1. Spring Sale 10% Off @ LifeGivingStore.com Till June 10th With Coupon Code: SPRING2020
    Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. LifeGivingStore.com New Products List:
    Natural Dessicated Thyroid

Magnesium Hydroxide

Dismiss Notice

Methylene Blue And Cyproheptadine?

Discussion in 'Methylene Blue' started by Steveig84, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Steveig84

Steveig84 Member

Hey Guys,

Anyone have any information on the combination of low dose Methylene Blue (2 drop Oxidal) and low does Cyproheptadin 2-4mg taken on the same day not at the same time? any reason to avoid this?

2. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

You are not supposed to take them together, because methylene blue is an MAO inhibitor, and ciproheptidine is to be avoided when you're taking an MAO inhibitor.

3. OP
    Steveig84

Steveig84 Member

thanks for clearing that up, this is what i thought i just wanted to check i was understanding what i was reading correctly!

4. haidut

haidut Member

The avoidance of taking cyproheptadine with MAO-A inhibitors is because cyproheptadine will lower/eliminate the effects of the MAO-A inhibitors, which is considered undesirable by doctors but is exactly what you want in this case.

5. OP
    Steveig84

Steveig84 Member

Haidut are you saying there is nothing to worry about? what do you mean with in this case? because of the low dosage or because of the reason behind the MB/ Cypro usage? as i understand it the MAO-A inhibitory effect of MB isn't the important mechanism in the context of raising metabolism.

6. haidut

haidut Member

What I am saying is that it is exactly the opposition of cyproheptadine to MAO-A inhibition that makes it desirable to take with MB. Riboflavin may be a safer choice since MAO-A is a riboflavin dependent enzyme and taking riboflavin may negate the inhibitory effects of MB on MAO-A.

7. johnwester130

johnwester130 Member

methylene blue inhibits MAO

cypro promotes MAO

what happens ?

8. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Writer
    @Such_Saturation Thinks that methylene blue potentiates the anti-histamine effect of cyproheptadine, which can lower blood pressure. Do you think this is an issue in sub-milligram doses, or do you stand by your previous post?

9. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Wha- :shock: (sorry, my memory not so good)

10. haidut

haidut Member

Methylene blue is known to raise blood pressure, and in fact this is why a lot of people do not want to use it. I think you'd need a dose of 5mg or more per pop to get this effect but even 1mg dose can do it sometimes. Things that oppose NO can initially raise blood pressure. I still think the advice for not takin MB with cypro is due to their perceived mutual antagonism in regards to the serotonin system.

11. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Writer
    I see; it should be fine then. I've taken both in the past with no ill effects.

12. LeeLemonoil

LeeLemonoil Member