Metformin Alternatives?

Murtaza

So ive been reading this forum for quiet a while and have definitely increased my knowledge about general health. The thing is both my grandparents have been prescribed metformin and they take it religiously for their "diabetes".

Now i really wanna help them and ive shown them how harmful this drug can be. But they wont listen to me, and i dont blame them because why would they take advice from a guy whose studying economics at university over an MD, right? They are very rigid.

Is there anything peaty i can suggest they take that will show immediate results?
There is a good chance they wont even try it once but i wanna try my best.

Hans

Forum Supporter
So ive been reading this forum for quiet a while and have definitely increased my knowledge about general health. The thing is both my grandparents have been prescribed metformin and they take it religiously for their "diabetes".

Now i really wanna help them and ive shown them how harmful this drug can be. But they wont listen to me, and i dont blame them because why would they take advice from a guy whose studying economics at university over an MD, right? They are very rigid.

Is there anything peaty i can suggest they take that will show immediate results?
Aspirin will drop their elevated blood sugar quickly because it lowers stress hormones which is elevating lipolysis and gluconeogenesis.

mrchibbs

My dad (in his early 60s) has just been diagnosed with diabetes type II, and he's on metformin as of 2 weeks ago. I'm trying to steer him towards aspirin as well, it seems to take care of the pathology of diabetes better than metformin.

Naringenin (the active flavonoid in grapefruit, orange peel and juices) seems to also have very potent antidiabetic effects:

Ahmed, Osama M et al. “Navel orange peel hydroethanolic extract, naringin and naringenin have anti-diabetic potentials in type 2 diabetic rats.” Biomedicine & pharmacotherapy = Biomedecine & pharmacotherapie vol. 94 (2017): 197-205. doi:10.1016/j.biopha.2017.07.094 The treatments with navel orange peel hydroethanolic extract, naringin and narengenin potentially alleviated the lowered serum insulin and C-peptide levels, the depleted liver glycogen content, the elevated liver glucose-6-phosphatase and glycogen phosphorylase activities, the deteriorated serum lipid profile, and the suppressed liver antioxidant defense system of NA/STZ-induced type 2 diabetic rats.

So, marmalade can probably be very therapeutic as well. Grapefruit and mandarins have the highest concentration of naringin (which is turned into naringenin in the gut), so making a homemade marmalade and eating lots of it can help support the aspirin.

Getting vitamin D levels up also takes care of many issues of glucose metabolism.

OP
M

Murtaza

Aspirin will drop their elevated blood sugar quickly because it lowers stress hormones which is elevating lipolysis and gluconeogenesis.
My dad (in his early 60s) has just been diagnosed with diabetes type II, and he's on metformin as of 2 weeks ago. I'm trying to steer him towards aspirin as well, it seems to take care of the pathology of diabetes better than metformin.

Naringenin (the active flavonoid in grapefruit, orange peel and juices) seems to also have very potent antidiabetic effects:

Ahmed, Osama M et al. “Navel orange peel hydroethanolic extract, naringin and naringenin have anti-diabetic potentials in type 2 diabetic rats.” Biomedicine & pharmacotherapy = Biomedecine & pharmacotherapie vol. 94 (2017): 197-205. doi:10.1016/j.biopha.2017.07.094 The treatments with navel orange peel hydroethanolic extract, naringin and narengenin potentially alleviated the lowered serum insulin and C-peptide levels, the depleted liver glycogen content, the elevated liver glucose-6-phosphatase and glycogen phosphorylase activities, the deteriorated serum lipid profile, and the suppressed liver antioxidant defense system of NA/STZ-induced type 2 diabetic rats.

So, marmalade can probably be very therapeutic as well. Grapefruit and mandarins have the highest concentration of naringin (which is turned into naringenin in the gut), so making a homemade marmalade and eating lots of it can help support the aspirin.

Getting vitamin D levels up also takes care of many issues of glucose metabolism.
thanks for the suggestions guys! so far im thinking aspirin, niacinamide and vit D. i believe mildronate would be great for their cause but there is no way they would take a russian drug.

Hans

Forum Supporter
thanks for the suggestions guys! so far im thinking aspirin, niacinamide and vit D. i believe mildronate would be great for their cause but there is no way they would take a russian drug.
Perhaps instead of mildronate you can give them pyruvate or Pyrucet from Idealabs.

ilhanxx

I strongly advice put some stick cinnamon in all hot drinks. You will feel difference.