Methylene Blue And Cyproheptadine?

Steveig84

Hey Guys,

Anyone have any information on the combination of low dose Methylene Blue (2 drop Oxidal) and low does Cyproheptadin 2-4mg taken on the same day not at the same time? any reason to avoid this?

You are not supposed to take them together, because methylene blue is an MAO inhibitor, and ciproheptidine is to be avoided when you're taking an MAO inhibitor.

OP
S

Steveig84

thanks for clearing that up, this is what i thought i just wanted to check i was understanding what i was reading correctly!

haidut

Forum Supporter
You are not supposed to take them together, because methylene blue is an MAO inhibitor, and ciproheptidine is to be avoided when you're taking an MAO inhibitor.

The avoidance of taking cyproheptadine with MAO-A inhibitors is because cyproheptadine will lower/eliminate the effects of the MAO-A inhibitors, which is considered undesirable by doctors but is exactly what you want in this case.

Last edited:
OP
S

Steveig84

Haidut are you saying there is nothing to worry about? what do you mean with in this case? because of the low dosage or because of the reason behind the MB/ Cypro usage? as i understand it the MAO-A inhibitory effect of MB isn't the important mechanism in the context of raising metabolism.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Haidut are you saying there is nothing to worry about? what do you mean with in this case? because of the low dosage or because of the reason behind the MB/ Cypro usage? as i understand it the MAO-A inhibitory effect of MB isn't the important mechanism in the context of raising metabolism.

What I am saying is that it is exactly the opposition of cyproheptadine to MAO-A inhibition that makes it desirable to take with MB. Riboflavin may be a safer choice since MAO-A is a riboflavin dependent enzyme and taking riboflavin may negate the inhibitory effects of MB on MAO-A.

johnwester130

methylene blue inhibits MAO

cypro promotes MAO

what happens ?

DaveFoster

The avoidance of taking cyproheptadine with MAO-A inhibitors is because cyrpoheptadine will lower/eliminate the effects of the MAO-A inhibitors, which is considered undesirable by doctors but is exactly what you can in this case.
@Such_Saturation Thinks that methylene blue potentiates the anti-histamine effect of cyproheptadine, which can lower blood pressure. Do you think this is an issue in sub-milligram doses, or do you stand by your previous post?

@Such_Saturation Thinks that methylene blue potentiates the anti-histamine effect of cyproheptadine, which can lower blood pressure. Do you think this is an issue in sub-milligram doses, or do you stand by your previous post?

Wha- :shock: (sorry, my memory not so good)

haidut

Forum Supporter

Methylene blue is known to raise blood pressure, and in fact this is why a lot of people do not want to use it. I think you'd need a dose of 5mg or more per pop to get this effect but even 1mg dose can do it sometimes. Things that oppose NO can initially raise blood pressure. I still think the advice for not takin MB with cypro is due to their perceived mutual antagonism in regards to the serotonin system.

DaveFoster

Methylene blue is known to raise blood pressure, and in fact this is why a lot of people do not want to use it. I think you'd need a dose of 5mg or more per pop to get this effect but even 1mg dose can do it sometimes. Things that oppose NO can initially raise blood pressure. I still think the advice for not takin MB with cypro is due to their perceived mutual antagonism in regards to the serotonin system.
I see; it should be fine then. I've taken both in the past with no ill effects.

metamorph

Glad I found this post! If one takes Cypro & MB daily what would be the optimal way to dose it throughout the day? For instance, MB during the day and Cypro in the evening?

Mathgirl

@haidut .... So am I'm I right in concluding that MB may raise your blood pressure while cypro lowers it-Since the blood pressure thing isn't desirable for me, they potentially cancel each other out. I have taken them together in small amounts and don't notice any issue at all. Also it's my understanding that at higher doses, MB can raise serotonin. And Cypro lowers serotonin. Anyone know if I'm on track?