Methionine

InChristAlone

I'd like to know the risks of taking methionine. I seem to have trouble detoxifiying, I've never had genes tested but I'm probably one of those with MTHFR. Peat says this is a good thing because it lowers your cancer risk. But if you are not methylating very well how can you detoxify?

I am only asking because since I got my menstrual back 2.5 yrs ago I've struggled with anxiety and adrenaline rushes. I know someone who cured this issue with adrenaline by taking methionine. She said nothing else fixed it. Antihistamines brought down adrenaline for her, as they do for me, but I don't want to rely on a drug to mask my symptoms forever when I'm not dealing with root causes.
This is one of her quotes by the way: "One of my biggest health breakthroughs - and this is something that I struggled with for years - was starting a non Ray Peat approved supplement. It's been life changing for me and I know someone else in this group has benefited from it too. But I made a post about it and immediately someone commented with some scare story that had happened to their sister from taking the supplement or whatever. But I'm glad that I ignored that person."

I use progest-e after ovulation and that helps. I'm also managing symptoms with about 4 g vitamin C a day. And I'm on 0.5 mg cyproheptadine in the evening, can't take it during the day when symptoms are at their worst due to drowsiness.

Last edited:

Matt1951

Don't supplement methionine. I doubt your friend had good enough control of her diet/supplements/stress to really know that methionine solved her anxiety. Antihistamines would be a better choice. Better yet, try other ways to reduce your stress hormones. Follow the Ray Peat recommendations.

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

Don't supplement methionine. I doubt your friend had good enough control of her diet/supplements/stress to really know that methionine solved her anxiety. Antihistamines would be a better choice. Better yet, try other ways to reduce your stress hormones. Follow the Ray Peat recommendations.
My story is kinda complicated. I've been trying to reduce stress for a long time with Ray Peat stuff. I think my stress in general is low when I keep calories up, but something is causing reactions in my body, I believe part of it is histamine intolerance. Today I'm actually reacting with itchyness in my ears and throat after greek yogurt despite being on cypro for the last month. Unfortunately drugs are not curing the problem.

Queequeg

I agree with Matt. Methionine restriction is a proven anti-aging strategy so supplementing it may cause much more harm than good. I think you may want to look into adaptogens like rhodiola, ginseng, ashwaganda etc. They are clinically proven to help deal with stress.

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

I agree with Matt. Methionine restriction is a proven anti-aging strategy so supplementing it may cause much more harm than good. I think you may want to look into adaptogens like rhodiola, ginseng, ashwaganda etc. They are clinically proven to help deal with stress.
So what about the people who got benefits from methyl vitamins or SAMe? Do they go on to develop cancer despite feeling good? I haven't tried the herbs, but I am kinda sick of remedies.

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

Have you tried taurine and b6 before?
Yes I've taken taurine but not much lately. I have P5P but times I've tried to take it my dreams are wayyy too intense.

Queequeg

So what about the people who got benefits from methyl vitamins or SAMe? Do they go on to develop cancer despite feeling good? I haven't tried the herbs, but I am kinda sick of remedies.

Pet Peeve

I'd like to know the risks of taking methionine. I seem to have trouble detoxifiying, I've never had genes tested but I'm probably one of those with MTHFR. Peat says this is a good thing because it lowers your cancer risk. But if you are not methylating very well how can you detoxify?

I am only asking because since I got my menstrual back 2.5 yrs ago I've struggled with anxiety and adrenaline rushes. I know someone who cured this issue with adrenaline by taking methionine. She said nothing else fixed it. Antihistamines brought down adrenaline for her, as they do for me, but I don't want to rely on a drug to mask my symptoms forever when I'm not dealing with root causes.
This is one of her quotes by the way: "One of my biggest health breakthroughs - and this is something that I struggled with for years - was starting a non Ray Peat approved supplement. It's been life changing for me and I know someone else in this group has benefited from it too. But I made a post about it and immediately someone commented with some scare story that had happened to their sister from taking the supplement or whatever. But I'm glad that I ignored that person."

I use progest-e after ovulation and that helps. I'm also managing symptoms with about 4 g vitamin C a day. And I'm on 0.5 mg cyproheptadine in the evening, can't take it during the day when symptoms are at their worst due to drowsiness.

Almost a decade ago I complained to my then girlfriend that my hair was dry and she took me to a pharmacy to see what they had. The pharmacist gave me some vitamin complex thingy called Pilfood:

Per capsule:
Vitamin E (as d-alpha-tocopherol acetate prep) 3.0mg
Riboflavin (as Riboflavin Sodium Phosphate) 0.8mg
Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCL) 10mg
Biotin 0.2mg
Pantothenic Acid (as calcium pantothenate) 23mg
DL-Methionine 200mg
L-Cystine 105mg

After taking the pills for some days I noticed that all my anxieties were completely gone and replaced with an almost superhuman self confidence, I felt so clearheaded. I also had a constant energy that was on par with a small dose of amphetamine, but with no crash. Looking back I wonder if I might have been hypomanic. I have never felt so good in my entire life. It was like in the movie Limitless.

