Methylene Blue Bought From Aquarium-shop Ok To Use?

Vinero

My Oxidal is almost through and haiduts store is down.. Any reason why methylene blue for fish bought from the aquarium shop would be bad to use?

tankasnowgod

It would depend on the formulation of the particular product, but many people use the Kordon product.

Gl;itch.e

I have had no problems with my petshop MB and as an added bonus my gill flukes have disappeared!

M

marikay

I use Kordon. It works just fine. I'm not completely sure on the dosing though.

tara

I have had no problems with my petshop MB and as an added bonus my gill flukes have disappeared!
Great! I was wondering what to do about them.

squanch

Not sure where you live, but I was able to buy the pure powder in a pharmacy (germany). Couldn't find any aquarium methylene blue without weird additives.

ken

I think kordon is about a milligram a drop. lately I've been using two drops.

Ideonaut

I think kordon is about a milligram a drop. lately I've been using two drops.
thnx. I found the Kordon directions on another thread:
Here’s a dead simple way to take it. Take one DROP from the Kordon 2.3% methylene blue solution and put it in a 1 ounce tincture bottle. Fill the tincture bottle with water and shake. My sweet spot is 10 drops, which is roughly 30mcg, give or take 5 mcg. I usually need 1/2 of the dose that others need, so it would make sense that 60mcg(~20 drops) is a sweet spot for others and this is indeed the suggested dosage for nootropic usage. Each drop from that diluted solution should equal 2.8-3.9mcg*(scroll to the bottom). I would suggest to start with 5 drops from this diluted solution to test for a reaction and increase by 5 drops after each subsequent use until you get 15-20 drops. Adjust up or down based on preference and usage. For example, if you take 20 drops or a dropperful and don’t feel anything, take 25 drops. If you feel tired after taking 20 then take 15 drops.
Basis for this dosing:
The base solution is 2.3% methylene blue, which means that it has 2.3g per 100ml of solution, or 23mg per 1 ml solution or 2.3 mg per drop(20 drops in a ml). Since there’s 29.5 ml in an ounce and assuming 20 drops per a ml, there’s approximately 590 drops in ounce. So 2300mcg/590=3.9mcg per a drop.
For a 1% methylene blue solution:
1g per 100ml=10mg/ml. 500mcg per drop. 5 drops =2500mcg/590 drops in an oz=4.2mcg per drop
In this case, instead of adding 1 drop, add 5 drops from the starting solution and fill a 1 ounce tincture bottle. Start with 5 drops from this diluted solution to test for reaction and increase by 5 drops after each subsequent use until you get to 15 or 20 drops, just like before.

ken

Wouldn't 23mg per 1ml solution give you 1.15 mg per drop?

I don't take MB that often. I do it when I'm not feeling well, and it seems to help. Kardon is fine.

cdan1

If you read that study carefully it's not as damning as you think.
Also I'd be concerned about this jyb*
I've seen the exact worded post in another forum. The person was selling there methylene blue product

Tiffany

thnx. I found the Kordon directions on another thread:
Here’s a dead simple way to take it. .."

I found this on longecity: "According to Kordon's instructions, a teaspoon in 10 gallons would yield 3 ppm of MB. This means that 2.303% is not a % mass and is actually a molar %. Those dosing with MB according to these instructions will be dosing almost 18x higher than they realize, potentially posing a problem in serotonin toxicity and cardiovascular side effects. Actual concentration is 409mg of MB per 1 mL." Does anyone intelligent and learned in chemistry agree?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals