Methylene Blue And Digestive Distress

Clea

Hi guys,

I am experimenting with MB for increase in energy but am experiencing digestive distress. I started taking orally but stopped and then waited a few months and now started transdermally. I am having some cramping and general discomfort like I’ve eaten a food I’m intolerant to.

I know it’s antimicrobial, and I have SIBO and candidia, however any other microbial I’ve taken usually relives digestive upset instead of increasing it. If it’s a die off reaction I will happily continue but I don’t want to kill off any of my commensal bacteria (as I’m pretty sure I don’t have enough of those!)

Would love some thoughts/experiences? TY

Jib

Hi guys,

I am experimenting with MB for increase in energy but am experiencing digestive distress. I started taking orally but stopped and then waited a few months and now started transdermally. I am having some cramping and general discomfort like I’ve eaten a food I’m intolerant to.

I know it’s antimicrobial, and I have SIBO and candidia, however any other microbial I’ve taken usually relives digestive upset instead of increasing it. If it’s a die off reaction I will happily continue but I don’t want to kill off any of my commensal bacteria (as I’m pretty sure I don’t have enough of those!)

What dosage are you taking?

I haven't started methylene blue yet, but apparently Ray Peat said he thought that 20 or 30 or 40 micrograms would be an optimal dose:

Ray Peat’s Methylene Blue Experience, And Optimal Dose Of Methylene Blue According To Ray Peat

Many people here are taking much higher doses, well into the multi-milligram range. If you're taking such higher doses, maybe that's a cause of your issue.

Methylene Blue: Upgrade Your Brain For Pennies - Brain Health

According to that, if you're using Kordon methylene blue, you can put 1 drop of it in a 1oz tincture bottle with water. Ten drops should give you around 30mcg.

I was thinking of trying such a low dose myself and seeing if I notice anything. If you try a lower dose and the digestive issues stop, let us know.

Vinny

Hi guys,

Not very experienced with MB, but will chime in anyway.
I also notice sometimes adigestive upset from it, in doses up from 1 mg approximately. Don,t think however it,s a die off - pimples grow the same, etc. This is discouraging, but I hope my body will eventually adapt, so to get its full antimicrobial effect. Will upping it slowly.

Try lower dosage.

schultz

Possibly a serotonin reaction?

I was messing around with MB the other month and I kept increasing the dosage to see what effects would be. 2mg was fine but 4mg gave me an insane headache for a few hours, which was probably because of serotonin (just guessing).

Serotonin can be involved in gut issues.

Vinny

Possibly a serotonin reaction?
Very possible.
But why? Could be that MB kills some pathogens, and the die off raises the serotonin?

Vinny

I think it's a MAO inhibitor.
Yes, it is. Then, what do you think about reducing the serotonin effect from MB with serotonin antagonists of some sort?

schultz

Yes, it is. Then, what do you think about reducing the serotonin effect from MB with serotonin antagonists of some sort?

That seems reasonable if you want to take high doses for some reason. Is there any reason why it shouldn't be combined with Cyproheptadine? That might be a nice combination for preventing the flu or something.

tara

I don't know what's going on for you, but one possible line to consider is that if you increase metabolism, then you generally increase the need for nutrition. If you are borderline deficient in something to begin with, raising metabolism can tip it over the edge.
Maybe tot up a few days eating in cronometer or similar and see roughly what nutrition you are getting from your food?
My recent experience with cramps (not abdominal recently) is that mineral balance seems important. Salt/Na and Mg at least, maybe also Ca and K.
[ETA:] As well as maintaining blood sugars/sufficient food.

Last edited:

Vinny

That seems reasonable if you want to take high doses for some reason. Is there any reason why it shouldn't be combined with Cyproheptadine? That might be a nice combination for preventing the flu or something.
Yes, I want to try high doses of MB, but never used Cyproheptadine, nor any other serotonin antagonist so far (the topic is new for me).
In the near future, I,ll experiment with ginger and Ondansetron, but for the moment I,m just speculating.

Vinny

SB4

Haidut says MB with 5-20mg B2 is perfect for offsetting this MAO effect.
When I was taking MB (1mg) last year over a peroid of a few months I got quite bad eye sensitivity. I was taking 100mg B2 at night to offset the MAO but it didn't make a difference. I am currently doing 100mg B2 with no MB and no eye sensitivity.

I am assuming this eye sensitivity was from serotonin / too little MAO but I am not sure. I am also taking low dose mirtazapine (7.5mg) which supposedly doesn't have serotonin complications but that is probably also a factor.

Scenes

When I was taking MB (1mg) last year over a peroid of a few months I got quite bad eye sensitivity. I was taking 100mg B2 at night to offset the MAO but it didn't make a difference. I am currently doing 100mg B2 with no MB and no eye sensitivity.

I am assuming this eye sensitivity was from serotonin / too little MAO but I am not sure. I am also taking low dose mirtazapine (7.5mg) which supposedly doesn't have serotonin complications but that is probably also a factor.

Sounds reasonable. Peat has also said 20mg max of B2 else you risk issues with sensitivity to light.

SB4

Sounds reasonable. Peat has also said 20mg max of B2 else you risk issues with sensitivity to light.
Interesting, perhaps the 100mg dose was causing small sensitivity and the MB amplified it. Maybe I should try MB again but with 10mg Ribo.

mrseb

does methylene blue already slow down your transit?
I have a very good effect on energy and morale with 0.5 mg to 1 mg but I have the impression that it slowed down my transit.

Catheryn

I started MB last week and was taking 400 to 800 mcg's per day diluted. After several days, I developed a constant digestive pain in my stomach lining. It is decreasing day by day after stopping MB. I find that it really helps my brain function enormously, so I'd like to try it transdermally. Anyone have advice on where to dose it? Should it go over a vein or in fat tissue. Also, does it matter which type of carrier oil to use? I believe the reason it causes distress to stomach has to do with how caustic it is. Gut lining is very sensitive and can be destroyed quite easily. Any thoughts?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals