Metformin Enhances Autophagy and Normalizes Mitochondrial Function to Alleviate Aging-Associated Inflammation

Tomaz26

Oh, sure you can. You've proven you are quite adept at overlooking studies just by your posts in this thread!

First, you overlooked the fact that the study posted in the OP was an in vitro study. Sure, they used human cells, but still, an in vitro study is always going to be less applicable to real living human beings than an in vivo study, even if such a study were done in rats or mice.

Second, you overlooked the studies talked about in NPR, bluezones.com and livescience links you posted, and instead appeared to rely on third party opinions about those studies from those organizations themselves. Why didn't you seek out the studies they mentioned, and post those links instead? You have access to tools like Pubmed and Google Scholar, just like the rest of us on this forum do.

Is it really third party opinions of studies that you can't overlook? Even when they come from organizations with an obvious bias like The American Heart Association? The AHA makes money in part by charging companies so that they can use the "heart check" logo on their product. At one time, even Cocoa Puffs had a heart check logo-

And the only true "study" you posted was a meta-analysis from Jama, and seeing as you just copied one of the first paragraphs, labeled "findings," I think it's highly likely you didn't read or understand this study, either. Or the fact that meta-analyses can be easily manipulated, simply by picking studies that seem to support your hypothesis.

If you want to post studies that are contrary to Peat's ideas, that's great, but I think you should have at least bothered to look at the "Materials and Methods" section of such a study, and reviewed the results. It's also helpful to write a few things about the study from your own understanding, and maybe some questions it raised. Just bulk posting studies you haven't read isn't helpful, and certainly doesn't prove anything.

Like I said I was posting from mobile phone, but I have interrest on those topic for a long time, read hundreds of books and research and have yet to find any research proving sugar and high GI and refined carb, refined grains are good. On the contrary each study that comes out proves what many studies before it proved and that is mediterranean diet, lots of movement, whole grains, fish etc are good. Sure there is evidence for just anything you look for, but there are now meta studies on those topics and show the same.. You maybe have one or two outliers and 100 showing the same..

Estimating impact of food choices on life expectancy: A modeling study​

Another one is fasting and intermitten fasting. I know RP forum is against it as it increases cortisol and is stressfull and what not, in theory, yet practice shows completely opposite. One can reverse diabetes with it, lower blood pressure, reverse insulin resistance, lower cholesterol, lower IGF1, etc etc.. A whole lot of positive outcomes when people try it.. Its not theory, its prooven in many studies..

tankasnowgod

Like I said I was posting from mobile phone, but I have interrest on those topic for a long time, read hundreds of books and research and have yet to find any research proving sugar and high GI and refined carb, refined grains are good. On the contrary each study that comes out proves what many studies before it proved and that is mediterranean diet, lots of movement, whole grains, fish etc are good. Sure there is evidence for just anything you look for, but there are now meta studies on those topics and show the same.. You maybe have one or two outliers and 100 showing the same..
Maybe you haven't searched the forum.

Haidut posted this study showing how eating an additional pound of sugar a day, in addition to a "healthy diet" can increase male fertility-

Here is an RCT showing that mineral retention is better when eating white rice than when eating brown rice-

An RCT will trump even "thousands" of uncontrolled observational studies or meta-analyses.

Estimating impact of food choices on life expectancy: A modeling study​

Even the title of this "study" tells you it's only a model. If you need confirmation, you just need to read the first line of the materials and methods-

Based on meta-analyses and data from the Global Burden of Disease study (2019), we used life table methodology to estimate how LE changes with sustained changes in the intake of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, refined grains, nuts, legumes, fish, eggs, milk/dairy, red meat, processed meat, and sugar-sweetened beverages.

Do you really think "estimates" are better than real world results?
Another one is fasting and intermitten fasting. I know RP forum is against it as it increases cortisol and is stressfull and what not, in theory, yet practice shows completely opposite.
Really? Did you do a bunch of IF while constantly monitoring your cortisol levels?

And also the "RP forum" isn't a thinking entity. It's made up of members with differing opinions. I would agree that most forum members tend to be against IF.

It will absolutely raise cortisol levels after you exhaust glycogen stores. If you aren't eating carbs or getting it from glycogen, the only option left is gluconeogenesis from amino acids. And those Amino Acids are going to liberated from muscle via increased cortisol levels. It's a mathematical and biological certainty, and no study can change that.
One can reverse diabetes with it, lower blood pressure, reverse insulin resistance, lower cholesterol, lower IGF1, etc etc.. A whole lot of positive outcomes when people try it.. Its not theory, its prooven in many studies..
Again, you need to post the actual studies and then analyze them. What time frames are we talking about here? Just one 19 hour fast? A week? A month? A year, or longer?

Prior to finding Peat, I engaged in IF quite a bit. I found the results amazing, at first. It really helped in losing weight, and energy was great. And it stayed that way for several months. It was about 8 months in that things started going not so well, and I eventually developed freezing cold hands and feet. So yeah, not so great in the long term. And certainly stressful.

Even Peat has suggested that fasting can have some benefits, like reduced endotoxin and serotonin. However, the damage it does will start to outweigh the benefits after glycogen stores are exhausted, which is likely about 24 hours in a healthy person, and shorter in people whose health is compromised.

If you really want to blindly follow mainstream ideas, I don't know why you are here. And saying "there are thousands of studies, this is proven" is just that. There are literally thousands of forums you can go to that can reinforce those beliefs.

Last edited:

Elie

Forum Supporter
Metformin blocks thiamine function which disrupts the Kreb's cycle resulting in lactic acidosis which equals Warburg's cancer metabolism.

Good find. This, off course is incongruent with the idea that metformin increases mitochondrial function.

mostlylurking

Good find. This, off course is incongruent with the idea that metformin increases mitochondrial function.
Direct opposite of what Metformin's study claims. This is a good example of "science" proving whatever the funder wants proven.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals