause me to start reacting differently to MB in the interim between taking the HN and BBB products.

iPeat

I nearly always get a headache within a few hours to half a day after taking MB. This even after taking it for days in a row to attempt to get through the effect. However, this only happened to me with the Bluebrainboost MB. The Health Natura MB I had before that didn't provoke any issues.

So perhaps the BBB product has some impurity that doesn't work for me, or something changed that would cause me to start reacting differently to MB in the interim between taking the HN and BBB products.

I got the headache effects at 300mcg with the Health Natura stuff. It always happened after a few days of working up to 300mcg.

I've been attempting another go at MB now and I've been working up really slow. Today I'm all the way up to 800 mcg (split into 2 doses - morning/afternoon), and have not gotten the headache yet. I do feel a little pressure behind my eyes but nothing intolerable. This is by far the highest dose I've been able to handle.

I've made at least a dozen attempts at taking MB with no success. For some reason I'm tolerating it now. Always used the same product (Health Natura). I'm hoping to get up to 1mg and stay there for an extended period.

SOMO

IMO if you take MB, you should stay out of the sunlight/bright lights.

I only get a headache from MB if I go out in the sun. I think it makes you more prone to sunburn as well.

iPeat

So I switched from Health Natura to Oxidal. There's something up with the Health Natura stuff. I think it's either a dosing issue or contamination. The HN is a much darker blue at the same dose. I'd guess 4x darker. I switched to Oxidal and just took 1.6mg (4 drops) this morning and have zero negative side effects.

The picture shows HN at 400mcg on the left vs Oxidal 400mcg on the right. Something is up and I'd have to guess it's HN stuff based on my side effects.

20190727_104706.jpg

SOMO

So I switched from Health Natura to Oxidal. There's something up with the Health Natura stuff. I think it's either a dosing issue or contamination. The HN is a much darker blue at the same dose. I'd guess 4x darker. I switched to Oxidal and just took 1.6mg (4 drops) this morning and have zero negative side effects.

The picture shows HN at 400mcg on the left vs Oxidal 400mcg on the right. Something is up and I'd have to guess it's HN stuff based on my side effects.

View attachment 14237

Lighter blue would imply weaker (less concentrated) and thus less likely to cause serotonin syndrome than a higher (darker) dose.

iPeat

Lighter blue would imply weaker (less concentrated) and thus less likely to cause serotonin syndrome than a higher (darker) dose.

Right. The problem is that's supposedly the same amount of MB from two different companies. So there's either way more in HN's product or it's contaminated, making it appear darker. Or there's less MB in Oxidal's product but I tend not to believe that.

So the negative effects people are getting from MB, myself included, could be brand-specific.

postman

I think Ray recommended to not take more than like 50-100 mcg? It raises serotonin at higher doses. I doubt you would get serotonin syndrome that quick though, unless you're also taking an SSRI or something like that.

Gone Peating

Right. The problem is that's supposedly the same amount of MB from two different companies. So there's either way more in HN's product or it's contaminated, making it appear darker. Or there's less MB in Oxidal's product but I tend not to believe that.

So the negative effects people are getting from MB, myself included, could be brand-specific.

There are other ingredients in oxidal than MB and they could be affecting the color maybe

iPeat

There are other ingredients in oxidal than MB and they could be affecting the color maybe

It's such a small amount that there's no way it could dilute it enough. It's technically the same amount of MB even though I'm using 4 drops of HN's vs. 1 drop of Oxidal. Its 400 mcg of MB either way. Unless the caffeine or benzoic acid somehow effect the "blueness" of MB in some way.

I also took a picture of what I thought was a subjective "equal dose" and it only took 1 drop of HN's MB to match the color of Oxidal's.

20190727_111825.jpg

Sorry for derailing this thread. I'll shut up about the product discrepancies now.

TripleOG

@iPeat

Search the forum. Haidut has discussed why Oxidal may appear lighter in color. IIRC, has to do with the MB reacting with the benzoic acid. You'll still get the effects from the MB.

It's similar to when MB reacts with ascorbic acid. Solution becomes clear, but you still get the effects from both.

iPeat

@iPeat

Search the forum. Haidut has discussed why Oxidal may appear lighter in color. IIRC, has to do with the MB reacting with the benzoic acid. You'll still get the effects from the MB.

It's similar to when MB reacts with ascorbic acid. Solution becomes clear, but you still get the effects from both.

Thank you much.

Again, sorry for the derailing.

magnesiumania

I think Ray recommended to not take more than like 50-100 mcg? It raises serotonin at higher doses. I doubt you would get serotonin syndrome that quick though, unless you're also taking an SSRI or something like that.

So do i dilute my drop (400mcg) in a full glass of water and just take a sip for a start??

iPeat

So do i dilute my drop (400mcg) in a full glass of water and just take a sip for a start??

I would put a drop in water and split into 4, so you're getting 100 mcg at first. For months I tried to reach 400 mcg. I could only handle 200 mcg at first, and got stuck at 300 mcg for a long time. Eventually I switched to Oxidal, and was able to surpass the 300 mcg, and take a full drop. I'm up to 1.6 mg (4 drops) every morning and I plan on staying on that dose for the long-term. For me, I'm not sure if it was an issue with the product or if my body finally started accepting it. I would start slow and work your way up.

magnesiumania

I would put a drop in water and split into 4, so you're getting 100 mcg at first. For months I tried to reach 400 mcg. I could only handle 200 mcg at first, and got stuck at 300 mcg for a long time. Eventually I switched to Oxidal, and was able to surpass the 300 mcg, and take a full drop. I'm up to 1.6 mg (4 drops) every morning and I plan on staying on that dose for the long-term. For me, I'm not sure if it was an issue with the product or if my body finally started accepting it. I would start slow and work your way up.

I didnt feel anything at ca 100mcg so i drank the whole glass and felt a little bit more relaxed sort of.....