Methylene Blue (and Riboflavin) Art

lindsay

This morning I was dropping Methylene Blue in my bath water (no idea why, but.....), and I found myself mesmerized by how it floated and dispersed in the water. Having played photographically with food coloring and oil in water, this was interesting because the float was very gradual and slow in comparison.

And then I added some Riboflavin to the mix and it was just wonderful. This would have been better if I'd used a fish tank instead of a jar - next time.

So if you are looking for something to do with old supplements that are just sitting in the refrigerator, here is one idea.

Happy Friday everyone!

Attachments

• 0W7A5934.jpg
    0W7A5934.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 0W7A5937.jpg
    0W7A5937.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 0W7A5920.jpg
    0W7A5920.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 0W7A5902.jpg
    0W7A5902.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 0W7A5906.jpg
    0W7A5906.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 211
  • 0W7A5918.jpg
    0W7A5918.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 198
  • 0W7A5921.jpg
    0W7A5921.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 0W7A5927.jpg
    0W7A5927.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 0W7A5936.jpg
    0W7A5936.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 0W7A5929 smaller.jpg
    0W7A5929 smaller.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 168

Tarmander

I was about to come in and warn you of the dangers of taking significant amounts of MB and B2 and the oxidative stress therein. But I was pleasantly surprised. I am sure if you sent these to Ray or Danny or someone who has a monthly so and so, this would work great at a backdrop or cover photo or whatnot. I would use 5902.

jaguar43

I was about to come in and warn you of the dangers of taking significant amounts of MB and B2 and the oxidative stress therein. But I was pleasantly surprised. I am sure if you sent these to Ray or Danny or someone who has a monthly so and so, this would work great at a backdrop or cover photo or whatnot. I would use 5902.

Is there evidence that taking b2 and MB to be problematic ?

Tarmander

Is there evidence that taking b2 and MB to be problematic ?

400mg of B2 and .800 mcg of MB per day gave me the worst insomnia I have ever had after a few months. They both have problems causing oxidative stress, that is easily found. I found they exacerbate each other.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

400mg of B2 and .800 mcg of MB per day gave me the worst insomnia I have ever had after a few months. They both have problems causing oxidative stress, that is easily found. I found they exacerbate each other.

400 mg of B2 is a MASSIVE amount. Especially considering that the maximum recommended dose is like 5 mg per day. I have a friend who tried to take B2 to keep mosquitoes at bay and she said it gave her a terrible couple days of stomach ache and migraines. Considering most supplements for B2 are way above normal dosages, this doesn't surprise me. I had the same experience with powdered taurine and I am still afraid of it. I never take MB - when I have taken it, it made me constipated. That's a problem for me with most anti-serotonin supplements - they bind me up. Espresso and dairy are my best B2 sources and I end up at around 2 mg per day. That seems plenty for me.

Tarmander

400 mg of B2 is a MASSIVE amount. Especially considering that the maximum recommended dose is like 5 mg per day. I have a friend who tried to take B2 to keep mosquitoes at bay and she said it gave her a terrible couple days of stomach ache and migraines. Considering most supplements for B2 are way above normal dosages, this doesn't surprise me. I had the same experience with powdered taurine and I am still afraid of it. I never take MB - when I have taken it, it made me constipated. That's a problem for me with most anti-serotonin supplements - they bind me up. Espresso and dairy are my best B2 sources and I end up at around 2 mg per day. That seems plenty for me.

Yeah it is a lot, especially according to Ray. Outside of Ray, that amount is often recommended to treat migraines, and usually for at least several months. In other words, I did not think it was that out of the ordinary, like taking a gram of Caffeine at a time or something like that. I knew people who had taken Riboflavin in those quantities for a good amount of time and come out the other end. So I went into it not thinking it would be all that bad.

marteagal

I instantly fell in love with your photographs and downloaded all of them. Thanks for sharing!!

With regard to B2 and mosquitoes: Does B2 help your friend? It's just because I remember a recent discussion on B1 and mosquito bites:
David PS said:
A study back in the 1940s indicated that taking vitamin B1 (thiamine) may be effective in discouraging mosquitoes from biting. However, studies since then have been inconclusive.

The theory is, taking more vitamin B1 than your body requires causes the excess to be excreted through your urine, skin, and sweat. Vitamin B1 produces a skin odor that female mosquitoes seem to find offensive. There are some reports of B1 working for people at Natural Mosquito Repellants - The People's Pharmacy

So both B1 and B2 are supposed to work?