Slowly, after a year or two of this the pills stopped working and I became really sick. Bloodtests showed I had high homocysteine and the doctor gave me folate. I bought a big bag of dl-methionine from purebulk but it's not the same anymore.

Lately though, I have discovered that taurine now does the same thing for me. I tried taurine a few times before and didn't like it very much. I started taking it again recently because I was scared I might have taken too much vitamin a distilled from fish oil. The fish oil vitamin a didn't give me the hd vision that retinyl palmitate gives me but I don't tolerate the synthetic ones. After starting taurine I got the same hd vision effect as from the synthetic ones. Maybe it's just coincidence but maybe you need a healthy supply of vitamin a for taurine to work? Progesterone seems to combine very nicely too, taurine helps convert hormones.

I did the 23andme dna test, I'm an undermethylator but I never really got much help reading about and taking all these methylated vitamins and trying to correct the mthfr defect. On the other hand the dna test made me realise that I have a problem with breaking down stuff so that it accumulates, hormones and neutoransmitters and other chemicals. NAC and progesterone help a lot with this.

Dante

Why not simply eat a bit of muscle meat if you really need methionine (even eggs contain it) ? Why supplement ?

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

Why not simply eat a bit of muscle meat if you really need methionine (even eggs contain it) ? Why supplement ?
For people with histamine intolerance meat and eggs can be a trigger. I seem to do fine with chicken, so I'd get .7g from a serving of chicken. I also do yogurt and that gives .5g. I don't seem to tolerate a lot of protein though.

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

Almost a decade ago I complained to my then girlfriend that my hair was dry and she took me to a pharmacy to see what they had. The pharmacist gave me some vitamin complex thingy called Pilfood:

Per capsule:
Vitamin E (as d-alpha-tocopherol acetate prep) 3.0mg
Riboflavin (as Riboflavin Sodium Phosphate) 0.8mg
Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCL) 10mg
Biotin 0.2mg
Pantothenic Acid (as calcium pantothenate) 23mg
DL-Methionine 200mg
L-Cystine 105mg

After taking the pills for some days I noticed that all my anxieties were completely gone and replaced with an almost superhuman self confidence, I felt so clearheaded. I also had a constant energy that was on par with a small dose of amphetamine, but with no crash. Looking back I wonder if I might have been hypomanic. I have never felt so good in my entire life. It was like in the movie Limitless.

Slowly, after a year or two of this the pills stopped working and I became really sick. Bloodtests showed I had high homocysteine and the doctor gave me folate. I bought a big bag of dl-methionine from purebulk but it's not the same anymore.

Lately though, I have discovered that taurine now does the same thing for me. I tried taurine a few times before and didn't like it very much. I started taking it again recently because I was scared I might have taken too much vitamin a distilled from fish oil. The fish oil vitamin a didn't give me the hd vision that retinyl palmitate gives me but I don't tolerate the synthetic ones. After starting taurine I got the same hd vision effect as from the synthetic ones. Maybe it's just coincidence but maybe you need a healthy supply of vitamin a for taurine to work? Progesterone seems to combine very nicely too, taurine helps convert hormones.

I did the 23andme dna test, I'm an undermethylator but I never really got much help reading about and taking all these methylated vitamins and trying to correct the mthfr defect. On the other hand the dna test made me realise that I have a problem with breaking down stuff so that it accumulates, hormones and neutoransmitters and other chemicals. NAC and progesterone help a lot with this.
Thank-you for sharing, just what I need to hear, real world experiences with methylation. So maybe thats why I refuse to take it because I feel like it would be overstimulating. I know what hypomania kinda feels like, and I'd rather be tired to be honest. That type of energy always leads to a crash. I will try taurine again. And look into NAC.

Also I heard molybdenum can help with with histamine. @tyw Do you know anything about this?

Pet Peeve

@Janelle525 Personally molybdenum makes me irritable and dysphoric for days even after one dose of 150 mcg, I won't touch it.

Freshly squeezed orange juice contains 500 mg of vitamin c per quart, vitamin c is very antihistaminic. Freshly squeezed oj replaced the cetirizine I was taking daily for fifteen years. I think a pint two times a day is enough. You won't get any effect from store bought juice, you have to juice it yourself, and you can't take vitamin c as a supplement either. Peat has written a bit about this. Of course nothing will help except clarityn and zyrtec if you are always eating stuff you are allergic to.

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

@Janelle525 Personally molybdenum makes me irritable and dysphoric for days even after one dose of 150 mcg, I won't touch it.

Freshly squeezed orange juice contains 500 mg of vitamin c per quart, vitamin c is very antihistaminic. Freshly squeezed oj replaced the cetirizine I was taking daily for fifteen years. I think a pint two times a day is enough. You won't get any effect from store bought juice, you have to juice it yourself, and you can't take vitamin c as a supplement either. Peat has written a bit about this.
Oh yikes! Seems what works for one is poison for another! Yeah I always drank Simply Orange from the store, maybe why I've had anxiety attacks from it! Actually vitamin C is something I've been doing to keep reactions down, about 4 g a day. I know Peat says it is junk .

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals